Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2010, 22:29   #121
BANNED

superb restoration

i am hooked to this thread now !

BTW you can get spares from chennai "Border Thotam" and Pudupet where you get old and 2nd hand spares for automobiles

All the best guys
Old 19th June 2010, 22:50   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Yes give me that and the aluminum tail lights and the other stuff nexxt wekend.
I was not aware that you needed them. Anyways, will try finding a set for your car from gujiri.
Old 19th June 2010, 23:44   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
I was not aware that you needed them. Anyways, will try finding a set for your car from gujiri.
Arun has them (the delight ones), he said he will give it to me . I will further exchange them for the select ones.
Old 20th June 2010, 07:35   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Arun has them (the delight ones), he said he will give it to me . I will further exchange them for the select ones.
Actually they are from a President and I actually bought them! As I said I have already put them on my Gray Padmini. We will try our best to find a set of aluminum lights for you Select.
Old 20th June 2010, 10:59   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually they are from a President and I actually bought them! As I said I have already put them on my Gray Padmini. We will try our best to find a set of aluminum lights for you Select.
The Select lights are different from those on the later models, although they both would fit on all fin-tail fiats.
Old 20th June 2010, 11:28   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
The Select lights are different from those on the later models, although they both would fit on all fin-tail fiats.
Yes, I am aware of that. Manish's idea is to exchange the Delight lights with Hillram's Super Select's lights. Ram's Super Select is having Select's lights.
Old 20th June 2010, 11:34   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I am aware of that. Manish's idea is to exchange the Delight lights with Hillram's Super Select's lights. Ram's Super Select is having Select's lights.
Super select having select lights and Manish's idea to exchange with Delight lamps I didn't get that. Why would some one exchange Select lamps to a Delight that too for a Super Select. Errrr!! I'm confused!!
Old 20th June 2010, 11:38   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Super select having select lights and Manish's idea to exchange with Delight lamps I didn't get that. Why would some one exchange Select lamps to a Delight that too for a Super Select. Errrr!! I'm confused!!
Super Select and Delights/President have same design lights of Aluminium.

Tail Lights in Select don't have the reflector. So this particular design lights are in Ram's car. Ram's car needs Delight type lights.

So manish will give Ram, Delight's lights and take the Select type lights which is on Ram's Super Select.

Hope you got it!
Old 20th June 2010, 11:40   #129
Senior - BHPian

Got it boss! got it super correct. Ha Ha. thanks for the valuable clarification.
Old 21st June 2010, 10:20   #130
BHPian

Hi Manish,
Good to see the rapid progress. I would like to share a secret of a building a rust free Fiat car (yes it is indeed possible) The idea is to paint the body exactly the way it was painted in the factory. That is, just the body and nothing else on it. Absolutely everything has to be removed and separated. Bumpers and number-plates are elementary, but this extends to suspension, chassis, steering box, brake cylinder, doors etc. Each and every part must first be sand papered inside out and then liberally coated with primer and then again sand papered before painting. Doing this ensures that the primer sticks to the metal correctly and the paint sticks to the primer correctly. Give ATLEAST 10 days for the primer to dry, more if you have rainfall now.
Imagine the situation like a metal water tank being built. If even a nano meter square area is not covered with the epoxy compound, the leak will begin from there. Rest everything would be a waste. The same principle should be applied to the cars body, primer and rust theory. The primer should actually drip out from crevices like the door drain holes and side patti holes.
Even the difficult to reach areas like the behind of the dashboard need the same treatment. Once the chassis and suspension is separated from the body, you would need to find a way to support the body as well as to upturn it for painting. Professional restorers have special equipment for it.
The chassis should be sand papered, primered, sand papered and painted separately outside the car so should be the suspension components, and engine block.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Last edited by adheesh : 21st June 2010 at 10:27.
Old 21st June 2010, 22:57   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Hi Manish,

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
This is Indeed helpful, I am of the same opinion as your's for the painting And the way things are going. I think I will have my way. We will support the car on stands (sans every removable part). I will use wurth anti rust and then go with the paint (on the insides). 10 days is too ideal of a time but I will sure keep in mind, longer the better .

Chassis will be all new, as the old one is corroded. Almost everone has advised me not to go for new chassis (as it is made out of thinner gauge of metal) and go for a good one from scrap market, what say.

I am for a new chassis from Mumbai.
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:39   #132
BHPian

Quote:
This is Indeed helpful, I am of the same opinion as your's for the painting And the way things are going. I think I will have my way. We will support the car on stands (sans every removable part). I will use wurth anti rust and then go with the paint (on the insides). 10 days is too ideal of a time but I will sure keep in mind, longer the better .

Chassis will be all new, as the old one is corroded. Almost everone has advised me not to go for new chassis (as it is made out of thinner gauge of metal) and go for a good one from scrap market, what say.

I am for a new chassis from Mumbai.
Be careful with the chassis. Many a times there is a slight deformation in the original chassis as well as the body which is not apparent to the human eye. The new chassis would be near the factory specification and may either not fit correctly on the body else the car dynamics would change undesirably with the new chassis. Even I am of the opinion that a used chassis from the scrapyard would be a better deal. Ideally, it should be from a car broken in front of your eyes. Also S1's and 137D's came with a different front crossmember design. Your car would require a standard Padmini chassis.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:42   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

There will also be a difference in the mounting of the front bumper if you fit a Padmini chassis. Not a big issue, using your original one your chaps can alter the mountings to take the original bumper. I have done this just now on my '55.
Old 23rd June 2010, 21:54   #134
Senior - BHPian

Update as on today:

Floor work will be completed in two days. Right side body tinkering done.
Attached Thumbnails
MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc02623.jpg  

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc02625.jpg  

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc02626.jpg  

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc02627.jpg  

Attached Images

funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2010, 22:07   #135
Senior - BHPian

Nice.
Hey, if possible please cover that steering wheel with plastic. - I yet repent each time I look at my steering wheel damaged (slightly) due to sheer carelessness.
Of course, if you intend changing it at a later date, you can throw it at me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks