Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2008, 21:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.

Hi everybody !
On 16th May 2008, my journey to a fiatful future finally began - I got MRX 6839 from dear Aditya. I brought her home, drove her around a fair bit, joined team BHP, and attended FCCCI meets. Six months went by, and it was finally time.
Time to stop procrastinating, and get going with her restoration. Had been seeing various threads, various projects by the great masters on TBHP. Wondered very often whether I'll be able to do it as well. Procrastinated some more, and finally took the plunge.
MRX 6839 is a 1962 fiat 1100, a Super Select. (her quarter glasses had been removed at some point, I believe). I'm her third owner. She's outwardly in good shape, but needs a fair bit of body work. Her engine sings an awesome note, and will not be opened / worked upon. The other areas needing attention are - the suspension up front, the steering mechanism which wanders a bit, and other minor mechanical bits.

Soli Mistry of Zenith Auto Works, Girgaum put the car through his thorough and unforgiving series of tests, and pronounced that she would be with him for a minimum of two months. ("Soli sir, my rally's on the 26th Jan" - "damn your rally. If you want to do a job, do it well, or else don't do it"). Have we heard this before ? .
So guys, she's finally gone. I'm going to miss those late night drives like hell - I guess it was the thought of separation that was making me put this off for so long !! At the end however, I guess it'll all have been worth it. Wish me good luck guys, and watch this space.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-phone-picture-122.jpg  

Old 25th November 2008, 21:37   #2

AHH!! Finally!! This is the Much Awaited Resto Thread!! Ravi, Dont hesitate to call for any help you need! BTW, What color will it be?
Old 25th November 2008, 21:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Finally, she goes in for the resto!! Seems to be in pretty good shape now, but am sure will be awesome once completed, pls post more pix of the current condition, and the interiors. What colour are u plannin to paint her in??
Old 25th November 2008, 22:36   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

SuperSelect you have got a very good car i feel. The quarter glasses can be got- its a long term programme.You'll also have to get the aluminium hub caps and Wow i am seeing an original rear bumper which is rare! The owner has also ornamented the rear boot cover at its centre with a chrome fin. Are the side indicators square or round shaped?
Wish you all the best in the restoration work.
Old 25th November 2008, 23:34   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
SuperSelect you have got a very good car i feel. The quarter glasses can be got- its a long term programme.
I think he already got a pair from chor bazaar.
Old 25th November 2008, 23:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys.. Anjan, thanks a lot for your comments, they are valued. As Shyam says, I do have a very good pair of quarter glasses procured from one of my many trips to chor bazaar - more on the parts inventory later !
@ JayD and Cyrus: the colour is still a long while away , though I'm debating between various shades of blue.
Old 25th November 2008, 23:53   #7
BHPian

Alright Ravi so the journey begins.
Wish you and your car well.
Old 26th November 2008, 08:03   #8
Team-BHP Support

Wish you all the best, Ravi.
A few things. I saw a picture of the car taken long before I was born or even before my parents knew each other - it didn't have quarter glasses even then. If they were ever present, they must have been removed by the first owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
SuperSelect you have got a very good car i feel. The quarter glasses can be got- its a long term programme.You'll also have to get the aluminium hub caps and Wow i am seeing an original rear bumper which is rare! The owner has also ornamented the rear boot cover at its centre with a chrome fin. Are the side indicators square or round shaped?
The bumpers and grille have been on the car from the start. The chrome fin on the boot was added sometime in the early eighties, I think - before I understood anything about car repairs.
The first side indicators on the car, which I can remember, were different. The were large, had a lot of chrome and were shaped like an arrow. I'm trying to procure a picture of them. The current ones were added in the eighties.
Also lost over the years - a Fiat 1100 badge on the boot and a "standing" FIAT logo located at the base of the hood ornament.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th November 2008 at 08:08.
Old 26th November 2008, 08:51   #9
BHPian

Good luck with the resto - SuperSelect. You have the grand daddy of all restorers Mr Dhabar in town.

Vijay
Old 26th November 2008, 09:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Good luck for the restoration..Fiat is my fav
Old 26th November 2008, 09:47   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Ravi - I have procured more than 4 superselect wheel rims (4 go on MRF6466). Come and have a look one of these days. Best of luck for the restoration and do not compromise on the sheet metal work.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 26th November 2008, 10:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

All the best for the work. Please feel free if you need any help.

I am very happy for your car and for you too.
Old 26th November 2008, 10:25   #13
BHPian

Heres wishing you all the best for a super resto Ravi. Looking forward to the pics of the process.
Old 26th November 2008, 11:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
@ JayD and Cyrus: the colour is still a long while away , though I'm debating between various shades of blue.
excellant we can call our cars the blue brigade, with gogi going for some blue shade as well
Old 26th November 2008, 11:44   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

All the best Ravi, Im really glad to see more and more cars in the club being brought up to good standards. I wonder when I'll get cracking on one of mine though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
excellant we can call our cars the blue brigade, with gogi going for some blue shade as well
Excellent, as my President is Natina blue, and my 61 Deluxe is Prussian blue as well.

Most Viewed