Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2009, 12:11   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Something like this? This looks similar to Gogi's car now.

Attachment 85198
@ salil - Thanks again, man, this looks good. No, Gogi's car has a different blue, and has a pure white roof.
@ jalsa777 - Yup, this is how it's to be !
Old 5th January 2009, 21:34   #122
Senior - BHPian

Update.

Guys, the "finishing" work , ie meticulous hand beating of the body is in full swing. The bonnet is completed to a beautiful shape, the sides are in progress.
It's very exciting to see this project come up like this, these are memories I'll cherish, and it is these memories that endear the car to us more than ever ! Being an Architect / Interior Designer myself, I find this work not too diferent from what we do, building up houses / furniture meticulously, bit by bit.
Went to chor bazaar again today with the window guy. managed to get the coveted winders for the small front windows. Also managed to get a clean pair of "small" front windows, for the super select. Very nice, the quarter glass conversion will happen now. This is quite a process, I'm told. A "box pillar" has to be fabricated into the body of the door. The pillars of the quarter glasses fit into this. This also supports the winder mechanisms, and other things.
Garnish patties and channels are also quite different for the quarter glass model as against the select. These have been ordered. Will document the Quarter glass conversion process shortly.
Also got a nice pair of interior lights, which will fit on the inner surface of the 'C' pillar.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-phone-picture-148.jpg  

My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-phone-picture-150.jpg  

Old 10th January 2009, 02:21   #123
Senior - BHPian

Touched by an Angel...

Guys, an amazing thing happened today. A surprise phone call from Hyderabad a few days ago, and a surprise parcel arrived at Opera house, which I was asked to collect.
Fellow Tbhpian and friend Suren (suren181) sent me a BRAND NEW GRILLE for my dear MRX 6839. After running around for parts in chor bazaar and assorted places, this is truly a Godsend. I would've never imagined something like this would happen.
Thanks a Huge bunch Suren, you truly are a "Farishta" . My car would have never been the same without this !
After all this, all that I can say is that I feel BLESSED. First, for being able to get my hands on a car like 6839 (thanks Aditya !). Second for being on tBHP. And Third for getting pals like this, who do things for you out of the blue !! It's a wonderful world, guys !

Last edited by SuperSelect : 10th January 2009 at 02:26.
SuperSelect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2009, 09:27   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey ravi! Congrats man!
Boy, are you lucky! I've seen that grille, its fab! Maybe suren or someone would help me out in a similar way by sourcing me a brand new grille for my pennant as well.....someday...:sigh:
Old 17th January 2009, 23:21   #125
Senior - BHPian

More tinwork.

Update for this week guys:
While the hammering continues at one end, we decided to go in for some more tin work. The area around the roof trims and windscreen pillars, plus the C pillars themselves, were not in the best of condition. After much deliberation, it was decided to not compromise on any tin work, and do this from scratch.
The C pillar inserts have actually been fabricated by hand, by Hakim the lone tinsmith, and a hugely talented and dedicated guy.
This has set back the work by a few weeks more. Was hoping to enjoy the car in this winter, but looks like.. Anyways, this is for the best, and my baby's going to come out looking good, after all this. But I'm really really missing those sunday morning drives !
Attached Thumbnails
My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-phone-picture-155.jpg  

My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-phone-picture-156.jpg  

My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-phone-picture-163.jpg  

Old 20th January 2009, 13:20   #126
BHPian

My My, that is a lot of tinwork. We just completed the tinwork on my car , I can imagine the effort that is going into this one.

Vijay
Old 21st January 2009, 21:40   #127
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Vijay !! Ye hai Mumbai meri jaan - In this weather, even you and I would rust after a while I feel. . So the body work.
By the way saar, do give some update on your Padmini, I've been watching your thread.
Old 21st January 2009, 23:03   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh SuperSelect things are on the move then! Was the tin work done after the primer coating? Appears so. But its good and will make it more durable.
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:23   #129
BHPian

SuperSelect,

I know I owe you guys an update on my car . Will do so today.

Vijay
Old 24th January 2009, 19:03   #130
BHPian

Which primer and paint are you going to use? If you want to get rid of the Fiat corrosion misery, use standox primer and as for paint, dupont 2k is good enough. If the car is well protected from rain and puddles, the paint job would easily last for 15-20 years. Please keep in mind that the finish and the quality of the primer is solely responsible for the finish of the paintjob. As a rule of thumb, let the primer dry before sanding it. During the paint process of my car, the primer was given a drying time of 20 days before sanding it off !!

Best Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 24th January 2009, 23:41   #131
Senior - BHPian

Excellent work going on Ravi. Im positive, with your dedicated eye for detail, your restoration will be something to look forward to.

My little contribution towards colours that would look good on your car. Yours to choose from.

This Neckar just needs a white top matching with the colour on the rims.

Name:  1100 s Prifile 1.jpg
Views: 2147
Size:  37.7 KB

Or these

My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-5903xr0.th.jpg

My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-196062-1100-deluxe.jpg

This red would do well with a white top too, same colour as on the rims

My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-fiat1100_1024.jpg

Or any of these

My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-fiat_1100103h.jpg

My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-b30811.jpg

My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-00267235220.jpg

The Black will look great provided it has these thick white walls

My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-532460_fiat1100.jpg
Old 26th January 2009, 00:50   #132
Senior - BHPian

Labour of Love.

Thanks a huuuge bunch guys, all your comments are truly inspiring..
@anjan: yes, he did a bit of priming, but that'll be redone again, in view of the increased tinwork.
@adheesh: Thanks Adheesh, I'm definitely using standox primer. About the paint, still to be decided.
@gogi: hey man each picture is drool maal. You've gotten me more confused than ever, on the colour scheme. One thing's sure, she'll HAVE to have a white top. (inspired by peshial no doubt )

Meanwhile, the tinwork continues slowly and steadily, with Hakim bhai fabricating panel after panel, painstakingly by hand, under the eagle eyes of old man Soli Mistry. People like hakim, have "patraa" in their blood, I think. He's made a piece for the bottom part of the rear windscreen. Now he's not too happy with the curvature, so he's going to make it all over again !! Thrilled as I was, and on a clicking spree, here's how the converstion went:
Hakim: Saab aap itna sara photu kyon nikaal rahele ho ?
Me: Hakim bhai, aap itni mohabbat se kaam kar rahe ho, aisa kaam dekhneko nahi miltaa, majaa aata hai.
H: Sethji, hamko kaam karne ko majaa aata hai.. Lekin ab aisi gaadiyaan kahaan milti hai ? Chaalis -paintaalis sal se yehi kaam kar raela hoon, sab kisam ki gaadi banaai hai.
Me: Achha ?
H: Shevarlet, Daaj, Hadsan.. sab banaela hai. Abhi ek Shevarlet banaa raela hoon, dekiye..
And he proceeded to show me some awesome pictures of a white 1954 Chevy convertible he's almost rebuilt by hand, including fabricating side trims using stainless steel...
Guys like Hakim are one of a kind, a dying breed of craftsmen we'll never get to see after a few years. Such guys deserve more than what they get, surely. And once again I'm truly lucky to get these chaps working on my car !
Attached Thumbnails
My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-phone-picture-166.jpg  

My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-phone-picture-164.jpg  

My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-phone-picture-165.jpg  

Last edited by SuperSelect : 26th January 2009 at 00:53.
SuperSelect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2009, 23:22   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
And he proceeded to show me some awesome pictures of a white 1954 Chevy convertible he's almost rebuilt by hand, including fabricating side trims using stainless steel...
Hey ravi, you've (or rather Hakim bhai) could've possibly lit a ray of hope for me! Could you ask him if he can do the same for Herald trims?? If I send in samples that you could show him??

If so, my resto work would become MUCH easier (and less costly!)
Old 31st January 2009, 00:00   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Hey ravi, you've (or rather Hakim bhai) could've possibly lit a ray of hope for me! Could you ask him if he can do the same for Herald trims?? If I send in samples that you could show him??

If so, my resto work would become MUCH easier (and less costly!)
Sure Shyam, I'll check on this. Could you mail me a pic of the trims in question, so I can get a clearer idea ? About the cost, though.. I have my doubts - I guess it will be similar in any city, right ?
Old 31st January 2009, 09:11   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Sure Shyam, I'll check on this. Could you mail me a pic of the trims in question, so I can get a clearer idea ? About the cost, though.. I have my doubts - I guess it will be similar in any city, right ?
Sure thing. I don't know if I've got your email address though- could you pm it to me?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks