Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2008, 03:15   #841
BHPian

Unidentified Silver Wraith

The photo posted by 67BUG is a Silver Wraith for sure, and one almost certainly with Royal or Vice-Regal connections. What gives this away is the "police light" mounted above the windscreen - illuminated when the VIP was on board to let the police know. I am not sure if the Indian Royal families used these lights, but the vice-regal cars almost always did.
Steve Stuckey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2008, 03:23   #842
BHPian

Silver Wraith

Here are some cars for people to be chasing to help id this SW - WTA23 for Princess Niloufa of Hyderabad, WVA6 for the Viceroy, WVA42 for the Maharaja of Parla Kimedi, WVA60 for Prince Muzzamjah of Hyderabad (all Park Ward, which I think this car is).
Maybe Park Ward can help us when he wakes up in France?
Steve Stuckey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2008, 03:26   #843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Glad to hear the Shadow is coming along, it will be worth it in the end. Keep up the good work!
Do you have any other projects at the moment?
The 2 Silver Wraiths are indeed similar but.

Here are the 3 identical Thrupp & Maberley 25/30s all to design 1254 (Not Silver Wraiths though they look similar)
The only difference is the louvres on the bonnet sides of #GGR 56 (better cooling for hot climates)
This is very confusing and i think it is best handled by the experts. Both cars are similar but yet very different like pointed out by you.

I always thought my friends car was a Silver Wraith, So does does come under PII?

The Shadow will be worth every Penny and time spent on it. No expenses spared on this one, as it is for my father.
There are 4 other cars being restored but none of them are Rolls Royces.
Old 6th October 2008, 03:35   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stuckey View Post
Here are some cars for people to be chasing to help id this SW - WTA23 for Princess Niloufa of Hyderabad, WVA6 for the Viceroy, WVA42 for the Maharaja of Parla Kimedi, WVA60 for Prince Muzzamjah of Hyderabad (all Park Ward, which I think this car is).
Maybe Park Ward can help us when he wakes up in France?
Hi Steve
67bug's Silver Wraith does look like it could be #WVA 6?
Classic Rolls Royces in India-wva-6-park-ward-viceroy-mountbatten.jpg

Speedy
The 25/30 cars are confirmed by "the experts"
Here is your 25/30 front end
Classic Rolls Royces in India-gar-71-tm-limo-baron-howard-glossop-c.jpg

Here is a Silver Wraith front end, horns behind the grills.
Classic Rolls Royces in India-wva-28-1946-park-ward-saloon-hormusjee-camas-b.jpg
photos from team-bhp

Last edited by Julian UK : 6th October 2008 at 03:43.
Old 6th October 2008, 09:48   #845
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Wouldn't it be easier to get the chassis numbers off a car to confirm its correct model/year instead of attempting to identify cars from visuals? World over RR's are invariably referred to by their chassis numbers and most experts like Park Ward and Steve will confirm this is the accepted form of referring to cars. Lets make that effort to refer to cars surviving in India only by their chassis numbers. Steve and Julian have already set precedent in doing so, lets follow suit and identify cars the way they should be.

Julian interesting story about how 71DC went out. What a pity, that must be one of the prettier RR's that had come to Hyderabad

I also liked the Ghost 31 KG you posted elsewhere against owner Dawood Ali Khan. Impressive machine. Now there were two Dawood Jung's in Hyderabad and both had RR's. Let me see if I can get someone to clarify who's car it is

Last edited by DKG : 6th October 2008 at 10:08.
Old 6th October 2008, 09:51   #846
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
to all the experts any idea which Rolls is this one ?
Isn't this Silver Wraith in Lonavala? It keeps reportedly coming up for sale, but nothing concrete materialises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
The car posted by 67BUG is a Silver Wraith confirmed. The car photo you have posted looks very similar to the one posted by 67Bug see the rear quater glass, the hood curve at the rear and the fenders.. The owner of Noble paints Mr.Dinyar.Jamshedji. owns a Silver Wraith of the same you have posted. i forgot the car number.
BMX 6256 is not a Silver Wraith, but just a Wraith.
Old 6th October 2008, 10:07   #847
BHPian

[quote=DKG;1003909]Wouldn't it be easier to get the chassis numbers off a car to confirm its correct model/year instead of attempting to identify cars from visuals? World over RR's are invariably referred to by their chassis numbers and most experts like Park Ward and Steve will confirm this is the accepted form of referring to cars. Lets make that effort to refer to cars surviving in India only by their chassis numbers. Steve and Julian have already set precedent in doing so, lets follow suit and identify cars the way they should be.

Can you pls guide me on where should I look for a Chassis no in an RR ?
Old 6th October 2008, 10:31   #848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
BMX 6256 is not a Silver Wraith, but just a Wraith.
Thank you for correcting me Karl. i was always informed of it being a Silver Wraith.
Old 6th October 2008, 10:40   #849
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Thank you for correcting me Karl. i was always informed of it being a Silver Wraith.
Thanks to Roger OZ, not me. I too made the same mistake till I was corrected. See pages 34 and 35 for more on the subject.
Old 6th October 2008, 12:25   #850
BFC

Julian - do you mean PII - 118PY or 188PY? The reason I ask is that I am the owner of PII - 118PY here in Sydney Australia. Certainly 118PY did not catch fire in 2001, so I assume you mean 188PY?
Kindest regards,
Brian Crump
Quote:
I believe the Stratford Motor Museum closed in 1989
Here is the Sotheby’s catalogue for the auction of the contents of the museum in 1989.
Sothebys 1989 Contents of Stratford Motor Museum - €4.00 : ColumbusCat!, Online Auction Catalagues
Bill Meredith Owen also owned #71DC the 1926 Hyderabad Barker tourer

Here is the Pocher model of PII #118PY (the Rajkot car), which was copied from the car when he owned it.
Pocher-Modellbau-Forum :: Rolls Royce Torpedo Cabriolet 1934 Phantom II K/A 75

Here is a video of Hans-Günter Zach, present owner of #118PY and PI #6YC 1926 Windovers tourer ex-Nanpara
Oldtimer-TV.com - Oldtimer

Here is more about 118PY including a photo of its condition after it caught fire in 2001
Translated version of http://www.classicdriver.de/de/magazine/3200.asp?id=1136
Old 6th October 2008, 13:36   #851
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you pls guide me on where should I look for a Chassis no in an RR ?
As per my limited knowledge on RR's the earlier cars such as the Nizam's 1912 Silver Ghost had the following plate on the cowl on the exterior just by the side where the bonnet meets the cowl

Name:  rr.bmp
Views: 2140
Size:  900.1 KB

I don't know when onwards but the plate moved into the engine bay on the firewall to the right of the engine such as on a later 46/47 Silver Wraith

Name:  untitled.bmp
Views: 2223
Size:  900.1 KB

In post 18 of this thread you will find a comprehensive listing of all RR's produced. With the above reference numbers off the plate you can then correctly identify the model and the year.

Usually the coachbuilder names are engraved on chrome door sill plates but not necessarily always.

Perhaps the RR experts can give a full lowdown on where to look for such info on different year cars
Old 6th October 2008, 13:53   #852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFC View Post
Julian - do you mean PII - 118PY or 188PY? The reason I ask is that I am the owner of PII - 118PY here in Sydney Australia. Certainly 118PY did not catch fire in 2001, so I assume you mean 188PY?
Kindest regards,
Brian Crump
Welcome to the forum Brian! Hope you will join our chaos.You are obviously absolutely correct, my typo, I blame the keyboard as usual. It should be #188PY. I'm sure we'd all love to see a photo of your car? Though it never graced India's shores.

I think I've found a way of attracting new members to the forum

Talking of cars that went out, I have read that when 20hp #GSK 15 was exported by air freight it had been totally stripped, the chassis cut into bits and the body panels had been flattened!!! A friend showed me a photo of the chassis in bits on the RREC website, now look at it:

Classic Rolls Royces in India-gsk15-1925-windovers-cab-bharatpur-b.jpg
Photo from Park Ward's Flickr photo stream

Talking of a Phantom I that didn't go out (post #832) and was a gift to the Birla Industrial museum, the staff have informed us that after Dussehra break is over the curator will open the enclosure where the car is and tell us the chassis number, which is very nice of them. Stay tuned.

Hi 67bug the chassis number will be on a plate on one side of the bulkhead or the other. A Silver Wraith's number will be the engine side.

Last edited by Julian UK : 6th October 2008 at 14:01.
Julian UK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2008, 14:04   #853
BFC

Thanks for the welcome Julian. Yes, it seems you have found a new way of attracting members!! This is a brilliant site and the photos are truly spectacular.
Regards,
BFC
Old 6th October 2008, 14:10   #854
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Talking of cars that went out, I have read that when 20hp #GSK 15 was exported by air freight it had been totally stripped, the chassis cut into bits and the body panels had been flattened!!! A friend showed me a photo of the chassis in bits on the RREC website, now look at it:

Attachment 56476
Fantastic if what you say is true. What is the car standing to the left? It has ventilation ducts, probably an Indian car?
Old 6th October 2008, 16:51   #855
BHPian

Quote:
to all the experts any idea which Rolls is this one ?
The Silver Wraith with split bonnet is an early series (1946-1947), Park-Ward lim to design #17 produced in 8 examples and there's only one chassis that may have found its way to India: #WVA6 which was owned by Lord Mountbatten. Who knows the reg'n number ?
park-ward is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks