Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 12:28   #91
BANNED

Manish, Yesterday I met Pavan Kadam near my house. He gave me the air box.

Here is the pic:
Attached Thumbnails
MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc02453.jpg  

Old 8th June 2010, 17:08   #92
BANNED

08-06-2010 Update

The tinker today purchased the following parts:

PAVAN KADAM doing quality checks!
Floor board
MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc02456.jpg

Running board
Name:  DSC02459.JPG
Views: 1658
Size:  150.2 KB

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc02461.jpg
Old 8th June 2010, 17:09   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatMyLife View Post
Manish, Yesterday I met Pavan Kadam near my house. He gave me the air box.

Here is the pic:
So nice of you to post pictures of the Air Box, I am lucky to have friends, helping me every now and then. Does it has two holes on the other side of it for the windshield defrosting pipes / system. I will only be able to meet you up on saturday evening.
Old 8th June 2010, 17:39   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The tinker today purchased the following parts:

PAVAN KADAM doing quality checks!
Floor board
Attachment 363580

Running board
Attachment 363581

Attachment 363582
Wow, new panels. But there is some thing missing. the foot rest panels on the rear of the front seat. I will try to visit my tinker tomorrow.

Off track all my reference data / work for Fiat is lost due to the crashed hard disk . I had a picture of a good flooring of 1100. I will search again in google for that.
Old 8th June 2010, 19:28   #95
BANNED

Are you referring to these pics?
Attached Thumbnails
MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-floor.jpg  

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-floor1.jpg  

FiatMyLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2010, 20:16   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you referring to these pics?
Wow these were the ones I was referring too, if you have more snaps on the boot and other panels on the inside it would be nice. i will develop these pictures and give it to the tinker.
Old 8th June 2010, 20:27   #97
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Wow these were the ones I was referring too, if you have more snaps on the boot and other panels on the inside it would be nice. i will develop these pictures and give it to the tinker.
The way Nizaam Bhai is going, i dont think you need to give him any pics

You must be thankful to Arun for helping you with such a nice tinker.

I had been to the car today along with Arun, Things he's already organised

1) Rear Panel
2) Stepney well and the adjoining panel
3) Chassis column, both the sides
4) New floor panels
5) Running boards.

With this kind of tinker, you already get your half job done.

You Fiat guys must consider youselves lucky, since all the floor panel templates are readily available.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 8th June 2010 at 20:29.
Old 8th June 2010, 21:47   #98
BANNED

PAVAN: Manish's Select restoration is very very simple compared to the type of restorations you do!

Yes, we Fiatians are lucky that we still many of body and mechanical parts. But because of the hype created by FCB the prices for Mechanical parts are sky rocketing these days. Some shops are creating artificial scarcity. As soon as they see me or Karthik, they say no to whatever parts we ask. Then they say "Delhi se mangna padega so".!
FiatMyLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2010, 21:59   #99
Senior - BHPian

I am a little surprised to see the readymade floor boards and running boards of a Fiat. The last time i inquired about them,was told that the floor boards will need to be fabricated from sheet metal. But i think i was being fooled by the welder.
BTW Which part here is being referred to as the chassis column. I am not clear about it so asked.
Old 11th June 2010, 14:09   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
I am a little surprised to see the readymade floor boards and running boards of a Fiat. The last time i inquired about them,was told that the floor boards will need to be fabricated from sheet metal. But i think i was being fooled by the welder.
BTW Which part here is being referred to as the chassis column. I am not clear about it so asked.
The one pictured in the Red oxide paint are the Chassis column. The holes are there to access the bolts of the chassis. They are place in the following space

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-floor1.jpg

No updates as no work has started on my car. The tinker will start work from today. For Engine I need to sit with the mechanic. Hope to have some updates on Sunday.
Old 12th June 2010, 17:16   #101
Senior - BHPian

Great seing this progressing the way it is. So did you consider my suggestion of not opening the engine ?
Old 12th June 2010, 22:48   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Great seing this progressing the way it is. So did you consider my suggestion of not opening the engine ?
I will have more updates when I visit the mechanic and tinker tomorrow. As of now we have not opened the engine. I will check on the engine tomorrow, opening will be last resort.
Old 14th June 2010, 16:02   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will have more updates when I visit the mechanic and tinker tomorrow. As of now we have not opened the engine. I will check on the engine tomorrow, opening will be last resort.
Manish from past experience I can tell you that before you get anything done please make sure that the engine and other mechanicals are in ship shape condition, Better to overhaul now if required than later. It can be disheartening to see your beautifully painted and chromed car sitting at the garage because of failed mechanicals, with mechanics carelessly dissecting your car and messing up the paint and upholstery.
Old 14th June 2010, 16:35   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Manish from past experience I can tell you that before you get anything done please make sure that the engine and other mechanicals are in ship shape condition, Better to overhaul now if required than later. It can be disheartening to see your beautifully painted and chromed car sitting at the garage because of failed mechanicals, with mechanics carelessly dissecting your car and messing up the paint and upholstery.
I was of the same view, for the following reasons -

1. I am not the first owner and there is no history of the service info.

2. The car was lying unused for years. (the amount of rust on car in dry central India says it all)

3. Before transporting we had trouble loading the car on the ramp of a trailer, which again might relate to engine issues.

But, many experts on the forum are against opening the gearbox let alone the engine. I hope a compression check will reveal the true condition of Engine.

Mechanic was busy and thus the check has been shifted to next weekend. Secondly the tinker has also not strated his work. Expected to start by tomorrow.

I have bought an angle grinding machine with the sanding attachment to assist tinker and also the painter .
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2010, 18:27   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was of the same view, for the following reasons -

1. I am not the first owner and there is no history of the service info.
This is the biggest factor. Today it is not very expensive to overhaul a Fiat engine as parts are available. But tomorrow it will be. Parts are disappearing fast.

Take my advice and just overhaul it. I made the same mistake with my Mercedes and then my Rover, which were both cars that were lying around for years and then there was always a heart ache when the cars would have to visit the garage for engine work. There were dents on the fenders while removing the engine., grease on the upholstery and what have you?

As for my Fiat when i bought the car, Karl had tested the car for a long long time and she was already pretty much mechanically sorted out when I took over the project. Even today mechanically she is a breeze. just did Bombay- pune on the weekend in the rains in the car

Last edited by the mole : 14th June 2010 at 18:29.

Most Viewed