Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2008, 23:57   #46
BHPian

Will try. Spotted it and clicked away with my cell after asking for his permission.
Old 3rd December 2008, 17:25   #47
BHPian

Heres a few pics i took of Nitits bay window a few weeks ago,Great condition inside and out,will be going out in it this weekend so get some good interior pics then.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Van's from Goa-hpim1681-resized.jpg  

VW Van's from Goa-hpim1680-resized.jpg  

VW Van's from Goa-hpim1678-resized.jpg  

Old 3rd December 2008, 18:35   #48
BANNED

Beeuuutiiiffuuuulll...

Looks really nice, could have been better off without those extra lights on the front and the rear.
Old 4th December 2008, 09:05   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw splitscreen View Post
Heres a few pics i took of Nitits bay window a few weeks ago,Great condition inside and out,will be going out in it this weekend so get some good interior pics then.
GGG-2221 very nice looking car. Is this car is used by user every day?
Old 13th April 2009, 03:30   #50
BHPian

Here are the pics as promised,sorry a little later than intended.For the most part,this bus is very original including the paint and OG engine and is a superb driver.Enjoy the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Van's from Goa-paul-knight-nitin-060.jpg  

VW Van's from Goa-paul-knight-nitin-077.jpg  

VW Van's from Goa-paul-knight-nitin-059.jpg  

VW Van's from Goa-paul-knight-nitin-080.jpg  

VW Van's from Goa-paul-knight-nitin-078.jpg  

VW Van's from Goa-paul-knight-nitin-074.jpg  

Old 13th April 2009, 12:01   #51
Senior - BHPian

Just wondering why are these Vans being refered to as Busses.

A Bus is a much larger vehicle and all over the world these VW s are called Vans
Old 13th April 2009, 12:38   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw splitscreen View Post
Here are the pics as promised,sorry a little later than intended.For the most part,this bus is very original including the paint and OG engine and is a superb driver.Enjoy the pics.
Hi, nice pics of Nitin's bus, we're planning to drive ours to Goa next month
Old 13th April 2009, 13:31   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post

A Bus is a much larger vehicle and all over the world these VW s are called Vans

Wasif,

They are called MicroBus'es. Not full blown bus'es what we see on roads

Presenting my 1971 VW Baywindow Microbus for records
Attached Thumbnails
VW Van's from Goa-dsc08443.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2009, 03:12   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomUsername View Post
Hi, nice pics of Nitin's bus, we're planning to drive ours to Goa next month
Thanks [Santaji Are you going to see Nitin while your there
Give him my regards please and have a good trip.check out his splitscreen also,just had some new work done on it
Old 14th April 2009, 11:08   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post

A Bus is a much larger vehicle and all over the world these VW's are called Vans
Hi Wasif,
Well these VW vans were called Microbusses in Germany at least for the first two generations. The later T3 van was not called a Microbus even in Germany though it was a bit larger. I believe later on these were called vans, that must have come from America. Today they refer their pick-ups as trucks. But they certainly are not.
We also differentiate the Microbusses into two categories, split screen and baywindow. Now where did that come from.
I am too lazy to search, but I am sure that there were official designations. Any idea what these were?
Cheers Harit
Old 14th April 2009, 12:04   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
We also differentiate the Microbusses into two categories, split screen and baywindow. Now where did that come from.
I am too lazy to search, but I am sure that there were official designations. Any idea what these were?
Cheers Harit
Since VWs have always had such a fanatic following, various terms were coined along the way that stuck. The Beetle was never officially called the Beelte to being with, it is a pet name that at some point became acceptable. Early split screen Vans/Buses are called 'Barndoors' because of the rear hatch arrangement. Bumpers with over rider bars are referred to as 'towel rail' bumpers. 52-55 steering wheels were called 'batwing' because of the quaintly designed spokes, very early number plate lights on KDFwagens were nicknamed 'pope's nose' for their appearance - the list goes on.
Old 14th April 2009, 12:19   #57
BHPian

For a minute I was afraid 'bus' meant these vans were being used as public transport!!

Immaculately maintained, except for the blue one on the first page. A joy to look at! I've never seen one in person, I don't think. The side profile of the yellow one on this page looks a bit like a Matador though!
Old 14th April 2009, 12:52   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
We also differentiate the Microbusses into two categories, split screen and baywindow.
Split Screen - Obviously look at the front screen.

Bay window is shaped more like an unsliced Bread Loaf it was also called that the "Loaf".

What i had (sold mine) and Pavan has are 1971 T2a Model Bay Windows, the first iteration to lose the splitscreen.

What Nitin has is the 1973 T2b Model Bay Window.

The easily spottable differences between the two are - the indicators move up next to the grill just below the windsheild in the T2b, in the T2a they are located just above the front bumpers, they are square shaped whereas the T2a's are curved slightly with the bodywork. In the T2b the fuel filler is like the one's found on older Ambassador's the turn and then lock type's, in the T2a the fuel filler is behind a lockable flap. The other major cosmetic change are the bumpers. The T2a's front bumpers flowed below and under the front overhang whereas in the T2b they were squared off in the front.

After the T2b, there was a T2c i guess. This had a slightly taller roof. These never came to India. These were in production in Brazil and still are i think, maybe someone can confirm.

After the T2a,b,c came the T3 and was called Transporter. Thats a totally different model and didnt capture the aura of the earlier models.

Since the T2b was in production for much longer then the T2a the spares are much more easier to get and cheaper. Those looking for a Bay window consider this aspect before buying one. You can get a T2b much cheaper then the T2a.

Last edited by Spitfire : 14th April 2009 at 12:54.
Old 15th April 2009, 15:35   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
For a minute I was afraid 'bus' meant these vans were being used as public transport!!

Immaculately maintained, except for the blue one on the first page. A joy to look at! I've never seen one in person, I don't think. The side profile of the yellow one on this page looks a bit like a Matador though!
Thank you sir for calling a timeless classic a matador.

There's a saying in kannada "Mangana kayalli Manikkya"

The yellow one is a rare 1971 1600cc, Left Hand Drive, VW Baywindow Microbus. It seats 8 and allows one adult or 2 kids to sleep peacefully behind., it also has a walk through asile.

I'll put better pics in few days. Thank you
Old 15th April 2009, 16:00   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Thank you sir for calling a timeless classic a matador.

There's a saying in kannada "Mangana kayalli Manikkya"

The yellow one is a rare 1971 1600cc, Left Hand Drive, VW Baywindow Microbus. It seats 8 and allows one adult or 2 kids to sleep peacefully behind., it also has a walk through asile.

I'll put better pics in few days. Thank you
Mr.Perakath it is better to know the history of the vehicle before comparing it to other vehicles.

and hurting other people's mind by comparing the dear one's with a diff league of vehicle.

Most Viewed