Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2010, 01:14   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Sorry, as you know, have been busy with the other project!

My mech. had been searching high and low for a guy who could rebuild the diff. (only mechs. who've worked on cars like Ambys would be familiar with this) but finally found one guy who's incidentally near to my area who agreed to take on the job.
So brought the disassembled diff. all the way down in my car and it is to be handed over to the guy. Once the rear suspension's reassembled, planning to take on the engine, gearbox etc.
Ok now what are you trying to get done on the differential as such ?Why don't you think of starting the body work?
Old 16th January 2010, 01:37   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Ok now what are you trying to get done on the differential as such ?Why don't you think of starting the body work?
I'm not sure what exactly it is, but it has something to do with lathe machine job. I presume to reduce the play/noise in the diff. which my mec. had pointed out was occuring in the diff.
Reg. bodywork, I had mentioned earlier that the Herald which I'm also restoring is being done up at the same garage where this car lies (you can see it partly in one of the herald pics. in that thread ) so priority has been given to that car for now.
I do plan to gradually suggest them proceeding with atleast initial stages of bodywork on this car after the Herald is half-way through.
Old 16th January 2010, 14:42   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure what exactly it is, but it has something to do with lathe machine job. I presume to reduce the play/noise in the diff. which my mec. had pointed out was occuring in the diff.
Reg. bodywork, I had mentioned earlier that the Herald which I'm also restoring is being done up at the same garage where this car lies (you can see it partly in one of the herald pics. in that thread ) so priority has been given to that car for now.
I do plan to gradually suggest them proceeding with atleast initial stages of bodywork on this car after the Herald is half-way through.
Ok thankx for that update on the differential.I would suggest since the mechs are doing the body on the herald get some more of the mechanicals of this one done and then interchange the tasks.
Old 28th January 2010, 12:41   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, about time since I posted an update in this thread!

The diff. is finally done and working normally now. No play/noise etc. is said to be found unlike before.

The rear brake drums are fitted by my mech. temporarily just to check the diff. It is found to be a little tight on what appears to be the RH side rear axle though (arrow-marked) To be sorted out soon.

Once everything is fit, the diff/axle will be painted up properly and the suspension reassembled.

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_4800.jpg

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_4803.jpg

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_4804.jpg

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_4805.jpg
Old 14th February 2010, 22:53   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmm...strange! No prompts for updates lately?

Anyways....as for now, the diff., after being made fit, was taken back to the garage and painted in what was called as an intermediate black (not too shiny, not too matt) that was actually being used to spray over an SS80's bumpers that day.

So we had it done on the diff. too.

To be refitted with the rest of the rear suspension.

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_5011.jpg

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_5012.jpg
Old 14th February 2010, 23:33   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm...strange! No prompts for updates lately?
Simple logic that is because you are being good to us by updateing the Herald thread that's why!
Old 5th May 2010, 09:11   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, clearing out the cobwebs on this thread at last!

Back with an update, although not too significant!

My mech. finally decided to reassemble the diff./rear suspension on the car, so we went there yesterday. All the fitting kits (bushes, bolts etc.)have been purchased.
So the rear leaf springs, which were all wrapped up and stored safe, were unpacked. The grease had gone dry by now, but they were still good.

However, on trying to fit them, it was found that the springs seemed to fall a bit too short for both ends! 'turned out that they were both reset about 1.5-2 inches too short to fit on both ends!
They could still fit, but it was too risky as it would cause excessive bouncing on the rear while running, and could even cause the car to overturn!

So it was decided to take the springs back to the resetting guy and dismantle them all over again, and beat them all down to stretch out by 1.5 inches.

This time, I decided that since they anyways were opened up, would get them painted, or atleast R.O primered, rather than simply grease them and fit them on.

So kept them aside for this. 'will be busy today and tomorrow with another engagement so will resume work only Friday onwards.

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_5953.jpg

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_5956.jpg

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_5961.jpg

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_5962.jpg

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_5963.jpg

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_5970.jpg

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_5974.jpg

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_5982.jpg

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_5985.jpg

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_5986.jpg

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_5987.jpg

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_5989.jpg
Old 5th May 2010, 11:01   #113
Senior - BHPian

Wow Shyam your really doing a very nice grounds up job, ever considered making this a career?
Old 5th May 2010, 18:37   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Wow Shyam your really doing a very nice grounds up job, ever considered making this a career?
Hehe! Thanks amol!

Well, I was suggested this a couple of times, also considered it myself...but in that case, I'll have to pray for more such cars ending up with me so I could make enough monthly to just survive!
Old 5th May 2010, 19:36   #115
BHPian

Stanher: I have a owner's handbook, if that would help in anyway.
Old 5th May 2010, 20:05   #116
Senior - BHPian

Good to see some activity in this thread. So the suspension work has finally started. Is it at the same garage where the Herald is being done up or at some other place.
Old 5th May 2010, 23:48   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Stanher: I have a owner's handbook, if that would help in anyway.
Hey pat, that's nice, thanks! bluestraveller did buy one too incidentally, but I told him to keep it safe with him. Its mostly trouble with procuring the parts I'm having though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Is it at the same garage where the Herald is being done up or at some other place.
Yup sagar bhai, the same garage! And with a few more other classics!
I've successfully turned it into a nearly all-classics garage in the last couple of years!

Last edited by Stanher : 5th May 2010 at 23:49.
Old 6th May 2010, 02:48   #118
Senior - BHPian

Thankfully your mechanic has started the work again .By looking at the pics there seems to be quite a bit of corrosion set in under the body.Seems like you have to quite a bit of body work.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 6th May 2010 at 02:56.
Old 6th May 2010, 08:41   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
By looking at the pics there seems to be quite a bit of corrosion set in under the body.Seems like you have to quite a bit of body work.
Yes, there is I'm afraid! But the garage guys will be able to sort it out I'm sure! In matters like these, IMHO the Herald is relatively simple to work on, with it's separate chassis.

Last edited by Stanher : 6th May 2010 at 08:42.
Old 6th May 2010, 20:22   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hehe! Thanks amol!

Well, I was suggested this a couple of times, also considered it myself...but in that case, I'll have to pray for more such cars ending up with me so I could make enough monthly to just survive!
Dont worry buddy I'll send all my future restorations to you. But on a serious note you are doing a very good detailed job, had I known you were going to restore the car, now i feel Maybe I should have bought it.when you put it up for sale from the scrapper

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks