Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2007, 20:06   #46
Senior - BHPian

We have done a few Amby power steering conversions. I have found the Lancer PS unit to be the best fit with the least modifications. You can pick up the Lancer steering unit (new) for about 12K in Chennai
Old 29th November 2007, 20:07   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
complete set of working land master gold meters available with a guy in Mysore asking price Rs.3500.if interested i can pass on his contact no
Please pass on the contact details by PM please, does he have anything else?
Old 29th November 2007, 21:19   #48
Team-BHP Support

Steer, that meter from ebay is a fake one as Karlos mentioned. Original meter says 90 miles.

Check out that Mysore contact.
Old 29th November 2007, 22:28   #49
BHPian

congrats on your project! glad to see that you're getting it as original as possible.
i'd seen this black landmaster (1st time i was seeing one with original grills)
but he'd murdered the car with interiors of a newer model
Old 30th November 2007, 00:02   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Steer, that meter from ebay is a fake one as Karlos mentioned. Original meter says 90 miles.

Check out that Mysore contact.
Saar meter from eBay is original for Oxford Isis - the 1.8 litre version, I think.
Old 30th November 2007, 00:13   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Saar meter from eBay is original for Oxford Isis - the 1.8 litre version, I think.
The Isis is a variation on our Amby. Note the two tone dividing line. Looks pretty smart eh?

Old 30th November 2007, 11:14   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, QS - I'll take you up on the offer!
Quicksilver just confirmed that the old windtones with his dad are indeed the original Jwala horns. So my car will feature original horns!

Thank you once more!
Old 30th November 2007, 11:44   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quicksilver just confirmed that the old windtones with his dad are indeed the original Jwala horns. So my car will feature original horns!
Just to point out, they are Jalwa, and not Jwala .

Jalwas were made in India in the 70s, and used to sell for 74 rupees brand new. I picked up a set last year for 600! They seem to be a knock off of the Mitsuba horns, which were made in Japan, and were a common sight on most Landys and Ambys. Jalwa knock offs included Venus and Sharco, besides a couple more. All of these had black trumpets, with bright red covers.
These are the regular Jalwas, adorning my Standard 10.

These are a smaller, shriller version.

These are Venus. Note the ridge at the base of the cover, absent in the others. This cover design is identical to the Claxons.

A set of good Mitsubas today (if you can find them) would be nothing less than 2k to a person who understands them, their sound is superb! The Mitsubas were in turn a knock off of some English brand, probably a Claxon design, which, needless to say, are the most valuable and more rare. The Mitsubas and Claxons featured a black cover.

These are Claxons factory fitted to a Vanguard.

The other popular horn was the Bosch "ping" type pair with a metal grille. My Standard 10 was fitted with a set when new, for a princely 475 rupees, which was ridiculously expensive at the time. The car was stolen and recovered in the 90s, but alas the horns didnt return with the car. Illustrated are a pair of smaller Rootes, though somewhat similar in appearence.

Old 30th November 2007, 12:02   #54
Team-BHP Support

Nice post Karl. I have heard the Jalwa horns in your President as well as the Standard. Do you have a demo of Mitsuba's by any chance?

What are the horns that have a dome like the Jalwa / Mitsuba's and a trumpet ahead of it called? Seen on Chudasama's Merc and many other vintages.
Old 30th November 2007, 12:10   #55
BANNED

Oh GOD!

Karl! Do you eat, drink and live by this???
Man!!!! Keep it up!
Old 30th November 2007, 12:16   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Nice post Karl. I have heard the Jalwa horns in your President as well as the Standard. Do you have a demo of Mitsuba's by any chance?

What are the horns that have a dome like the Jalwa / Mitsuba's and a trumpet ahead of it called? Seen on Chudasama's Merc and many other vintages.
The President currently runs Sharcos, similar in design. Mitsubas are on my Select.

Chudasamas Merc sports the German equivalent of the famed Claxon design. The genuine Claxons are present on this Phantom 3 Rolls Royce. Expect them to fetch over half a lakh of rupees. Yup, you read that right.

Old 30th November 2007, 12:17   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Karl! Do you eat, drink and live by this???
Man!!!! Keep it up!
Well, Ive been known to be called "the Horny one..."
Old 30th November 2007, 12:52   #58
Team-BHP Support

Please start a thread for Classic horns? Please?
Old 30th November 2007, 14:23   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

The other popular horn was the Bosch "ping" type pair with a metal grille.

Illustrated are a pair of smaller Rootes, though somewhat similar in appearence.

Wow, I did not know the Jalwa's were OE for the Land Master. All I could remember were the sessions I had with my Dad when we used to spend days together, tuning the horns to get the sound right. I don't think we spend as much time today even in tuning the ICE part

It was an elaborate process, he would first tune both horns (Low & High tones) separately bit by bit, trying to see if the sound is just right, then tune them in unison, and then put them through a testing session (short beeps, continuous honking, then a combination of both, etc that would last for atleast 30 mins) that would make a Car audio tuner feel inferior.

Steer, I happen to have both of the horns featured above for you... the Jalwas, from what I remember, should be in the same state but the Bosch ones are better. It looks slightly bigger than whats shown above. Too bad my Dad lost the tool kit that came with the Bosch for tuning. But I guess now we can easily source those Ellen keys needed for tuning those.

Glad I am able to play a small part on your restoration project
Old 30th November 2007, 14:58   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Wow, I did not know the Jalwa's were OE for the Land Master. All I could remember were the sessions I had with my Dad when we used to spend days together, tuning the horns to get the sound right. I don't think we spend as much time today even in tuning the ICE part

Steer, I happen to have both of the horns featured above for you... the Jalwas, from what I remember, should be in the same state but the Bosch ones are better. It looks slightly bigger than whats shown above. Too bad my Dad lost the tool kit that came with the Bosch for tuning. But I guess now we can easily source those Ellen keys needed for tuning those.
I doubt Jalwas and Mitsubas were offered as OE, but were very popular and almost everyone had them.

I cant find pics of the original Bosch, they too came in 2 sizes. The larger ones were really huge, and had a deafening sound when freshly tuned. My uncle used to honk them before Wadia college back in the 60s on his way to work, and the watchman at the Ruby Hall Clinic a km away would know he's coming.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed