Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2010, 00:04   #76
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to all for spending time with me. arun thanks for the list I am not sure how far I would be successful in procuring them. This also scares me thinking about the future I must and should get these one. I will take a print out of this and keep it always in my walet.

I see there is a groove on the rubber beading so I guess it could be of a PP or a aluminium patti missing. Thanks adeesh & Karlos for clarifiying and giving me the good news that I can go with PP incase i dont find the particular one.

Thanks Manish Sir for the compliment it makes me happy. Can a 59 Super Select break oil tank resorvoir or a president (if its a metal one) can be apt for my Appu as they got scrapped here. I stand a chance of getting them but the Aluminium lid with blue imprit is a million dollar question I am not sure I am that lucky. I have seen there is no FIAT embossed on the plastic lid.

One humble request to all you Fiat folks as looking at the list which Arun has mentioned I might be unable to source some of these vital parts due to lack of time and knowledge for example rubber parts for a particular brand, beading from another one, cosmetics like side round indicators, tail lamp glasses etc etc and anyone help me. Honestly its a humble request .
Old 25th May 2010, 06:25   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
without any kind of other holder or being painted black, unlike the photograph posted by Manish.

My white car (`88 Padmini) had the Reddish, faded to pink reservoir in plastic with Fiat embossed on the lid. Regards,
Adheesh
For the first one yes, it should all be in one finish and not black, that car is a mix and match for colors.

And for your second, did it came in red color, I always thought these plastic turn red due to brake fluid. Silly me .
Old 25th May 2010, 07:06   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
And for your second, did it came in red color, I always thought these plastic turn red due to brake fluid. Silly me .
Hadn't seem it new, hence cant comment. Sorry
Old 25th May 2010, 07:43   #79
Senior - BHPian

Going by my past experience, these plastic fluid boxes turn pink or Reddish in color due to the color of fluid. When new, they are off white or brown in color. Had this type of fluid box in a Deluxe BE we owned.
BTW they are single pipe ones na.
Old 25th May 2010, 09:16   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
BTW they are single pipe ones na.
Post 1990/91, double piston master brake cylinders were introduced. The front brake circuit and the rear brake circuit is totally independent in such systems. Hence, incase there is a leak in one circuit, the other continues to run. This type of mater brake cylinders have two inlet connections from the brake oil reservoir for each circuit (front and rear) respectively. The brake reservoirs are rectangular in shape as compared to the cylindrical ones in the single piston systems. At a later stage, the brake fluid level warning lamp system was introduced.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 25th May 2010, 10:08   #81
Senior - BHPian

^^ My 1990 March Padmini has the round brake fluid reservoir. My 1991 Feb Economy has the rectangular one.
Old 25th May 2010, 17:48   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Post 1990/91, double piston master brake cylinders were introduced. The front brake circuit and the rear brake circuit is totally independent in such systems. Hence, incase there is a leak in one circuit, the other continues to run. This type of mater brake cylinders have two inlet connections from the brake oil reservoir for each circuit (front and rear) respectively. The brake reservoirs are rectangular in shape as compared to the cylindrical ones in the single piston systems. At a later stage, the brake fluid level warning lamp system was introduced.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
The later systems were supplied by TVS Girling if I am right.
Old 25th May 2010, 19:16   #83
BHPian

Quote:
The later systems were supplied by TVS Girling if I am right.
Earlier systems were API, but all Padminis I have seen till date have TVS Girling (Brakes India)
Old 26th May 2010, 09:45   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Earlier systems were API, but all Padminis I have seen till date have TVS Girling (Brakes India)
My 1978 Padmini is still fitted with API system brakes, do not know when they made the shift to Girling.
Old 26th May 2010, 23:52   #85
Senior - BHPian

I recently change the cylender rubber rings and got TVS Girling of which one was not suitable however even that is not available off the shelf now.

When Appu was coming home when I applied break for the first time I was shocked was pulling to right side then realised its the same problem which my padmini had, she may also require to change the break cylender rubbers or it could be more than that aswell.

Since nothing has be started hope this weekend (lucky its gonna be 3 days off) thinking of doing something for Appu.

Last edited by chanu : 26th May 2010 at 23:53.
Old 27th May 2010, 10:40   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
I recently change the cylender rubber rings and got TVS Girling of which one was not suitable however even that is not available off the shelf now.

When Appu was coming home when I applied break for the first time I was shocked was pulling to right side then realised its the same problem which my padmini had, she may also require to change the break cylender rubbers or it could be more than that aswell.

Since nothing has be started hope this weekend (lucky its gonna be 3 days off) thinking of doing something for Appu.
By cylender rubber rings do you mean the master cylinder, your's should be API make, put only those kit. pulling to one side means work required on the wheel cylinders too. Buy the whole kit and change all rubber at the same time. Alternatively one can go for modification to the new system (twin / cross circuit).
Old 27th May 2010, 23:38   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By cylender rubber rings do you mean the master cylinder, your's should be API make, put only those kit. pulling to one side means work required on the wheel cylinders too. Buy the whole kit and change all rubber at the same time. Alternatively one can go for modification to the new system (twin / cross circuit).
The problem here is that the parts vendors don't keep the brand which we ask, they say thats what they have to offer and vouch that its as good as the branded ones. The Hyd way "Aaj kal gaadiyaan kahan hai saaab jo bhe hai ye hitch hai" (The cars have become scarce these days to have all the parts whatever we have is this)

Hyderabadis and clue on this where we still get standard parts. Ram or Shyam I know you can be of a great help .

What all should be done when the break work is taken up Manish sir, kindly guide me as I want to get the complete break, general servicing doneup for Appu.
Old 28th May 2010, 07:17   #88
BHPian

Quote:
The problem here is that the parts vendors don't keep the brand which we ask, they say thats what they have to offer and vouch that its as good as the branded ones. The Hyd way "Aaj kal gaadiyaan kahan hai saaab jo bhe hai ye hitch hai" (The cars have become scarce these days to have all the parts whatever we have is this)

Hyderabadis and clue on this where we still get standard parts. Ram or Shyam I know you can be of a great help .

What all should be done when the break work is taken up Manish sir, kindly guide me as I want to get the complete break, general servicing doneup for Appu.
I do have a tough time getting the spares for my car as well. I have just got my car's brake system over hauled and hunting for the elusive brake washers was tough. Call me and I shall let you know where my mechanic could get a spare washers for my brake cylinders (rear). We have reused the front washers as they are due to unavailability.
Old 28th May 2010, 07:38   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I see there is a groove on the rubber beading so I guess it could be of a PP or a aluminium patti missing. Thanks adeesh & Karlos for clarifiying and giving me the good news that I can go with PP incase i dont find the particular one.
rubber parts for a particular brand, beading from another one,
Now that it's clear that your car should have the grooved beading, I happen to have a BRAND NEW front windscreen beading made by ALP (well-known brand, very good quality I found) lying at home. 'had bought it alongwith a rear one for my '65 delight, but I never had the need to use the front one, so it remains with me! Only to go to you!
And yes, you're right about the parts guys- 'standard' () reply even I get. When I tried for the brake master cyl. kit for Heralds. The ones he had were of lousy quality that failed instantly! He later began getting TVS, which are still available at Madras after I told him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post
I have just got my car's brake system over hauled and hunting for the elusive brake washers was tough. Call me and I shall let you know where my mechanic could get a spare washers for my brake cylinders (rear). We have reused the front washers as they are due to unavailability.
You're talking about the API brake cylinders, right?
Old 28th May 2010, 10:53   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

A suggestion - switch the complete braking system from API/Lockheed system to TVS-Girling system (introduced in 1980s).

This will include a new master cylinder, 4 wheel cylinders, rubber and metal brake hose pipes. The entire conversion should cost you around 4-5k, but you will have peace of mind, performing brake and availability of OE quality parts supplied b TVS/Brakes India. The API kits available are of poor quality and fail often.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks