Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2008, 02:59   #706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I think you mean the people were enamoured. You see we enamel cars, not people
Sorry my bad, dont know what i was thinking then.

here are some more Rolls Royces from the collection. PI and PII's.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc_3509.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc_3513.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc_3516.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc_3527.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dsc_3595.jpg  

Old 27th August 2008, 03:03   #707
Senior - BHPian

Picture of a silver wraith taken during a rally.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-1938-silver-wraith.jpg  

Old 27th August 2008, 05:22   #708
BHPian

Blue Phantom III

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan View Post
The Blue boattail is not Mr Poonawalla's car. Its a Phantom 1 if i am not mistaken. Mr Poonawalla's car is a P3 as you mentioned.
This is the car in post #667 that I am talking about. I am assuming that this blue car is 3CM37 - so, my questions are did Mr Barwani arrange for this body, and does this car no longer have its V12 engine?
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-scan0009.jpg  

Steve Stuckey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2008, 06:04   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stuckey View Post
This is the car in post #667 that I am talking about. I am assuming that this blue car is 3CM37 - so, my questions are did Mr Barwani arrange for this body, and does this car no longer have its V12 engine?
My humble contribution is that 3CM37 still had its PIII engine around 2001-2 as I worked on it when it was in Delhi, at that time the body was as in the photo. Where the body was modified I don't know for sure. I think Karl said the body's adjustments were undertaken in Calcutta.
Old 27th August 2008, 10:38   #710
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Which Bentleys? W O or Derby?
Lets start with the W.O.'s that came here, and eventually cover the Derby's. Could we try to build records along the lines of how Steve has documented the PIII's? Lets make a beginning.

Quote:
I don't think many really appreciate the depth of what Steve has shared on this forum
This is the first time in my life that I have come across someone like Steve who has shared such precious information, the result of years and years of hard work so selflessly. I have no doubt that apart from the monumental effort, this has entailed the consumption of considerable financial resources. All of us actively helping in building the Vintage section here at TBHP, and I'm sure many a visitor from around the globe, will truly appreciate the quality of information shared.

I also strongly believe Steve would end up being known to thousands more than would be possible through a book printed. Due to the costs of such an exercise few would be able to afford such a book. I have no doubt the book would sell out in no time. I also believe this act of Steve has not compromised the value of this material being printed in a book. Beyond the scope of the book this site will be viewed by many many people and Steve would earn recognition in a broader audience

I just hope that many here in India will learn from Steve and share openly, as these magnificent cars are humanity's heritage and not some "secret" to be locked away for eternity. The attitudes of the majority of vintage car collectors in India is to say the very least deplorable. Their petty egos and bizarre concerns have ensured many gorgeous cars remain locked away from an appreciative audience, and I wonder to what end result.

Julian I'm pretty sure in time this site will get upgraded to a level where all this data can be indexed and accessed easily. So I wouldn't worry too much on the size of these threads. We'll eventually sort it out into meaningful digestible chunks of pleasure.

Speedy, you are doing a great job of sharing some exquisite pictures. Thanks a ton.

Last edited by DKG : 27th August 2008 at 10:41.
Old 27th August 2008, 11:49   #711
BHPian

Phantom III 3BU198

This is the last of the Phantom IIIs with Indian connections (although I hope to post other stuff about these cars in India). But, there is NO evidence that the car has ever been in the Sub-Continent.

The chassis came off test on 25 February 1937, fitted with engine X18E, and with steering first at the high C rake but changed during construction to the middle E rake. The RR records say that the car was for use in both the UK and India, but as I have said, I have no record of it ever having gone there.

The chassis went to coachbuilder Windovers Ltd. on 1 March 1937, where they built a sedanca de ville, to design 4986 and body number 6456. The car had false landau irons, and two spare wheels, one to each side. Unusual for a car for use in the UK, it was fitted with Marchal lamps. The car had been ordered from Windovers on 18 October 1935, just after the Phantom III had been announced. It was completed on 29 April 1937 and delivered to its new owner on 3 May, with UK registration DXP989.

The new owner was Major Maharana Shri Sir Vijayasinghi Chhatrapasinjhi, Maharaja of Rajpipla (30 January 1890 - 29 April 1951), who had his often-used English address at The Manor, Old Windsor in Berkshire, which is where the PIII was delivered and kept. He had succeeded as Maharaja on 27 September 1915, and had quite a few RRs, all but the Silver Ghost with coachwork by Windovers: Silver Ghost 32UG, a Hooper phaeton; Phantom I 27WR (coupe de ville); Phantom IIs 154XJ (limousine), 181RY (sedanca de ville) and 171TA (saloon with division); and 20/25HPs GMD73 (tourer) and GBK42 (sedanca de ville).

RR records indicate that the Phantom III was taken over by the Maharani when her husband died (she would later own Silver Cloud III SGT227). In 1956 the car was owned by John Blackwood of the large British engineering company Blackwood Hodge; in 1961 it was owned by a C Campleman, and in 1962 by an A J H King in Kent. In 1961 it was for sale for 600 pounds, still with its original hydraulic tappets, and in July 1962 a London dealer had it for sale at 750 pounds, with under 60,000 miles on the clock. The car was last heard of in a Swedish Motor Museum in November 1972.

This photo was taken of the car in the 1960s.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-3bu198.jpg  

Steve Stuckey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2008, 12:54   #712
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Was there any logic to the choice in steering rake? I should have thought the Rajpipla car as a limo would require the steering at the high rake? Do throw some light on this please
Old 27th August 2008, 13:02   #713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is the last of the Phantom IIIs with Indian connections (although I hope to post other stuff about these cars in India)
Sad to see one list close, but certainly looking forward to a new list open!
Cheers Steve.
Old 27th August 2008, 15:04   #714
BHPian

Quote:
This is NOT the car in Question.
Old 28th August 2008, 05:56   #715
BHPian

Steering rake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Was there any logic to the choice in steering rake? I should have thought the Rajpipla car as a limo would require the steering at the high rake? Do throw some light on this please

The steering rake was not just determined by the type of body (although with fixed seats in limousines for example the higher C rake was most common). It also had to do with the height of the driver and, if he/she drove the car, the owner(s)!
Steve Stuckey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2008, 12:27   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

A couple of early pictures of MHC 707 and WBA 4726 (now MMF 4878)
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-01a.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-02a.jpg  

Old 29th August 2008, 12:10   #717
BHPian

The Viceroy's Phantom III 3AZ47

In post # 418 in this thread I posted a history of this car, plus a photo of her when new and as amended in the 1950s.

This photo, from "The Rolls-Royce Bulletin" of September 1936, shows this car being swung aboard the ss "Bhutan" on 24 July 1936, to start her trip to Bombay.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-3az47.jpg  

Steve Stuckey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2008, 00:44   #718
Senior - BHPian

here are some more PII, PIII and the P5 1960. the Phantom 5 does not fit her but i guess it would do.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-scan0011.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-scan0012.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-scan0009.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-scan0014.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-scan0013.jpg  

Old 30th August 2008, 03:08   #719
BHPian

Great photos Speedy! Keep them coming!
I can see:
1st photo
1937 Phantom III #3BU82 Hooper Sedanca de Ville Maharani of Nabha
2nd photo
1937 Phantom III #3BU50 Thrupp and Maberly Landaulette Maharajah of Darbhanga
3rd photo
1932 20/25hp GKT41 1932 Series TB Hooper Tourer Maharajah of Mandi
4th Photo
Unknown Phantom I or Late Silver Ghost (from the fuel tank shape and non visible cantilever rear leaf springs). Do you have any history?
5th Photo
Phantom V (1959-1968) This must be the Park Ward design built by H J Mulliner after the amalgamation of the 2 companies? It must be a late model as 1960 would have only 2 headlights.
See Rolls-Royce Phantom V

Thanks for posting.

Last edited by Julian UK : 30th August 2008 at 03:13.
Old 30th August 2008, 09:53   #720
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
4th Photo
Unknown Phantom I or Late Silver Ghost (from the fuel tank shape and non visible cantilever rear leaf springs). Do you have any history?
Is that an original body or something reconstructed from drawings? Looks odd, a poor execution even if it were an original.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks