Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2008, 10:39   #241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
my car runs on 165 sized 15inchers on stock rims, forgot the profile.It's MRF. I am thinking about changing the PCD to that of Swift so that i can get a good pair of Alloys and better Tyre options. don't know weather it will foul with the wheel arches. but i would recommend against getting the PCD changed to Gypsy if Steer is thinking bout getting some classic looking alloys cause the alloys available for gypsy rims are extremely oversiezed for Amby's and Landos.
The PS unit is OE Amby. I was asked to put in the Lancer unit, but we'll see how well this holds up (after all it is OE for a later version of this car) before we decide on a change.

We're putting in Gypsy rims today, I think with Apollo Accelere or something like that.

We're not putting in alloys. These will be OE gypsy steel wheels.

No alloys on a classic.

I'm hoping for more pictures today - the last bits like wiring and stuff are going in as we speak.

PS: Someone is helping me source a Panasonic Valve headunit. If it works out, this car will have more than decent ICE though I'm tempted to put in fake chinese pioneer speakers

Last edited by Steeroid : 24th June 2008 at 10:41.
Old 25th June 2008, 18:29   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
You sure you want to do that. Because the Swift has a 4 bolt pattern instead of the Amby's 5 bolt patterns. Amby weighs more than the Swift, one stud less on each wheel might be a bad idea. Another important question - The original Amby wheels are they hub centric or lug centric?
I Went Around and checked what kind of alloys are avilable for the ambassador without changing the PCD found only two models of Auras . Then there are around 10 varietys of the el-chepo RADO alloys which is Made In Coimbatore. So the only solution to that is i thought getting the pcd changed to that of the swift and buy a lenso or something like that. But Sankar Just enlightned me and i think i also will go steer Bhai's way by putting in Gypsy wheels. Cash is another major constraint that i am worried about.
Old 25th June 2008, 19:28   #243
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
PS: Someone is helping me source a Panasonic Valve headunit. If it works out, this car will have more than decent ICE though I'm tempted to put in fake chinese pioneer speakers
I would vote for chinese speaker with a fake chinese HU. It will make lots of Dhin chak Dhin chak. Louder than LBM's setups. LOL!!

Whatever it is, please get enough of jute damping for the floors. Will help in making the car sound more quiet, reduce heat and make CHINESE speakers sound better.
Old 25th June 2008, 21:35   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I would vote for chinese speaker with a fake chinese HU. It will make lots of Dhin chak Dhin chak. Louder than LBM's setups. LOL!!

Whatever it is, please get enough of jute damping for the floors. Will help in making the car sound more quiet, reduce heat and make CHINESE speakers sound better.
And pls don't forget the TS-20s. We need more Dhinchak u see!!
Old 26th June 2008, 11:11   #245
Senior - BHPian

Pictures received today. The firewall is ready as is the roof moulding:

Also received some pics of the semaphore working earlier (which went into the junk/spam folder so I didnt see them):

My Landmaster Project-image020.jpg

My Landmaster Project-image055.jpg

My Landmaster Project-image056.jpg

My Landmaster Project-image058.jpg

My Landmaster Project-dsc00559.jpg

My Landmaster Project-dsc00561.jpg
Old 26th June 2008, 11:27   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

A 40 year old will soon get company !

Steer, it looks to be coming up really well. Will try check it out in person this weekend.
Old 26th June 2008, 11:31   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Very cool. Very! One of the best firewall jons Ive seen. Im glad the SS wipers have been added, its a nice touch.
Old 26th June 2008, 12:13   #248
BHPian

Lovely paint job, the roof moulding has been executed well too so is the engine bay.

Good job by the guys. This goes to say that even if time was taken the job executed was of a high order.

Regarding the Panasonic, I must say that you are fortunate to get it at around 500 US$, the regular price on the Net is around 950$ as far as I have seen. All the best for getting it and just to see that set and the lovely Lando I would be troubling you for a dekho in the near future.
Old 26th June 2008, 12:48   #249
Senior - BHPian

Wow!!! She's looking great! Cant wait to see it in person!!
Old 26th June 2008, 14:30   #250
BHPian

Bring it home buddy ,bring it home waiting to see it in person, it's at Koyas CBE now right ?
Old 26th June 2008, 21:22   #251
Team-BHP Support

The garage is doing a well detailed job! Me like it
Old 27th June 2008, 09:05   #252
Senior - BHPian

I like it too! This is the first time i'm seeing a trafficator in action. The roof lining looks very well made. It's all coming together nice!

Could some one please answer this one koshun i have.

Q) Why do they put an additional layer of aluminium sheet on the original firewall?
Is it done for the reason of aesthetic appeal. Or is some kind of sound proofing material sandwiched between the aluminium sheet and the firewall so as to improve in cabin NVH.

I've seen the aluminium firewall in muneemmk's Amby rebuild too.

One more koshun How are the trafficators activated; Is it electro mechanical or is it just mechanical?

Last edited by Sankar : 27th June 2008 at 09:09.
Old 27th June 2008, 11:45   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could some one please answer this one koshun i have.

Q) Why do they put an additional layer of aluminium sheet on the original firewall?
Is it done for the reason of aesthetic appeal. Or is some kind of sound proofing material sandwiched between the aluminium sheet and the firewall so as to improve in cabin NVH.

I've seen the aluminium firewall in muneemmk's Amby rebuild too.
Both reasons. Most ambys in Kerala feature this kind of aluminium firewall so that there is better heat insulation - especially if the car is airconditioned. They normally use a layer of some kind of foam or even matting (coir) between the aluminium and the original firewall. The MS tinker Santhosh learnt his amby work from Kerala, so I guess he improved upon it.

In this instance I'm told some kind of bitumin-based liquid was used for the sandwich. I dont know if some fibre/foam or matting was also used, but I wouldnt be surprised if I find it there, given the tinker's background.

Quote:
One more koshun How are the trafficators activated; Is it electro mechanical or is it just mechanical?
Electro-mechanical. Karlos would be better qualified to give you the exact details.

EDIT: Where's that chap Zak? He's got pictures taken yesterday - I believe he missed his flight (again !) after he spent more time at the garage than he had anticipated.

Last edited by Steeroid : 27th June 2008 at 11:50.
Old 27th June 2008, 16:07   #254
BANNED

That chap missed his flight as usual and ended up in a train which was quite good as he didn't have to sleep the whole night. Just woke up in time to get ready for (yet another) wedding in his family.

Guys! The work done on the car is phenomenal. I won't be wrong if I say that this is indeed one of the best body restoration works I've seen in my short life. Full marks to the people who have worked on it.
The garage has appointed a good person in charge of the car. Now, there'll be less delays and confusions I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
5. Last but not the least, this young member will help by staying away from it all - v1p3r
I would seriously recommend this to be reinvoked. Everything else is fine regarding the car and it's work progress as of yesterday.
Old 27th June 2008, 16:15   #255
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Steeroid!

Does the trafficators have lights inside them? I saw a beetle trafficator on a website it had a bulb inside.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks