Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2008, 18:19   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
W H A T ? ? ?
The car is not ready yet???????

If the car is not do-able by Motorsmiths, then atleast they should inform Steeroid by now. No car takes more than 2 weeks for a proper paintjob. 2 months???? A bit tad too much.
Afterall, he has selected a professional workshop and not just another wayside mechanic.
That reminds me- it took my fiat select (recently sold) more than 2 months to get painted! Worse part is that the guy is just a wayside painter, he had no booth or even a tin-shed! 'left the car lying all stripped up in the gulley exposed to the rains all those days, and it resulted in the ignition coil and horn-button (original) getting water into them and they eventually stopped working!
Old 2nd June 2008, 21:37   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
@Karl. Yes, I understand it's going to be worthwhile. But the complaint Steeroid has here is due the irresponsibility from Motorsmiths. They could've atleast kept him updated with the problems they have in finishing the car's job. Afterall, he has selected a professional workshop and not just another wayside mechanic. Ain't it??? Or was he wrong in understanding them??
Dont get me wrong, I was merely being a tad sarcastic. Absolutely the garage is at fault. With experience Ive seen the minute they see vintage or classic, expect the timeframe to go way out of hand. Usually some stupid excuse is given like its hard to work on older cars and lack of spares, even when it is a paint job and spares have nothing to do with it! Moreso when the owner is not physically present and supervising, they tend to take it very lightly. It is an unfortunate reality.
Old 3rd June 2008, 04:19   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Dont get me wrong, I was merely being a tad sarcastic. Absolutely the garage is at fault. With experience Ive seen the minute they see vintage or classic, expect the timeframe to go way out of hand. Usually some stupid excuse is given like its hard to work on older cars and lack of spares, even when it is a paint job and spares have nothing to do with it! Moreso when the owner is not physically present and supervising, they tend to take it very lightly. It is an unfortunate reality.
iv had the same problem in the past with my classic e30 bmw e30 m3
Old 3rd June 2008, 14:53   #169
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Only in this case, no stupid excuses were given either. And to emphasise on the issue, this was supposed to be a very professional workshop!
Old 3rd June 2008, 15:26   #170
Senior - BHPian

Guys

Let us not turn this into a garage-bashing thread. That wasnt what I had intended.

My post yesterday contains facts that nobody can deny or contest. I did hear some squeals about that post yesterday, but if those that are unhappy today found no reason to contest my posts when I feted them or praised their work on this thread (and on others) they should learn to take negative feedback in their stride as well.

Zak and others - while I realize there is a lot bubbling under the surface from your own experiences, we really shouldnt use this forum to vent those feelings.
Old 3rd June 2008, 15:57   #171
Senior - BHPian

Ok Steer, but is the engine done?
Old 3rd June 2008, 16:08   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Ok Steer, but is the engine done?
I believe there is an engine of some sort on the car right now, but I have also bought Rush's (i.e., GTO's) 1800 ISZ and that has landed in B'lore today. Freight has been paid to the transporter today and it should reach the garage tomorrow.

The plan is to have a running, painted car ready by the time I reach India this time (10th) so that I can drive the car down to Coimbatore and hand it over to Koya's. Do you want to join the drive? (assuming that I will actually get the car, that is!!!).

Koya's will then do the interiors - seats, doorpads, roof liners, dashboard, steering, etc. They can be relied upon to complete the job within a committed date, based on prior experience.

Hopefully, I will be able to get the car ready for my dad's NEXT birthday - the car was intended to be gifted on his 70th, but that wasnt to happen even with the timeframe originally committed by the garage.

Last edited by Steeroid : 3rd June 2008 at 16:13.
Old 3rd June 2008, 16:45   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
The plan is to have a running, painted car ready by the time I reach India this time (10th) so that I can drive the car down to Coimbatore and hand it over to Koya's. Do you want to join the drive? (assuming that I will actually get the car, that is!!!).
If she's ready by then yeah, I'm game! Should be fun albeit slower than our last cross-country drive!! Will be a different experience.
Old 3rd June 2008, 17:08   #174
Senior - BHPian

@steer, any chance of seeing this car in cochin this time??
Old 3rd June 2008, 17:11   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
@steer, any chance of seeing this car in cochin this time??
Nope. I myself havent seen the car since it landed in Bangalore in November last year ( Gosh - that was such a long time ago!!!!!). I dont even know for sure whether it will be in drivable condition at all, or if it will still be 'ready for painting'.
Old 3rd June 2008, 19:59   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Nope. I myself havent seen the car since it landed in Bangalore in November last year ( Gosh - that was such a long time ago!!!!!). I dont even know for sure whether it will be in drivable condition at all, or if it will still be 'ready for painting'.
Heck, even this time if the car is just in 'ready for painting' mode, bring it down to cochin na??? we can get it completed from somewhere here right?? On TIME!!
Old 3rd June 2008, 21:41   #177
BHPian

True Steeroid, why did't you get the car done in kerala. There are so many good mech in and around thodupuzha, pala, kottayam etc and am sure they would have done an excellent job with the car.

Also can you pls tell me if its still possible to purchase those tyres seen in the pics with those white srtipe on the outside. I do not know what they are called but one of my friend from Thodupuzha was actually looking out for his mark-II ambassador.
Old 3rd June 2008, 23:05   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Also can you pls tell me if its still possible to purchase those tyres seen in the pics with those white srtipe on the outside. I do not know what they are called but one of my friend from Thodupuzha was actually looking out for his mark-II ambassador.
They re called Whitewall tires jango. Ceat makes them, I think they are called Ceat Safety Drive.
Old 4th June 2008, 00:30   #179
BANNED

Plan B?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
True Steeroid, why did't you get the car done in kerala. There are so many good mech in and around thodupuzha, pala, kottayam etc and am sure they would have done an excellent job with the car.
There was actually a plan B like something of that sort when this ready for painting mode went on and on. Then, Steer decided to wait a bit more.
This time, I am sure he will do that if it ain't ready.
Old 4th June 2008, 07:50   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
They re called Whitewall tires jango. Ceat makes them, I think they are called Ceat Safety Drive.
Thanks JayD. Do u have any contact info of any dealers that sell them in cochin or around. Much appreciated.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks