Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2009, 21:03   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Update again- we were blessed with progress again today, with the once-stubborn RH rear drum finally opening up at looong last!!

It was opened the same way as the LH one, described above. The lathe machine guys were visibly relieved! Then the whole shebang was loaded onto an auto rickshaw and taken back to the garage where the car is.

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_3856.jpg

Unfortunately, my camera batteries were down at the time, so couldn't take proper pics. until I recharged them at a friend's camera store, by which time the diff. had already been opened up too:

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_3857.jpg

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_3858.jpg

Only the central flange at the front needs to be opened, for which my man's going to bring a box-spanner tomorrow morning. Then after scraping off the old muck, the entire exterior rear axle will be joining the leaf springs for sandblasting.

Both the rear drums/backplates and axle shafts stored safely inside the boot of the car. This rear drum too, doesn't look too bad, although is all seized solid with rust! 'hope we could get it to work.

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_3859.jpg

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_3860.jpg

NOTE: Contemplating giving the drums too (but NOT the backplates) for sandblasting as well. Is this recommended?? Anyone who's successfully done this before? Advice from experts welcome.

Last edited by Stanher : 4th November 2009 at 21:08.
Old 4th November 2009, 21:28   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

NOTE: Contemplating giving the drums too (but NOT the backplates) for sandblasting as well. Is this recommended?? Anyone who's successfully done this before? Advice from experts welcome.

Well i think you should just scrape them down for the time being and then paint them with primer.Later when you do the final painting of the car then you could paint it with epoxy black.This is what we had done on my mercedes have a look at these pics you will understand what i am saying http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1395081
Old 4th November 2009, 22:44   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Well i think you should just scrape them down for the time being and then paint them with primer.Later when you do the final painting of the car then you could paint it with epoxy black.This is what we had done on my mercedes have a look at these pics you will understand what i am saying
Thanks. I remember seeing pics. of this car before, looks nice. No offence meant but it looks like it was an unrestored car, and reasonably roadworthy? So the brake drums may not have gone through as rough a time as these? Another alternative I have in mind is to get them scraped, then treated with caustic soda then use phosphoric acid on them? In the end of course, I do intend to paint them.

Last edited by Stanher : 4th November 2009 at 22:47.
Old 4th November 2009, 23:03   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I remember seeing pics. of this car before, looks nice. No offence meant but it looks like it was an unrestored car, and reasonably roadworthy? So the brake drums may not have gone through as rough a time as these? Another alternative I have in mind is to get them scraped, then treated with caustic soda then use phosphoric acid on them? In the end of course, I do intend to paint them.
Well it is unrestored now.It was last restored close to 15 years back.After that this car has not participated in any rally or event because we didn't have the tyres for the car.Now this year in june we have got the tyres imported and then we decided to take it for a spin as the engine and all is in perfectly running condition.We just opened the drums to service them only to find that the oil seals had vorne out.Since we opened it we decided to change both the oil seals and flushed the differential.Now having opening all four drums then it was decided to paint them as well so that when we start the restoration process we don't have to open them again.The car was jacked up for 8 years and then was moved from our previous residence to our current one and for about 7 years.Its alright i understand. I have uploaded a pic of it when it last went to the rally its on that thread.

Why do you want to increase your work ?You have enough on your plate at the moment.So i think going for a simpler method would be worth considering.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 4th November 2009 at 23:16.
Old 7th November 2009, 16:41   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Apologies for the break but my net was down y'day!

, interesting to know about your car! 'glad it's up and running now.

Anyways, update: On second thought, it was decided to not get the springs sandblasted, jus tthe diff./rear axle would suffice. So the springs came back with us on our 2nd trip when we went to hand over the axle the other day, in my car.

It was finally done today. 'seems to have turned out well, at a reasonable enough price too. 'brought it back in my car again and left it at the workshop with the Vauxhall.

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_3875.jpg

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_3876.jpg

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_3877.jpg

The guy was also thoughtful enough to put a cardboard packing over the housing cover, secured with 4 bolts, so as to prevent the sand from 'attacking' the flange(?) inside. This way, only the exterior got the sandblasting.

He had warned me to get the thing primered/painted ASAP, as it would otherwise tend to corrode again, also even if we touched it with our hands, our finger stains would stick on to it.
Old 7th November 2009, 22:50   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apologies for the break but my net was down y'day!

, interesting to know about your car! 'glad it's up and running now.

Not a problem.

Well the car is running but not on the road.But am trying to see a way we can start.

Quote:

Anyways, update: On second thought, it was decided to not get the springs sandblasted, jus tthe diff./rear axle would suffice. So the springs came back with us on our 2nd trip when we went to hand over the axle the other day, in my car.

It was finally done today. 'seems to have turned out well, at a reasonable enough price too. 'brought it back in my car again and left it at the workshop with the Vauxhall.

Attachment 223411

Attachment 223412

Attachment 223413

The guy was also thoughtful enough to put a cardboard packing over the housing cover, secured with 4 bolts, so as to prevent the sand from 'attacking' the flange(?) inside. This way, only the exterior got the sandblasting.

He had warned me to get the thing primered/painted ASAP, as it would otherwise tend to corrode again, also even if we touched it with our hands, our finger stains would stick on to it.

Well that looks well done.Yes that is true you need to get the primer done asap even if you don't paint it now.Whats the status on the missing springs?
Old 8th November 2009, 11:18   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Whats the status on the missing springs?
Still lying with the car at the garage only. 'hope to give them for resetting tomorrow. I want to get this suspension work done ASAP so my man can proceed with the engine and finally have the bodywork commence.
Old 9th November 2009, 11:23   #83
BHPian

Thanks for the updates Shyam. I did pick up a few of the parts you suggested, they must be on their way to Bangalore now.

Found this video on you tube that features the Wyvern

Old 9th November 2009, 18:37   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestraveller View Post
Thanks for the updates Shyam. I did pick up a few of the parts you suggested, they must be on their way to Bangalore now.

Found this video on you tube that features the Wyvern
My pleasure, santhosh!

Incidentally, was planning to get in touch with you again. Do let me know what all parts you managed to buy btw.

Nice video. however, note that its not a Wyvern but a Velox!

Update: Nothing much as of today- axle shafts given for throughing at the lathe. The garage guys meanwhile, had unfortunately neglected the sandblasted diff./axle, which I'd left the other day, requesting them to atleast put a coat of primer on! It happened to be rainy the last 2 days, so the axle got partly ruined, showing signs of corrosion again!! Grrrrr!! I'm quite upset with this today!

Their painter was not available today, so they said will get it primed tomorrow.

Last edited by Stanher : 9th November 2009 at 18:53.
Old 9th November 2009, 19:32   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Update: Nothing much as of today- axle shafts given for throughing at the lathe. The garage guys meanwhile, had unfortunately neglected the sandblasted diff./axle, which I'd left the other day, requesting them to atleast put a coat of primer on! It happened to be rainy the last 2 days, so the axle got partly ruined, showing signs of corrosion again!! Grrrrr!! I'm quite upset with this today!

Their painter was not available today, so they said will get it primed tomorrow.
Has any portion with the sand blasting got washed off?
Old 9th November 2009, 20:12   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Has any portion with the sand blasting got washed off?
Doesnt look like it was washed off but got a couple of rusty-ish stains!!
Old 9th November 2009, 20:20   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doesnt look like it was washed off but got a couple of rusty-ish stains!!

use some sand paper over the rust spots to clean them and then paint it ASAP other wise its going to grow.
Old 9th November 2009, 20:45   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
use some sand paper over the rust spots to clean them and then paint it ASAP other wise its going to grow.
Sure thing. BTW, just a thought I had of painting the thing RED instead of the more common black! Is it worth it, considering that this part would be well-oiled/greased most of the time?
Old 9th November 2009, 20:52   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure thing. BTW, just a thought I had of painting the thing RED instead of the more common black! Is it worth it, considering that this part would be well-oiled/greased most of the time?

Well why not you can paint it any colour you wish to there is no hard and past rule about painting black.
Old 11th November 2009, 02:12   #90
Senior - BHPian

Mr. Shyam updateswith pics

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks