Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2010, 18:25   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!

Hi all,

Finally, after quite some suspense except to a select few people, and keeping some of you really irked with that, followed by the brief delay thanks to my net connection, here I am finally introducing her to y'all!

She's a 1964 Standard Herald mk1, which I just picked up yesterday from the home of her previous owner, who had bought her brand new (that's right, 1 owner!) in 1964 and lovingly cared for and maintained her despite his age and health until he sadly passed away in January this year!
The car was bought brand new by Mr. Rao who had worked for HMT, Bangalore. In the short time-period that I knew him, he would share with me many recollections of his life with the car that I was always enthusiastic to hear whenever I met him at his house!
He had joined HMT, Bangalore, in the 50s and had just been promoted to Deputy GM in '64, and could avail a car loan from the co. Back then, he said, the only alternatives for a brand new car being Fiat and Amby, the cost and waiting period for both being quite long. So he opted for the Herald, which had a waiting period of only 6 months. He told me how several people had discouraged him from going for a Herald, which was then only the 2-door version, saying that it was impractical for his family (he already had 4 children by then!) He told me with a chuckle how he brushed it off saying that on the other hand, his children would all atleast be safe at the back since there would be no playing with doors by opening them etc. and also none of them would fight for a 'window' seat!
And further on, his fifth child, the youngest of his sons, was born a year after he bought the car! (incidentally, it was from him that I collected the car.)
Yet he never changed it for another car!
The car when bought was Sebring white (he said it also had a maroon stripe along the sides) and I presume the interior would've been red. He couldnt recall the original regn. it had as he had to keep shuffling between Bangalore and Hyderabad quite a few times on transfer so the car had to be re-registered every time. He told it was an MY regn. (I'm guessing it was MYB, which was a common Bangalore regn. at the time), then shortly later he moved to Hyd. where the car was re-registered as APF 4050 (I was told this was a Ranga Reddy dist. regn., actual Hyd. regns. of the 60s being APU, later ADX), then he moved to Bangalore again in 1984 as Director of HMT where the car was reassigned as CAN 1526, eventually moving back for good to Hyd. on his retirement in 1990 where the car got the present regn. (which IMHO is the only major eyesore on it!)
Mr. Rao had got the car fully redone inside and out and spent a lot on it (I suspect he might've as well done what we now know as a body-off resto) in 1989 during which time CAN 1526 was repainted in the present red colour, which I feel suits her way better! and the maroon interior. Unfortunately, it seems during this time that the dashboard too had been replaced with the non-original decolum panel (but I suspect the original one is still intact underneath) and the original guages were replaced by the present amby(?) ones! The rear view mirror too was replaced by a bigger, modern one. Maybe the gent wasnt aware of this or maybe was convinced into it by an over-zealous mechanic who saw them as more practical or easier to source.
But apart from these glaring slip-ups, the car is all stock and intact! Even the original hubcaps are stored carefully in the boot, albeit all rusty, which is why they might've been replaced (I remember having seen them on the car when I first saw her in 2005, the rims too were in the correct ivory/off-white then)
I could go on and on about how well the previous owner had cared for this little beauty all these years right until his final days! I'd never met in person anyone of that age (nearly 80!) with this much dedication & commitment towards what others would call 'an old, useless car' despite his age and health! Even though he was long beyond the ability to drive anymore, Mr. Rao would unfailingly keep the car mechanically fit; every weekend, he'd himself connect the battery terminals, start up the car and disconnect thereafter. Even had a major suspension and clutch repair done in 2008!
He also had a man-servant to come sweep the yard around his house and water the plants, whom he had wash the car every weekend. And even until last year, he always made sure he got the pollution check updated as and when needed, even despite not driving the car outside at all!
I was told by his son (from whom I collected the car) that he also got a comprehensive insurance, which he also renewed ever year!

Among the incidents that Mr. Rao had recalled of his times with the car was this one that probably strengthened his bond with the car, albeit a relatively unpleasant one. He was posted in Hyderabad then (during when the car was APF 4050) and was driving somewhere with 4 of his children seated in the back. He had to take a turning on the road near the bridge between Balanagar and Bowenpally and there was an oil-spill on that road, maybe from a tanker. He had a habit of driving fast always, and it was too late when he noticed the oil spill, losing control of the car. It slid around in a circle and went off the road, overturning and landing on its roof in a ditch by the roadside. Mr. Rao said he was thrown out with the centrifugal force but none of his children, who were inside the car, surprisingly suffered any major injury at all ("not even a drop of blood!") He believed that God Himself came and saved their lives through the car, for which he was also ever grateful to it! I suspect the car too, which was repaired by his insurance firm, may not have been too badly damaged else would've been written off as a total loss for the kind of fall it had.
Every time I saw the car and his love for it, it endeared me more and more towards this car! But I never dared pester the old gent to sell it lest it estranged my relationship with him as he would ALWAYS tell me, even when I met him the last time in Dec. last year, that he NEVER intended to part with it as long as he lived, even though a few people did come with offers, and never entertained anyone who did ask for the car.
After I met his son, I got in touch with him a couple of times about the car, and he too was reluctant at first but eventually agreed, knowing how close I was to his father in sharing the love for this car and also considering that it didnt mean to him/the rest of his family as much and was bound to suffer neglect eventually.

The car is mechanically and bodily quite fit, except for the doors, which as you can see, both need reskinning at the bottom. The paint is still good enough after 20+ years!
I also intend to repaint the rims back to the original albeit am also toying with the idea of painting them red, as I'd seen on many Heralds back then, before the silver paint became so common!
I've parked it at a friend's place, which is en route to 'my' usual garage at Secunderabad where I intend to take it once the weather's friendlier, as it was today. Although still contemplating the idea of carrying out the work now vs. post-monsoon.

The water-pump, I'm told, needs some work to be done on it, plus the usual carb/jet/plug cleaning and she'll run like a dream!

I have most of the missing parts too, including an original mk1 Herald speedo, albeit needs to be repaired.
I'm still on the lookout for a good one, so should anyone find one, PLEASE help me pick it up!! Pic. attached to show how it looks.

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7373.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7374.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7375.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7376.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7377.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-mk2speedo.jpg

More to share later!
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2010, 19:31   #2
Team-BHP Support

Congratz one more for your collection and superb piece at it. Cant wait for the rejuvenation thread
Old 1st September 2010, 20:18   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Shyam, thats a touching story about the owner and his favourite car.Nice that it has reached you.
The dash has been given a "deshi" touch and needs efforts to get it back to normal.The wheel caps too are "deshi" ones.The three -pointed "deshi" star looks cheap. Are these Ambassador after market wheel caps? I have seen many such caps being sold at Kolkata and these are the Kolkata taxi driver's favourites.Actually meant to say that if these are Amby caps, you can try for new, original Amby caps that may fit Heralds.
Another scoop- was told by my mechanic that the Herald and Landmaster (Smiths) speedo cables are one and the same.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 1st September 2010 at 20:19.
Old 1st September 2010, 21:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful car. With due respect to Mr. Rao & his family, I truly believe that after Mr Rao the car has actually come home. No need to say or write but we know that she'll be well taken care of & we'll see much more of her on TBhp.
As you would remember that I had posted some junked heralds from Jsr in R.I.P. thread, I'll be going back to Jsr & will try to source whatever original fittings I can from those cars. Will PM you my number once my Jsr tour is confirmed.

Can we have some engine bay & dicky pics too.

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 1st September 2010 at 21:17.
Old 1st September 2010, 21:25   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Congratz one more for your collection and superb piece at it. Cant wait for the rejuvenation thread
Thanks jaggu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Beautiful car.
No need to say or write but we know that she'll be well taken care of & we'll see much more of her on TBhp.
As you would remember that I had posted some junked heralds from Jsr in R.I.P. thread, I'll be going back to Jsr & will try to source whatever original fittings I can from those cars. Will PM you my number once my Jsr tour is confirmed.
Can we have some engine bay & dicky pics too.
Hey thanks sonu! I'm touched by your generous offer! Yes, 'hope we can get that mk1 Herald (BP?T 44) for spares atleast!
Yes, will upload the engine bay and boot pics. too soon. Incidentally, CAN had been featured on tbhp too once, had uploaded a few pics. then but, as you say, we will see more of her on tbhp in due course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Shyam, thats a touching story about the owner and his favourite car.Nice that it has reached you.
The three -pointed "deshi" star looks cheap. Are these Ambassador after market wheel caps? I have seen many such caps being sold at Kolkata and these are the Kolkata taxi driver's favourites.Actually meant to say that if these are Amby caps, you can try for new, original Amby caps that may fit Heralds.
Another scoop- was told by my mechanic that the Herald and Landmaster (Smiths) speedo cables are one and the same.
Thanks anjan.
Yes, those are indeed the aftermarket Amby hubcaps! I've seen even Fiats fitted with those. They are of makes with names like 'COX', but come in stainless steel so they dont rust.
I do have a set of brand new 'COX' make PLAIN rounded hubcaps, like the original amby ones, in stainless steel. But unfortunately I used one of the 4 for my Pennant! So I'll need to look for a good used one to fit my pennant so that CAN can have 4 brand new OHH REE GEE NAL look hubcaps!

Reg. the speedo cables, the early Heralds with the Smiths MPH speedos might've been the same for Landys as well but this one being a Yenkay KM/hr one might not suit.

BTW, a little goodie I got with the car: one original "Wilmot Breeden/Union" key that would've come with the car! This seems to be for the bootlid lock.
There have been many keys made and I'm yet to figure out which fits what, only know the ignition switch key so far!

Also a little gift for CAN from me- a nice 'Standard' keychain ordered from ebay UK!

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7385.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7394.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7397.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 1st September 2010 at 21:28.
Old 1st September 2010, 21:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

In pretty good shape! And a little TLC ought to do the job good.
Congrats Sir! Not many people venture into the direction of the Herald, and for those who did, its a saga by itself.

Do keep us posted on the work being done on it. Drive safe!
Old 1st September 2010, 23:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Shyam

A really nice car! I am sure you can get the door done up in no time.

Personally I would have liked it better in its Sebring White and Maroon stripes.

I remember that colour combo well and I was after my dad to get a car in that colour when we were getting the Herald in 1968. But as you know they had stopped the two tone colours as a factory option.

All the best with this one.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 1st September 2010, 23:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful car Shyam.. and a beautiful narration that was !! So, StanHer now has a StanHer .
Keep her well (I'm sure you will) bro'. And we'll look forward to a grand resto thread

edit: Shyam the difference between your thread and any "aam" thread is, that your threads (apart from knowledge) are so full of Emotion !
I like, I like !!

Last edited by SuperSelect : 1st September 2010 at 23:49.
Old 2nd September 2010, 00:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Stanher
That is a nice car. Post some engine baypictures please.
Old 2nd September 2010, 00:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Come on Shyam! you made it, didn't I tell you one day you shall have the car of YOUR'S. Indeed she is a gem, I salute the love which that old gentleman had for this car, she reflects that. I feel this car is very lucky unlike other cars which has now got on to another caring owner. I wish all the other cars and bikes get these kind of owners, now the car has got extended life with caring owner.

Go ahead Shyam give her a nice wash, oiling and other pampering, later give her the attention she needs, If I had to advice you try painting her offwhite on the rims, remove the tenting on the glasses, change the indicator lens and she is ready for the show. Mmm!! so when am I given a ride on this magnificant beauty. Congratulations once again, a well deserved car for a well deserved lover, indeed its you (B)ride.
Old 2nd September 2010, 00:24   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Beautiful car Shyam.. and a beautiful narration that was !!
edit: Shyam the difference between your thread and any "aam" thread is, that your threads (apart from knowledge) are so full of Emotion !
I like, I like !!
Thank you ravi! Speaking of emotion, I cant help being mostly that way! Some others have higher rational content, quite the opposite. No offence meant to anyone but when I interacted with the ex-owner's son, I felt he wasnt as emotional as his father, more brusque and business-like. Even when I (with my mech.) went to collect the car yesterday, he quietly walked with us to his father's house (he lives just nearby in the same locality), seemed more in a hurry to finish off the task as he had to leave for work then. 'spoke little all the while when we were starting the car up. I did ask him a few questions about the car and he just replied to them.
However, as my mech. was driving the car away out the gates, much to my surprise, the gent patted the car on the roof and on the tail-fin, smiling nostalgically. While parting, he just said "I'm sure my father will be happy, take good care of it" as the car left the house one final time with a snort of it's exhaust...! I did tell him he/his family could come see the car anytime they wanted to and gave him my address as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Come on Shyam! you made it, didn't I tell you one day you shall have the car of YOUR'S. Indeed she is a gem, I salute the love which that old gentleman had for this car, she reflects that.

Go ahead Shyam give her a nice wash, oiling and other pampering, later give her the attention she needs, If I had to advice you try painting her offwhite on the rims, remove the tenting on the glasses, change the indicator lens and she is ready for the show. Mmm!! so when am I given a ride on this magnificant beauty. Congratulations once again, a well deserved car for a well deserved lover,
Thanks bala! Yes, 'intend to take her down to a proper service station for a wash and oiling/greasing. First thing on my mind is to take the film off the glasses of course! They are incidentally banned by RTO anyways.
And yes, your place is already reserved for a ride!
Reg, lens, the front one on the left was gifted and even fitted by yours truly! Because the lens was totally missing on the left parking light. Its just a couple of years old, turning yellow already!

BTW, this car is also fitted with a magnificent pair of Jalwa horns- they really have that typical classic hoot!

Last edited by Stanher : 2nd September 2010 at 00:31.
Old 2nd September 2010, 00:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Jalwa horns! all good things packed in one car, ha ha. I love the sound they make I love to have a pair of them, good that ROOTS is making them I heard them in a auto show, takes to those days when these beauties were adding life to the roads.

How about engine bay interiors pictures shyam, I know you must be doing it at a later stage once its cleaned, apart from that you must be busy with the excitement of getting her.
Old 2nd September 2010, 00:45   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Jalwa horns! all good things packed in one car, ha ha. I love the sound they make I love to have a pair of them
Same here! That's why I have 2 more pairs of them!!

Quote:
How about engine bay interiors pictures shyam, I know you must be doing it at a later stage once its cleaned, apart from that you must be busy with the excitement of getting her.
Suuure saar! All in good time! 'not able to go take pics. too freely as the car's parked at my friend's place, which is the house in the photos (incidentally, they are our ex-neighbours. Our old house can be seen from the side (windows of my old room!) if you stand facing the gates of this house, as the car is! While I parked the car there, it all felt ironical; my car just a compound wall away from my home- if only I could park it there forever! Anyways, that'd a different story altogether.
Old 2nd September 2010, 01:25   #14
BHPian

Truly amazing news , congrats Shyam. After all the suggestions , help and assistance you have provided to other Standard owners on this thread and in Hyd, it feels good to know that the same shall happen to your very own!!.

OT : Next time you meet Chimalgi, gimme a call from there so i could say hi .
Old 2nd September 2010, 11:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Great find Shyam.....all the best to you and hope your journey on the road to getting this one back to showroom condition is as smooth as the runway of the new Hyderabad airport !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks