Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2010, 11:18   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
The seller of your car is a very adpet person in dodging such details and misleading people.Ultimatley you fell into his trap and paid an overprice for this car.
Had you refered to me or any FCCHians we would have alerted you,instead of chosing to have the deal done by inexperianced people.
I have been tracking this car since 2008 and it has been lying on the road and i refused to buy the car even for 25K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
I knew this car was offered 35k but the seller was not agree. I was not aware that he was even ready to give it to you for 25k at a point in time.
Neither was I aware of this! Ram, if you will pardon my curiosity, I'm a little confused here- you may recall that we used to pm each other when you were in the process of negotiating on this car when you attempted to buy it from the same man back then. IIRC, you had informed me in one of your pms that he'd first quoted 35k to you (which he did to me too when I first tried for it for karl, just before you went), telling you that he was actually quoting 40k for 'others'. This was before he'd got the fitness done for the car. And then, you'd told me in a subsequent pm that he finally 'sort of agreed for 30k' and that you'd go to him one more time for one last shot. But as we know, it didnt work out so you decided to give up on it.
Therefore it surprised me to know that the same guy offered you the same car for as less as 25k!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
May be, you should elaborate on how different it is in Andhra Pradesh. Would be very glad to know about it.
again. - And sorry if I'm digressing in this thread- Even I'm a little confused now on the green tax procedure for AP- I had paid the GT for 2 of my cars in 2008 and '09, which I was told is an annual tax. But I was told by the seller of this car that it's a tax with a validity of 5 years, to be renewed at the time of fitness only!
Now I'm not sure which of the 2 is correct? Because if its annually, I would need pay the GT for my cars this year too.

Last edited by Stanher : 23rd May 2010 at 11:23.
Old 23rd May 2010, 11:40   #47
Senior - BHPian

Delighted Sunday

Alright what a pleasant sunday! a wonderful weekend out of that IRRATIC rush to office, its been a week I've touched Appu and Padmini though they are in the same compund. Here are some pics of Appu as promised earlier please do comment.
Attached Thumbnails
Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-p230510_10.53_01.jpg  

Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-p230510_10.54.jpg  

Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-p230510_10.54_01.jpg  

Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-p230510_10.54_02.jpg  

Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-p230510_10.55.jpg  

Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-p230510_10.55_01.jpg  

Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-p230510_10.56.jpg  

Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-p230510_10.56_01.jpg  

Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-p230510_10.56_02.jpg  

Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-p230510_10.56_03.jpg  

Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-p230510_10.59.jpg  

Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-p230510_10.59_01.jpg  

Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-p230510_11.00.jpg  

Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-p230510_11.00_01.jpg  

Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-p230510_10.53.jpg  

Old 23rd May 2010, 11:48   #48
Senior - BHPian

Thats a FIATful house! Two Fiats in a house.

Give Appu a complete restoration, not just a paint job, as its already 4 decades old. Please try to keep the stock color.

Do you have the side round indicators, original meter cover etc?
Old 23rd May 2010, 12:29   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Thats a FIATful house! Two Fiats in a house.

Give Appu a complete restoration, not just a paint job, as its already 4 decades old. Please try to keep the stock color.

Do you have the side round indicators, original meter cover etc?
Yes your are right! there is not room to park even a bycycle Amma is mad one me! I will give Appu a through restoration that is my plan and in regards to colour I am thinking of Powder blue but time only will answer. regarding the side round indicators....The search is on for them. Any good news from you dear?
Old 23rd May 2010, 12:32   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
regarding the side round indicators....The search is on for them. Any good news from you dear?
I bought a pair of them NOS 6 months back for 400rs. Many Mumbai guys told I paid too much as its available in Mumbai for 100rs.

Now NOS lights are available but asking price is 1000rs!!

Local plastic lookalike ones are available in some shops. But that too is difficult. Costs 50rs. Try for this. Or else I will get you a pair.

First try in Mumbai.

P.S: You have three FIATs at home! great!

Last edited by arun1100 : 23rd May 2010 at 12:35.
Old 23rd May 2010, 14:05   #51
Senior - BHPian

Shyam..it finally came down to 25K as this delight has broken windshield glass,broken left side door glass.This seller had even covered the car for few months as rain would enter into the car from the broken glasses.
I didnt agree for 25k too as fitness wasnt done and my mechanic listed nearly dozen problems with the car.Hence i gave up totally on it.Im glad i didnt pick it up.But sad that our FCCH man has been taken for a Royal Ride.This could have been avoided.
The original price at which the seller picked up this Fiat is 18K.so just imagine how he has taken you for a ride.
Infact after this incident,I have refrained from buying any cars from him.He recetly offered me a Renault 9 again with his greed,he quoted an astronomical price.I was tempted but refrained.
Shyam you have dealt with this seller many times,how could you not see through him and get Bala to pay 40k for this car.Its very sad to even think of this as Bala had borrowed money from his mother and poor guy was dreaming of a beautiful car.
I have now alerted DHAA about this seller and i will not entertain him at FCCH anymore.
Old 23rd May 2010, 16:13   #52
Senior - BHPian

Bala: Looks like you have paid a very very hefty price.

Just take my case I paid 18k for a stock 1990 Padmini, driven just 40000kms by a 80yr old gentleman. Just i need to spend 30k on complete restoration and the car will almost be like new. Of course I will Delight it. Delight parts costs me around 3k totally. So a super Padmini for 50k!

As you have already bought the car, its time to celebrate. Try to solve all the problems now. FCCHians will surely help you. FCBians too!

I wish you first start collecting enough of mechanical and cosmetic parts for two Fiats you have. Once you have the parts, restoration is a easy job.
Old 23rd May 2010, 16:21   #53
Senior - BHPian

The car is already bought. I think we should stop dicsussing the price and discuss more about the car. As long as Bala likes the car, loves the car, price shouldnt matter. I am sure once Bala gets more attached to the car, he will just forget the price as it would become PRICELESS!

Bala: Get the FC done quickly, whatever is the process and procedure out there in Hyd. Once done, think and plan up for a restoration. May the Fiat delight you life long!
Old 23rd May 2010, 16:30   #54
BANNED

Dear Bala:
You have in possession a very RARE Delight. Small issues are bound to be there in any old car.

Consult all the FIAT Gurus in Mumbai before restoration. Make few trips to Mumbai for procuring some original mechanical parts.

With the help of FCCHians, get the car restored.

At the end, we want to see a neatly restored Appu.
Old 23rd May 2010, 16:34   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujith1100 View Post
Dear Bala:
You have in possession a very RARE Delight. Small issues are bound to be there in any old car.

You must be kidding Sujith! Small issues are bound to be there in new cars, not the old ones. This is a few decades old Fiat, there could be many issues. It shouldnt surprise anyone. We all know it and is a part of our life, isnt it?

Just have fun reolving the niggles, correcting the problems and get her back her best!
Old 23rd May 2010, 18:21   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
I will comment only when I am sure as to which filter came with the Delights.

Manish: Are you 100% sure?
Hi Chanu,
You have got a beautiful delight there. In the correct hands, she (or since its Appu, he) has a lot of potential to be a absolute stunner. However here are my two cents on the basis of the photogrphs posted by you. Numbering is as per the photographs.

Photograph 1. a) The dry type airfilter with a hot air intake is 101% original to your car.
b) The "mundi" type radiators neck seems to be fabricated at a later stage however the top tank is original. Simply replace the radiator cap with Tecil/RD make for standard Padmini car. (The pressure rating is 7kgm for Padminis as compared to 9kgm for S1's.)
c)The original starter should be the one from the Select/Superselect league with the solonoid integrated within the starter inself. Finding it is difficult but not impossible. The flywheel for such starters is also different (the number of teeth are different). This has to be taken into consideration. Although going in this fine detail is not always required, as I mention, this car has the potential to become a stunner in all senses, then why not ??

Photograph 3. a) The manifold heating system has been disconnected. Please refer another car and it can be reconnected. The original metal pipe fitment would have to be taken off a Padmini.
b) The accelerator pump linkage is also missing. It can be replaced with one from an old pumping type carb.

Photograph 6 : I think the gear leaver is original to only selects and super selects. I am not very sure on this.

Photograph 9: The wheel bearing should have a cup (katori in Indian style car language). Originally these cars came with these cups with FIAT embossed on them. Checkout the delight in Shayam's photo garage.

Photograph 10: The handle is a very common aftermarket fitment. Since the spring action of the original locking mechanism is lost after some time, the handle is of great help to open dickey. You may retain it as it looks period. Else what is the numberplate light for

Photograph 11 : The profile of two missing knobs is common with President and early Padmini choke cable knob. If you find them in excess, send some to Bombay too.

Photograph 14: The instrument cluster outer cover is from early Padmini (from the smooth finish) Delights did not have piano type switches. The cluster would be common across Select, Superselect, Delight and President.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 23rd May 2010, 18:26   #57
BHPian

Bala, the car looks awesome, good buy . Let us know how the car feels and drives based on your initial impression. It would help if you could post more detailed pictures of the floor and the running boards to give us an overall idea on the body work that the car might need. In addition to this, please get your fitness / Green Tax issue resolved (I believe Ram can assist you on this) and get the car transferred in your name before starting any work on the car

A couple of observations that I see from the pictures

1. Missing Manifold Heating Pot pipes (Is your thermocouple Temp gauge working, I dont see the sender unit on the engine)
2. Washer bulb damaged
3. Indicator stalk damaged / missing ???

All the Fiat lovers here will help you with the finer details

I hope that you are planning to get your delite to the factory spec

Last edited by Cyberdoctorind : 23rd May 2010 at 18:46.
Old 23rd May 2010, 19:14   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Photograph 14: The instrument cluster outer cover is from early Padmini (from the smooth finish) Delights did not have piano type switches. The cluster would be common across Select, Superselect, Delight and President.
A small correction - the meter black plastic cover is indeed original, and these early models did indeed come with plastic piano type switches. I have a box of 4 NOS switches, SIPEA made in Italy, for my 65 Delight.

The toggle switches probably saw reintroduction around 68.
Old 23rd May 2010, 22:12   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A small correction - the meter black plastic cover is indeed original, and these early models did indeed come with plastic piano type switches. I have a box of 4 NOS switches, SIPEA made in Italy, for my 65 Delight.

The toggle switches probably saw reintroduction around 68.
Thanks Karl. Now that you mentioned it, something is ringing a bell. I had heard of it before on the forum itself, perhaps in one of your posts itself.

Regards,
Adheesh
Old 24th May 2010, 00:40   #60
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot folks, I am so glad to see you all commenting. I could get few things what you have adviced and few went over my head as I am not a techy guy in FIAT however I will follow your instructions.

I am now relieved from the tensions/sudden surprises from your comments about the car. I will start collecting parts and once done then starts the resto.

Yes Sujit once the car is restored properly price wouldn't matter. I forgot the expenses (pre and post) spent on few of the vehicles I have got (Vespa, Jawa).

Appu has got its fitness till 2014 now I am planning to transfer the car on to my name followed by a general service, a new battery etc. As told the restoration will take few months to start Mean while I will also understand the car and it will help me in my resto. I am confident as I have FCCH and all you folks with me.

Sure Shiva! I will post the pictures of floor and others as you have asked.

Now its question time.

Does delight also have a meter (not sure what is it for) on the right side as I saw today on my uncle's car which is 80's model has it.

Do we still get the glass beadings of a Delight? I saw water seeping inside from the front wind sheild and more over I see the beadings are worn out and not the one which comes to Delight.

I know we have a seperate thread for parts to be stocked for Fiat and Premier however I humbly request if gurus can suggest me the parts (cosmetic & mechanical) for this car for future then it will be easy and a great help to me.

Thanks

Bala

Last edited by chanu : 24th May 2010 at 00:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks