Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2010, 19:17   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Thanks kalyan! The herald in tarnaka you speak of has (or rather had) to be this one!!
That is if you've seen it at a house in St. no. 9, beside St.Ann's School.

I've not seen/heard of any other in that area for that matter!
Yep that is the one I was referring to, no wonder the license number looked very familiar. Good luck with the new bride anyway.
Old 4th September 2010, 10:55   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

As promised here is a pic. of CAN's engine bay- it was much cleaner than it is now! The accelerator linkage has been replaced with that of a Fiat.
Also one of the coveted Jalwa horns! These are among the very first few pics. I took of the car when I first met the ex-owner in 2007. I'd lost these pics. when my PC had conked out and had to be formatted once!

Thanks to karl for having sent me back these.

And, last but certainly not the least, one pic. I have of the late previous owner standing proud and tall with CAN! I had another one too I recall but lost it from my PC (along with many other pics.) as well. The wipers that the car has now seemed to have been fitted sometime later.

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-herald061.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-herald07.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-can_arao.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 4th September 2010 at 10:57.
Old 4th September 2010, 21:13   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hello Mr. Shyam.

I feel really happy that such a wonderful StanHer has chosen you as its new caretaker! I am also happy that it is originally from Bengaluru!
Old 4th September 2010, 21:27   #34
BHPian

Congrats The Standard Guru on your new acquisition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
I am also happy that it is originally from Bengaluru!
Our daughter has landed in your house. Take good care of her!

Chetu!
Old 4th September 2010, 23:03   #35
BHPian

Congrates Shyam for beautiful Standard in your stable!!

Quote:

And, last but certainly not the least, one pic. I have of the late previous owner standing proud and tall with CAN! I had another one too I recall but lost it from my PC (along with many other pics.) as well. The wipers that the car has now seemed to have been fitted sometime later.
Superb Standard Herald car in your stable. In fact the previous owner may not know that his beautiful babe went into house of the "Hyderabad's most eligible bachelor for Standards" Ha Ha !! And in in-law's house she will get more care and respect. Also it is guaranteed that after 25 years of reacquisition, her re-marriage ceremony will be celebrated in year 2035!!
Don't worry!!! Even after owning 2-3 Heralds, I'l still call you as "Hyderabad's most eligible bachelor for Standards"
Old 5th September 2010, 08:33   #36
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Shyam.

Such buying stories are rare to come by these days due to the entry of brokers looking for opportunistic sales. The passion demonstrated for the car and acceptable price one pays can only happen with such buying stories

Cheers

KPS
Old 6th September 2010, 18:29   #37
BHPian

Congrats Shyam ! I missed this thread and saw it only now.
Old 14th September 2010, 23:16   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you all for your kind words!

And now, finally embarking on giving CAN a 'facelift', or rather quite the opposite!

Got her down to my usual bodywork garage over the weekend. The garage guy did take a look at her (the doors etc) but is yet to give an estimate, which he said he would tomorrow.

Phase 1- got off all the tinted film inside all the glasses, finished today!

Was quite easy to take off despite the film being quite old (I suspect was put up the same time the car was done up in 1989) but has to be done patiently, ie. you have to pull if off slowly if you dont want sticky marks on the glass insides. Of course those can still be cleared off with thinner but that's still hard work and bound to be messy...so the less sticky it ends up, the easier it is for you.

I wish I had better pics to take, but anyways, as you can see, all crystal clear, as she was meant to be!

'also have ready most of the original goodies that are to go on!!

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7471.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7472.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7483.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7485.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7486.jpg
Old 14th September 2010, 23:23   #39
BANNED

wow....!

Looks nice, with the sun film off.

Some better pics welcome.

Get rid of that chrome window scrapers, somehow not looking original, or is it.....?
Old 14th September 2010, 23:29   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Looks nice, with the sun film off.

Some better pics welcome.

Get rid of that chrome window scrapers, somehow not looking original, or is it.....?
Thanks pavan! Um, didnt get what you meant by window scrapers though?
Old 14th September 2010, 23:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

Stanher
CAN at last found its niche.
The earlier owner may be happy secure in the knowledge that his 'daughter' is in safe hands.
All the best for the work in hand.
Old 15th September 2010, 00:15   #42
Senior - BHPian

Now that is a clear visibility, car now looks great with those transperent glasses seems as if painted recently. I feel any car without tented glass looks different and elegant. Congratulations Shyam you are giving the car a well deserved looks apart from the care. Just waiting to see your babe getting the doors done up get the paint job complete with those off white rims and one fine day "Queen of the roads" on move.

Last edited by chanu : 15th September 2010 at 00:17.
Old 15th September 2010, 08:48   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all for your kind words!

And now, finally embarking on giving CAN a 'facelift', or rather quite the opposite!

Got her down to my usual bodywork garage over the weekend. The garage guy did take a look at her (the doors etc) but is yet to give an estimate, which he said he would tomorrow.

Phase 1- got off all the tinted film inside all the glasses, finished today!

Was quite easy to take off despite the film being quite old (I suspect was put up the same time the car was done up in 1989) but has to be done patiently, ie. you have to pull if off slowly if you dont want sticky marks on the glass insides. Of course those can still be cleared off with thinner but that's still hard work and bound to be messy...so the less sticky it ends up, the easier it is for you.

I wish I had better pics to take, but anyways, as you can see, all crystal clear, as she was meant to be!

'also have ready most of the original goodies that are to go on!!

Attachment 423877

Attachment 423878

Attachment 423883

Attachment 423884

Attachment 423885
Great work Shyam bhai. The glass seems crystal clear may be because of the protection provided by the film for 21 yrs. I am amazed to see some distinct features of this completely original car, like the rear roof weather strip just below the rear windshield, chrome bits et al. BTW is that a corrosion just below the door glass on the inside. Looks very odd.

Quote:
Thanks pavan! Um, didnt get what you meant by window scrapers though?
IMO He must be referring to the side beading fitted on the outside portion of the door just below the door glass rubber strip.
Old 15th September 2010, 10:17   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
BTW is that a corrosion just below the door glass on the inside. Looks very odd.
'doesnt seem like corrosion, although the paint has been flaking off a little probably due to entry of water from outside (the car used to be washed every weekend but only from outside, so any water that entered inside was not wiped off in time)

Quote:
IMO He must be referring to the side beading fitted on the outside portion of the door just below the door glass rubber strip.
Oh, ok! Those are called weatherstrips/weather-seals actually. They seem to be taken from Fiat. 'wish I could afford original ones (from UK), will have to make do with these for now!
Old 15th September 2010, 13:28   #45
BHPian

It looks so much better now without the sunfilm!

Are the windshield and window glasses originally of CAN? As the car was crashed up before, all these glasses might be quite new.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks