Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2010, 13:47   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A suggestion - switch the complete braking system from API/Lockheed system to TVS-Girling system (introduced in 1980s).

This will include a new master cylinder, 4 wheel cylinders, rubber and metal brake hose pipes. The entire conversion should cost you around 4-5k, but you will have peace of mind, performing brake and availability of OE quality parts supplied b TVS/Brakes India. The API kits available are of poor quality and fail often.
I second this. TVS Girling (Brakes India) parts are still in production and available. The vehicle braking system is such a thing where practicality takes over originality.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 29th May 2010, 08:20   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
I second this. TVS Girling (Brakes India) parts are still in production and available. The vehicle braking system is such a thing where practicality takes over originality.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
@ karl & Adheesh : the API kits are still available and seem to be of good quality. For daily drivers, Shifting to TVS is good at the expence of originality. But then Karlos your cars I believe still have the API system .
Old 29th May 2010, 08:30   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
@ karl & Adheesh : the API kits are still available and seem to be of good quality. For daily drivers, Shifting to TVS is good at the expence of originality. But then Karlos your cars I believe still have the API system .
I don't consider it too much of a deviation from originality, these items are not even visible. Brake performance is paramount! I have switched over to TVS on one car, second is being done this week. More will follow later.
Old 29th May 2010, 11:38   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Now that it's clear that your car should have the grooved beading, I happen to have a BRAND NEW front windscreen beading made by ALP (well-known brand, very good quality I found) lying at home. 'had bought it alongwith a rear one for my '65 delight, but I never had the need to use the front one, so it remains with me! Only to go to you!
And yes, you're right about the parts guys- 'standard' () reply even I get. When I tried for the brake master cyl. kit for Heralds. The ones he had were of lousy quality that failed instantly! He later began getting TVS, which are still available at Madras after I told him!

You're talking about the API brake cylinders, right?
Seriously! you are making my life easy for my Delight. Delighted to get a friend like you. thanks pa
Old 1st June 2010, 23:38   #95
Senior - BHPian

Curiosity killed the cat

I was comparing the engine bay of Appu with my Padmini and I found Appu has got something different under the carburattor and I was wondering did she had any fitment on to the steads which is left nude and why is there a hole, does it go to the engine? I am confused and slightly worried. Can somebody put some light and relieve me of this doubt circling my mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-p310510_19.44.jpg  

Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-p310510_19.44_01.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2010, 07:56   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
I was comparing the engine bay of Appu with my Padmini and I found Appu has got something different under the carburattor and I was wondering did she had any fitment on to the steads which is left nude and why is there a hole, does it go to the engine? I am confused and slightly worried. Can somebody put some light and relieve me of this doubt circling my mind.
Bala, it's the provision for intake manifold heating pod which has a pipe running from the water pump side. This was discontinued by PAL sometime in the padmini's only to find it's way back in the s1's
Old 2nd June 2010, 09:50   #97
Senior - BHPian

Well Bala what you have is the original Water Heated manifold. The way it was designed in Italy, for the colder country so as to the fuel not condensating in the manifold. It did not had much use in a tropical country like India so was discontinued. Reintorduced in S1 cause of the Emission regulations. You need to find the metal "T" along with the rubber tubes and clips for it to be functional and for originality, other wise you can run the way it is.
Old 2nd June 2010, 18:30   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Well Bala what you have is the original Water Heated manifold. The way it was designed in Italy, for the colder country so as to the fuel not condensating in the manifold. It did not had much use in a tropical country like India so was discontinued. Reintorduced in S1 cause of the Emission regulations. You need to find the metal "T" along with the rubber tubes and clips for it to be functional and for originality, other wise you can run the way it is.
Manish does that mean that my elegant / your select which has this arrangement meet BS1/2 standards
Old 2nd June 2010, 23:40   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post
Bala, it's the provision for intake manifold heating pod which has a pipe running from the water pump side. This was discontinued by PAL sometime in the padmini's only to find it's way back in the s1's
Quote:
Oh! that was quite intresting! Yes I agree that Indian climate conditions does not require and heating aid to avoid consolidation of fuel. I would wisht to have it back to the car when I restore it.

How about some pictures of a car which has it.
Old 3rd June 2010, 00:01   #100
Senior - BHPian

Delighted moments

Meanwhile with the help of a Team BHPian I have procured few parts for Appu, thanks a ton my friend.

1.Steering wheel
2.Aluminium Door handles
3.Front windsheild beading

I am very much delighted and excited the same way when Appu came home when ever a part I get. I know I have to do much in terms of collection as I intend to keep her with me till eternity.

WANTED : I find ash tray missing on my Appu which should be on the rear right side door, is it similar to the one on Padmini?

How does the rear view mirror look on a Delight? I know I have become a question bank off late but I still have few more. Please do clarify as you all have been (Kudos to you all).
Attached Thumbnails
Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-p290510_16.34_01.jpg  

Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-p310510_22.50.jpg  

Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-p310510_22.51.jpg  

Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-p310510_22.59.jpg  

Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-p310510_22.59_01.jpg  

Old 3rd June 2010, 00:16   #101
Senior - BHPian

Door handles sure do need a buffing polish.Are you planning to get them done?
Old 3rd June 2010, 00:24   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Door handles sure do need a buffing polish.Are you planning to get them done?
Not at this moment Sir, however it will be done when the paint job commences. I will buff all the aluminium parts on the car then i.e handles, tail lamps, rear number plate lights etc. These handles may not be polished but god forbid if i loose any of the handles then these will backup.

How do you polish or buff the grille as it is very fragile esp the one which Appu has AFAK its not possible to run the buffing maching on the grille. By the by did anyone try it out?

I was wondering once the car gets a fresh coat of paint and other parts are gleaming the poor grille will be stand alone
Old 3rd June 2010, 09:25   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh! that was quite intresting! Yes I agree that Indian climate conditions does not require and heating aid to avoid consolidation of fuel. I would wisht to have it back to the car when I restore it.

How about some pictures of a car which has it
OK not so good reference pic but you can see how and where its connected.
Will definitely post few clearer pics if you require Bala bhai.
Attached Thumbnails
Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-07022010225.jpg  

Old 3rd June 2010, 10:23   #104
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sagar for the pic as I am not that sound in tech aspects however some clear pictures may make me understand, Sagar i guess this is from S1 if so can I get the assembley and fit it to Appu in case we desire to?
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:39   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not at this moment Sir, however it will be done when the paint job commences. I will buff all the aluminium parts on the car then i.e handles, tail lamps, rear number plate lights etc. These handles may not be polished but god forbid if i loose any of the handles then these will backup.

How do you polish or buff the grille as it is very fragile esp the one which Appu has AFAK its not possible to run the buffing maching on the grille. By the by did anyone try it out?

I was wondering once the car gets a fresh coat of paint and other parts are gleaming the poor grille will be stand alone
Are you going to paint your car, the current one is good indeed and if cared well this will add to the originality. I would suggest you to bring her back to originality by putting the required parts. Mechanically make her right.

As for the paint a good wash and polish will do.

Your seats will be similar to that of my car (i.e. select and superselect) so the ashtray will be in centre of the front seat rear portion and below that you will have the aluminium trim and the magazine net.

A reference picture is attached

Delighted with my "new" 1965 DELIGHT-seat.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks