Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2010, 08:58   #91
Senior - BHPian

Good going Shyam bhai, car's taking shape really well. Hope to see it on road soon.Regarding the backing plate, i think you should remove the bulb holder and get it plated. Is the holder not removable?
BTW congrats on the acquisition of the ignition switch which loves its key so much that it doesn't wants to part with it. But i am sure that you would divorce them with one spray puff of WD-40
Old 25th November 2010, 09:27   #92
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful Shyam Sir, I love the wheel colour they are looking beautiful with those shade. I was wishing you car gets off white colour on the rims which has now come true. No doubt you car will be one of the best in Hyderabad (as not aware of other state cars). Do Heralds come with rear view mirros on doors and how do they look, do you have any for APF beauty.

You can try Zinc oxide to the indicator base plate which will protect and give a brand new look as well. When are starting the dashboard work?(removing the decolam).
Old 25th November 2010, 10:41   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Also finally replaced the front headlight with an OE "MADE IN ENGLAND" lucas one!

Which also reminds me of something among a few goodies of Heralds I got just yesterday (bought from ebay UK)- an OHH REE GEE NAL ignition switch with key! Only the key doesnt want to leave the barrel!!

I reckon CAN would be ready to finally come home in the next couple of days- only bummer is it isnt my off-day until Sunday! I could be a bit more relaxed with more time and plan better than on a working day! :(
Great going Shyam, inspite of your busy schedule you are able to manage some work done on your car. And I am jealous that you will be able to enjoy the car unlike me whose restoration is a long way to go.

Bye the way from where did you managed to get the Made in England headlight. I am one lens short for my car.
Old 25th November 2010, 23:40   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Good going Shyam bhai, car's taking shape really well. Hope to see it on road soon.Regarding the backing plate, i think you should remove the bulb holder and get it plated. Is the holder not removable?
Thanks sagar bhai!
No I dont think the holder's removable. 'didnt want to risk trying either.

Ironically, I had a pair of complete brand new assemblies with me years ago. 'let a friend have them for his herald, which was fitted with fiat parking lights. He still hasnt changed them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
No doubt you car will be one of the best in Hyderabad (as not aware of other state cars). Do Heralds come with rear view mirros on doors and how do they look, do you have any for APF beauty. When are starting the dashboard work?(removing the decolam).
Thanks bala. Well, they didnt come with them as 'standard' but I've noticed a lot had them as accessories. Am planning to buy a pair too, when I can afford them!
Dashboard work will have to wait for now I'm afraid! I still havent been able to get the replacement made and so wouldnt make sense removing the existing one. But I atleast intend to refit most of the original stuff, especially the speedo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Bye the way from where did you managed to get the Made in England headlight. I am one lens short for my car.
Well, I was lucky enough to find it on a '65 Fiat I had around 3 years ago- swapped it with an 'ordinary' lucas headlight when I was selling the car!

Anyways, 'got to see CAN today finally! She sure looks fab with her 'new' shoes!
I'll fit the hubcaps when she's home I guess.
I could comment less about the new number of course...! :sigh:

A few minor glitches to be set right....planning out on how to get her home tomorrow, assuming she's ready otherwise.

And also my mech. got the damaged ex-stepney tyre repaired at a shop with some kind of heat process. It does seem and feel good to use. Touchwood?

Also just got in the post today- an OHH REE GEE NAL NOS radiator bottom hose!!

Bought from ebay recently. 'still has the original sticker intact!

I might be using this for CAN although I have half a mind to preserve such a nice NOS hose!

Also got a surprise guest to drop in just in time to meet CAN- a '62 mk1 Herald- seeing this car after quite some time! They just pushed her in as I was about to leave, told me the car came in yesterday, to get the doors patched up.

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7988.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7989.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7993.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7979.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7984.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-apn01.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-apn02.jpg
Old 26th November 2010, 09:49   #95
BHPian

Wow Stanher bhai.. This CAN1536 looks fabulous.. There were couple of Stanhers nearby my house. I dont know if they are still there. But i must confess that because of your car and the great restoration work i started noticing these cars.. Cheers to you..
Old 26th November 2010, 11:01   #96
Senior - BHPian

WOW another Herald. A very unique shade on the roof though. Is this car having rear suspension of some other Standard car. (Standard 10 i suppose)
BTW Shyam bhai don't be in half mind regarding the use of NOS hose do make use of them on your car before it looses its flexibility properties.
Old 26th November 2010, 17:31   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Wow Stanher bhai.. This CAN1536 looks fabulous.. There were couple of Stanhers nearby my house. I dont know if they are still there. But i must confess that because of your car and the great restoration work i started noticing these cars.
Thanks priyadarshan!
The number is (or rather was!) CAN1526 btw!

Could you recall any more details of the Heralds you knew btw?? Colour? Numbers? I might've seen pics. of them sent to me by karl long ago! Pune used to have lots of Heralds too.

Quote:
WOW another Herald. A very unique shade on the roof though. Is this car having rear suspension of some other Standard car. (Standard 10 i suppose)
BTW Shyam bhai don't be in half mind regarding the use of NOS hose do make use of them on your car before it looses its flexibility properties.
Yes, this car is unfortunately fitted with a Standard 10 rear axle!

I've posted pics. of it in the standard cars thread earlier showing the rear axle too- personally am not too fond of this mod though.

Yes the hose does lose its flexible properties within some time, which is also why I was wondering whether to fit it or not. But yes, nothing like an original NOS hose!

Anyways, it turned out not possible to bring CAN home today! But I guess I couldnt be there anyways, with my work schedule!

If only those guys had done exactly a week ago- I had practically 4 days off last weekend!

Last edited by Stanher : 26th November 2010 at 17:35.
Old 28th November 2010, 23:26   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome home- tomorrow!

Well, had planned to bring her home today, was asked to by the garage guy in fact....but it didnt materialise. Which is just as fine, since I intend to renew the insurance anyways, and the offices will be open tomorrow.

Plus need to get a little electrical work done on CAN too. Incidentally, fitted the OHH REE GEE NAL speeo today! I decided if I cant have the dash original as yet, let me atleast have the instruments original!

Meanwhile, here's a little sneak preview of what she looks like now, post rubbing/polishing! I've never seen the paint shine like that! I bet at a distance, most will think she's been totally repainted.

'got to fit a little jewel for the front grille!

Also fitted the new hubcaps on although forgot to take pics. sorry!

But stay tuned for tomorrow- the BIG day at last!

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_8015.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_7999.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_8020.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_8023.jpg
Old 28th November 2010, 23:36   #99
Senior - BHPian

Super da..! Congrats, CAN is bacK with a BANG! Hats off to all the MEN who worked on this STANDARD!

Catch hold of some good Bhpian photographer for a photoshoot!
Old 29th November 2010, 00:36   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Super da..! Congrats, CAN is bacK with a BANG! Hats off to all the MEN who worked on this STANDARD!

Catch hold of some good Bhpian photographer for a photoshoot!
Thanks macha! The best is yet to come of course!

Photoshoot would be a good idea for sure, and we do have a v.good photographer in our midst with a DSLR camera (pulsar56- you might've seen his pics. even in FCCH thread earlier though he's not much in this section) but not sure if he'll travel the distance all the way to my place!

Anyways, let's see!
Old 29th November 2010, 07:48   #101
BHPian

Excellent work Stanher!! I was following this thread from begining. After painting / polishing it looks so fresh. Congratulations!!
Old 29th November 2010, 08:18   #102
Senior - BHPian

The car's surprisingly turned out really well. Rubbing and polishing have made a lot of difference, its gleaming. Do post some pictures from different angles. Would love to see them.
PS: Can you post a pic or two of the repaired WW tyre. Would like to know the outcome of repairs.
Old 29th November 2010, 23:27   #103
Senior - BHPian

Oye yaar, she's looking beautiful !
All your efforts have paid off - waiting with bated breath for more pics !

CAN anyone ask for a better birthday present ?
Old 29th November 2010, 23:34   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

F I N A L L Y.........welcome home!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomus123 View Post
Excellent work Stanher!! I was following this thread from begining. After painting / polishing it looks so fresh. Congratulations!!
Quote:
The car's surprisingly turned out really well. Rubbing and polishing have made a lot of difference, its gleaming. Do post some pictures from different angles. Would love to see them.
PS: Can you post a pic or two of the repaired WW tyre. Would like to know the outcome of repairs.
Thanks for all your kind words!!

Sagar bhai, sorry forgot to take any more pics. of the repaired tyre before fitting! It's now fitted to the front left wheel. But I did post just one pic. of the repaired side earlier I think.

Anyways, today was the day- the BIG DAY!! After what seemed an eternity, CAN is finally here to stay, with me, at home!!

Better still, maybe the best part, I got to drive her for some part of the way home today, FIRST time ever since I bought her!!

It felt like ages since I last drove a Herald, that too a roadworthy one!

But it sure was fun...no running issues, except for an overflow problem, which was found out to be due to the shutter. 'also need to get the original accelerator linkage when money permits, as the present altered set-up feels too feather-touchish! Not good if you've a habit of pressing the pedal hard!

But trust me, she actually feels as mint as she looks when driving! 'cant wait to drive her more often! And I intend to, compared to my other car/s.

Here are some pics. taken today, the last one being just after she reached home. I know they dont do justice and I owe you all better ones. But I was quite tired after arriving home this evening, then it started to get dark.

So will have to wait until next sunday as I'm at work from tomorrow again!

I had also removed the rusty front hubcap and replaced with a new steel one that was part of this set of 4 fitted on the car...but after the pics!

Enjoy!

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_8029.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_8030.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_8033.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_8034.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_8036.jpg
Old 29th November 2010, 23:52   #105
Senior - BHPian

Lovely !
Hey, the last two pictures look straight from the sixties.. period adverts !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks