Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2010, 15:07   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Shyam we need to go to your guy for an estimate of body work, painting cost etc.
Are you intending to do it up right away?? I thought you wanted to finish your jeep first? Anyways, I would suggest you concentrate on that for now, easier to handle 1 project at a time, from my personal experience!

AP(P)U is presently ok as she currently is, in fact you can driver her down this way even to the 15th aug. Deccan Heritage rally (do attend btw!)

Did you settle that issue you had with the Green tax receipt btw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Bala bhai why not keep the car in current shade. Getting it painted in this shade will save you a lot of money
If you want an idea as to how a silver car (actually 1100D) looks i can mail you the pics of one car i know.
LOL! Sagar, he was talking about painting only the RIMS in silver (known as moonstone), not the whole car!
Old 21st May 2010, 15:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need to check with my bike mechaninc as I remember he got the Harley Davidson carved on a metal plate/sheet so it should not be difficult for that guy to carve fiat logo at the place where its filled with metal, let me check with him.
Bala,

please let us know whats the out come, and how they do it. I am interested getting wheel caps done.
Old 21st May 2010, 23:50   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Bala bhai why not keep the car in current shade. Getting it painted in this shade will save you a lot of money and you can use that to store cosmetic and mechanical bits for the car as restoration will not last for a life time but our ambition towards fiat will. If you want an idea as to how a silver car (actually 1100D) looks i can mail you the pics of one car i know.
Thanks Sagar for the kind offer. Anybody can mail the pictues to me at balaji.iyengar4@gmail.com. I am thinking of giving Appu a through restoration though it will take sometime. I want to take up this project without any deviation or disturbance and I wish to do it TOP NOTCH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Are you intending to do it up right away?? I thought you wanted to finish your jeep first? Anyways, I would suggest you concentrate on that for now, easier to handle 1 project at a time, from my personal experience!

AP(P)U is presently ok as she currently is, in fact you can driver her down this way even to the 15th aug. Deccan Heritage rally (do attend btw!)

Did you settle that issue you had with the Green tax receipt btw?

LOL! Sagar, he was talking about painting only the RIMS in silver (known as moonstone), not the whole car!
You are right Shyam, I would not sail on two boats. Jeep work as already started and going on a snail pace as of now I need to sought it out and complete that first. Appu's project will be a detailed one and for which I need all your FIATians guidance.
About the green tax issue the seller says he has submitted in the RTA and then only the fitness for the car was done, I am not sure about it, is that the process?

Ya I did not have time to even peep into Appu since it has come home as tied up with office work. I will check her tomorrow as its an off for me and click few more detailed pics.

I have booked leave for 15th august (every time I miss it ) this time I will be there with Appu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Bala,please let us know whats the out come, and how they do it. I am interested getting wheel caps done.
Manish I will meet or call my mechanic and find out about it and if lucky I can have some good news for all.

As of now Appu will remain as it is as, I have few questions but untill I post the detailed pictues of interior, engine, exterior etc you would not be in a better position to guide me. Till then Keep watching this corner.
Old 22nd May 2010, 12:10   #34
Senior - BHPian

Air Filter

I was going through FCL and came across this picture posted by a TBHPian and wonder the air filter looks different and wanted to clarify to which model it belongs. This car had a two spoke steering wheel. You can see the left side twist start ignition. Gurus please clarify.
Attached Thumbnails
Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-airfilter.jpg  

Old 22nd May 2010, 14:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

This is called Oil Bath air filter. In Padmini this type filter came till '87 or so. After that came the dry air filter.
Old 22nd May 2010, 19:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
About the green tax issue the seller says he has submitted in the RTA and then only the fitness for the car was done, I am not sure about it, is that the process?
Bala..Green tax is a cess you pay to the govt for keeping fitness validity of your car.GReen tax comes with a seperate receipt and it should be presented to traffic police when checked.
The seller of your car is a very adpet person in dodging such details and misleading people.Ultimatley you fell into his trap and paid an overprice for this car.Im not sure if the seller has told all the inside problems that this car has,as i have thoroughly got it inspected by my mechanic when i wanted to buy it myself.
Had you refered to me or any FCCHians we would have alerted you,instead of chosing to have the deal done by inexperianced people.
I have been tracking this car since 2008 and it has been lying on the road and i refused to buy the car even for 25K.
Even now,inisit on Green tax receipt or else you will have to pay once again when you get it transfered on your name.It engenders many problems now.
Sometimes surprises will bring more hidden surprises out !!!
Old 22nd May 2010, 20:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Regarding Green Tax.. This is how its in Karnataka RTO, not sure if its same all over India.

Green Tax is paid once in 5 years whenever FC is done.

So the total cost is:
Green Tax Rs. 500 + FC Fees Rs.250 = Total Rs.750/-

FC fees depends on how old the car is I think.

How much is Green Tax in Hyd?
Old 22nd May 2010, 21:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Bala..Green tax is a cess you pay to the govt for keeping fitness validity of your car.GReen tax comes with a seperate receipt and it should be presented to traffic police when checked.

Even now,inisit on Green tax receipt or else you will have to pay once again when you get it transfered on your name.It engenders many problems now.
It may not be required to produce the green tax certificate to traffic police. Showing that the car has valid FC (Fitness certificate) is enough. This is because FC is issued only when the green tax is paid.

As far as I know, if the car's FC (Fitness certificate) is expired, its not big deal at all to get it renewed. As Arun said, it would be less than 1000 bucks (not sure what it is like in Hyd). Its just a couple of days work. RC book, emission certificate and valid insurance is needed. Car should be in a decent shape with not too many dents and stuff. Number plates should comply to rules. All electricals like brake light and indicators should be in order. If green tax is the only issue with the car, chill out, you are not in a big mess.

Last edited by funkykar : 22nd May 2010 at 21:11.
Old 22nd May 2010, 23:22   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
This is called Oil Bath air filter. In Padmini this type filter came till '87 or so. After that came the dry air filter.
In that case should my car (1965) also pocess one of this kind of air filter.

Quote:
The seller of your car is a very adpet person in dodging such details and misleading people.Ultimatley you fell into his trap and paid an overprice for this car.Im not sure if the seller has told all the inside problems that this car has,as i have thoroughly got it inspected by my mechanic when i wanted to buy it myself.
Had you refered to me or any FCCHians we would have alerted you,instead of chosing to have the deal done by inexperianced people.
I have been tracking this car since 2008 and it has been lying on the road and i refused to buy the car even for 25K.
As like in any other deal which I've done I went with a gut feeling and yes I agree most of the times I might have over paid but at the end what makes/made me happy is I got what I want.I still believe this car was dealt (atleast from my side) as a gentlemen's deal.

I am not aware about the sellers intention though he sounds as a friend/well wisher. I have not referred with any FCCHians as this deal happened very fast and honestly I didn't want to loose the car so I carried on.

I knew this car was offered 35k but the seller was not agree. I was not aware that he was even ready to give it to you for 25k at a point in time.

Last edited by chanu : 22nd May 2010 at 23:29.
Old 23rd May 2010, 02:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
It may not be required to produce the green tax certificate to traffic police. Showing that the car has valid FC (Fitness certificate) is enough. This is because FC is issued only when the green tax is paid.

As far as I know, if the car's FC (Fitness certificate) is expired, its not big deal at all to get it renewed. As Arun said, it would be less than 1000 bucks (not sure what it is like in Hyd). Its just a couple of days work. RC book, emission certificate and valid insurance is needed. Car should be in a decent shape with not too many dents and stuff. Number plates should comply to rules. All electricals like brake light and indicators should be in order. If green tax is the only issue with the car, chill out, you are not in a big mess.
Karthik..Rules in AP differ from Karnataka.Its not as easy as you say.
I myself have registered 8 cars and 10 two wheelers in last 5 years and know the complications which i faced each year.
Its better to comment when you are sure of the laws of the land(state).
Old 23rd May 2010, 07:41   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No no, yours will come with dry type air filter and probably with the flap for hot and cold air intake just as my car.
Old 23rd May 2010, 07:44   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will comment only when I am sure as to which filter came with the Delights.

Manish: Are you 100% sure?

Last edited by arun1100 : 23rd May 2010 at 07:49.
Old 23rd May 2010, 07:48   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
As far as I know, if the car's FC (Fitness certificate) is expired, its not big deal at all to get it renewed. As Arun said, it would be less than 1000 bucks (not sure what it is like in Hyd).
Quote:
hillram: I just wanted to say how the FC system works in Namma Bengaluru.

if I hurt your feelings.
Old 23rd May 2010, 09:24   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I myself have registered 8 cars and 10 two wheelers in last 5 years and know the complications which i faced each year.
It was just my opinion based on many cars that I have accompanied for FC. Again, as long as the papers are correct and car is in a decent shape with proper electricals, its a walk in the park for FC anywhere in Karnataka. To be more precise, it takes 2-2.5 hours in total. Moreover, I have seen that the inspectors have a soft corner to older generation cars and clear with minimal hassles. He generally ends up spending atleast 15 minutes appreciating the car.

May be, you should elaborate on how different it is in Andhra Pradesh. Would be very glad to know about it.

Last edited by funkykar : 23rd May 2010 at 09:27.
Old 23rd May 2010, 11:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes rules here are not as easy as it could be anywhere just a classic example the RTO here asks the original invoice to re-register my PALIO 1.2 apart from quoting 30k for the same. Where will i find an original Invoice for a car which is already registered as KA 04, guys (RTO) think reasonably & its been close to a year now this issue is going on and mean while i had to get another NOC for the car from Banglore. So with this you can understand whats the apathy people would be going for different aspects. As far as I have experienced authority here is not clear and they are very stringent. Things take a very long time to get soughted.

I can understand how it would have been to you Ram and I appreciate you've went through this 18 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
No no, yours will come with dry type air filter and probably with the flap for hot and cold air intake just as my car.
Sir, a pic would help me. I have attached some detailed pictures of the car for all your comments.

Last edited by chanu : 23rd May 2010 at 11:17.

Most Viewed