Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2008, 07:07   #1
BHPian

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project

As some of you know Stan Her helped me acquire my first classic, a 1952 Vauxhall Wyvern. The car is currently being attended to by Stan's mechanic.
A lot of work needs to be done on this car to get her back to her glory days but we have made a start.
I want the car to be semi restored before I can move it to Bangalore (its currently in Hyderabad) and so the first priority is to get the engine running and get some body work and a coat of paint in the same original color. The engine has been opened up by stan's mechanic. There was mud under the valve casing and currently the head has also been opened up and the mechanic has suggested a re-bore and a complete overhaul.
Meanwhile I have been trying to get my hands on a few parts with moderate success and headaches. I have tons of questions and queries and want some valuable feedback from experts here.

Here is what I have bought so far
~Bonnet Flute Strips
~Tail Lights
~Body Trims
~Badges
Attached Thumbnails
The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-n20612833_34526613_4130.jpg  

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-mudinengine.jpg  

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-bodytrims.jpg  

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-wingscriptbadges.jpg  

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-lights.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by bluestraveller : 18th July 2008 at 07:14.
bluestraveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2008, 07:19   #2
BHPian

Question 1:

I have found a couple of speedometers on ebay but not sure if they will fit this car. Can anybody help?
1st one

2nd one
Attached Thumbnails
The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-af7b_1_sbl.jpg  

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-speedo2.jpg  

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-speedo3.jpg  

Old 18th July 2008, 10:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Great to see that the work has started on this car.. But dont focus on the cosmetics now. First get all the mechanical work done and only after this aspect is perfect, u can start on getting the bodywork done, and painting should be the final stage. After the cer is painted, its a pain to get work doe on it.

I don't htink both the speedos u've shown are original, but the black one looks really fantastic, Reminds me of an american car, but if u can't find the wyvern speedo, then go for the black one!

Last edited by JayD : 18th July 2008 at 10:57.
Old 18th July 2008, 13:41   #4

There is a WYVERN being restored in bombay at the petrol pump at Huges Road opposite R.T.I building. The car was being workd on in covers, but the front was open so i could recognise what it was. It is Grey with a tinge of blue. Watch out for this car at the next VCCCI rally. It is a STUNNER!!
Old 18th July 2008, 13:49   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
There is a WYVERN being restored in bombay at the petrol pump at Huges Road opposite R.T.I building. The car was being workd on in covers, but the front was open so i could recognise what it was. It is Grey with a tinge of blue. Watch out for this car at the next VCCCI rally. It is a STUNNER!!
Are you sure it is a Vauxhall? From what little I saw I presumed it to be a Ford Consul. I could be wrong.
Old 26th July 2008, 23:08   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Great to see that the work has started on this car.. But dont focus on the cosmetics now. First get all the mechanical work done and only after this aspect is perfect, u can start on getting the bodywork done, and painting should be the final stage. After the cer is painted, its a pain to get work doe on it.
I agree. Just that parts for this car are so hard to come by that I decided to keep hunting for them while the engine gets worked on.
Old 26th July 2008, 23:11   #7
BHPian

here is another list and pictures of parts found
Front bumper
Speedometer
Horn Cap
Quarter Glass Assemblies
Attached Thumbnails
The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-bumper1.jpg  

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-quarter-glass2.jpg  

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-speedometer.jpg  

The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-horncap.jpg  

Old 26th July 2008, 23:23   #8
BHPian

QUESTION 2: I'm very confused about this particular fitting on the bonnet. I don't know what to call it so I'm just calling it a bonnet handle. Some cars have it and some don't. Should my car have it?

Attached Images

Old 27th July 2008, 01:36   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestraveller View Post
here is another list and pictures of parts found
Front bumper
Speedometer
Horn Cap
Quarter Glass Assemblies
Quote:
QUESTION 2: I'm very confused about this particular fitting on the bonnet. I don't know what to call it so I'm just calling it a bonnet handle. Some cars have it and some don't. Should my car have it?
Wow, I'm glad you finally found the other cosmetic parts for your car!! Especially the bumper! Fabricating one would be so difficult!
Only 'wondering how you could get it home......hmmmm!

Regarding the bonnet ornament, AFA I can see, your car doesnt show any traces of having had one (see pic.)
Maybe it was just a period accessory/optional fitting?

BTW, now Ive a question as well- anyone who knows whether the speedos/dials were colour-coded? The one on the parts car look different than the ones on this car.
Attached Thumbnails
The Vauxhall Wyvern Project-img_0805.jpg  

Last edited by Stanher : 27th July 2008 at 01:42.
Old 19th May 2009, 11:53   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

So gentlemen, has there been any progress on the car? Do share some current pictures. What is the state mechanically?
Old 19th May 2009, 13:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Let me get this straight. You have two similar cars, one that is being restored and another for parts ?

Where did you get both from, never saw one of these in Hyderabad.

What is the deal with the parts car. Is it very bad ?

I would suggest doing up one as original and rodding the other. That front end without the bumber looks really mean.

Maybe a bigger six or a newer petrol four could be dropped in and with the addition of a good set of rims its gonna be a stunner. Specailly in deep blue, steel gray or black.
Old 19th May 2009, 13:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Impressive restoration but looks very elaborate and pain staking.Lots of parts to be obtained and restored.
Old 19th May 2009, 15:55   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Let me get this straight. You have two similar cars, one that is being restored and another for parts ?
Where did you get both from, never saw one of these in Hyderabad.
What is the deal with the parts car. Is it very bad ?
Um, sorry wasif but which 2 cars do you talk of? Bluestraveller is lucky(?) enough to have only one!
That's the rusty blue one minus the front bumper (which he managed to secure among many other parts- all the way from the UK!)

The car was photo'd at my place....'was parked at our building awhile before the housing board authorities had it chased out of there! Don't ask me why!

It's now undergoing restoration at a garage in sec'bad, albeit at glacial speed!

For your question reg. the origin- it indeed is an original hyd. regn. car, APX 9460, originally owned by a V D Rajarathnam & Sons, RP Road, Sec'bad (can't find any such co. anywhere there now though?) and has never been reg'd in anyone else's name thereafter.
It is said to be last owned by some eccentric old guy in Bolarum, Sec'bad where it seems to have been lying half-buried in mud before it was picked up by the scrapwala a year ago...then rescued by BT. 'rest is history (so far)
BTW, I was told of another one in Maroon lying by the roadside in Erramanzil Colony until it disappeard recently.

Quote:
I would suggest doing up one as original and rodding the other. That front end without the bumber looks really mean.
Maybe a bigger six or a newer petrol four could be dropped in and with the addition of a good set of rims its gonna be a stunner. Specailly in deep blue, steel gray or black.
'thought so too, myself! Since it sure is proving difficult to get any mechanical spares for this- even abroad!
'might've done it had I owned it....(note: I said "Might"! hehe)

Anyways, 'would love to talk more on this, but I've got my exams this week until Sat....so farewell for now my fair, medium, etc, noble etc. friends!
Shakespeare beckons!
Old 19th May 2009, 16:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Well there was talk about the gauges on the parts car and on the other being different colours that suggested there were two cars involved.

There was a late forty's Wyvern lying in Erramanzil colony that I remember too along with a Model A Ford.

Best of luck with your exams.
Old 5th June 2009, 00:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
As some of you know Stan Her helped me acquire my first classic, a 1952 Vauxhall Wyvern. The car is currently being attended to by Stan's mechanic.
A lot of work needs to be done on this car to get her back to her glory days but we have made a start.
I want the car to be semi restored before I can move it to Bangalore (its currently in Hyderabad) and so the first priority is to get the engine running and get some body work and a coat of paint in the same original color. The engine has been opened up by stan's mechanic. There was mud under the valve casing and currently the head has also been opened up and the mechanic has suggested a re-bore and a complete overhaul.
Meanwhile I have been trying to get my hands on a few parts with moderate success and headaches. I have tons of questions and queries and want some valuable feedback from experts here.

Here is what I have bought so far
~Bonnet Flute Strips
~Tail Lights
~Body Trims
~Badges

Congratulations - you have got company. There is one more Vauxhall getting ready in Chennai - 1953 Wyvern. Engine and body has been completed. Finishing is pending. Mohaan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks