Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2015, 16:24   #2176
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Finally got my gear this weekend. As a gift from my elder brother and a friend.

I ended up buying the SPG Icarus and the SPG Centaur as they had no stock of the Ares.

It cost me 4800 for the jacket and 2950 for the gloves.

I used the jacket to office today. 18km in usual traffic at 9:40AM. I must say, I expected being completely drenched, but that wasn't the case. Only my back was wetter than normal, but the mesh at the front did its job perfectly. No sweat issues at all. Very, very happy with the purchase.

As for the gloves, it took me a while to get used to using gloves while riding. No sweat issues here as well. I got to office and was reading about the Centaur and then felt that it was better to get a full gauntlet for Rs. 300 extra. Immediately called Megha Enterprises and asked them if it was ok if I exchanged the gloves for the SPG Ares and they said yes. They said they don't have stock of the Ares right now, so they will give me a call after they receive stock post which I can go in for the exchange.

I hope they get stock soon. I am going home without wearing the gloves and will pack them up again and then wait for their call.

Thank you everyone for your valuable inputs!
Old 1st March 2015, 08:06   #2177
BHPian

Which is the best brand when it comes to Balaclava. Cotton or the Cool max variants? Any online links?
Old 2nd March 2015, 02:41   #2178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Which is the best brand when it comes to Balaclava. Cotton or the Cool max variants? Any online links?
Either Alpinestars or Dainese. They are the best. Check www.bikegear.in for the best prices.
Old 10th March 2015, 10:27   #2179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Hello Guys,

I was looking for a pair of riding boots under 10k and I came across this,

Any review of Tarmac Tour boots from Bachoo motors? What other options do we have in the touring range which would last long!
Haven't used the Puma, but ridden with the Tarmac Venom for well over 20,000 kms. You can read my review of them boots here.

Long story short, don't go for the Tarmac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumithb View Post
How is the service provided by SPG?

Am looking for a new helmet. Went to a local store who sells LS2, Sols & KYT. He was fairly knowledgeable of SPG gear, and though he said their products are good, he advised me against it saying that he has had very bad experiences with SGP w.r.t communication, service and availability of parts.

Would appreciate your experience/insights.
I did not have a good experience with SPG. Even though my issue was genuine, they simply ignored my messages. You can read about the whole experience here.

As far as helmets go, I've used a SOL SL68SII Metal Man Orange for the last 35,000 kms. I love it, but finding parts for it is a pain. In my experience, it's easier to find padding and visors for MT as compared to SOL. Spartan used to import them, but now it's Zeus.

LS2 has just too many fakes out there! Never liked KYTs.
RiderZone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 21:12   #2180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
I did not have a good experience with SPG. Even though my issue was genuine, they simply ignored my messages. You can read about the whole experience here.

As far as helmets go, I've used a SOL SL68SII Metal Man Orange for the last 35,000 kms. I love it, but finding parts for it is a pain. In my experience, it's easier to find padding and visors for MT as compared to SOL. Spartan used to import them, but now it's Zeus.

LS2 has just too many fakes out there! Never liked KYTs.
@RiderZone: Actually, your experience is what prompted me to check if others have had any experience dealing with SPG w.r.t. their service
Old 13th March 2015, 23:02   #2181
BHPian

Has anyone tried bikegear.in ?

These guys have the biggest collection of gear I've seen in any Indian store.
They have a very big catalog of Alpinestars and Dainese.
Old 14th March 2015, 00:45   #2182
Senior - BHPian

^^^ I browsed bikegear. It has an impressive collection. At least based on Rynox products' prices, the discounts seem false. The shown MRP is not the real one, the discounted price is the real MRP.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 21:20   #2183
BHPian

So made the most of my recent trip to the states.

Got myself the Dainese Air 3 Textile Jacket and the Dainese Veloce Gloves.
I had ordered the New Drake Air textile pants too, but the size I ordered, was one size bigger. So I had to return it. The return process for Revzilla was super smooth. I didnt pay the return shipment fee too as they sent me the prepaid UPS label. Very happy with their customer experience. Will be going back to US again next week. Will get the pants again.

I have not yet ridden in the gear, but here are the initial thoughts.
Jackets is purely a summer riding jacket with tones of mesh and no inner liner. For that I have my current DSG Maze. Its very light weight and feels almost like wearing a regular jacket which I feel will help in wearing this all the time. The fit and finish is top notch. The gloves are awesome. I have shorter fingers so finding right gloves has always been a challenge. Thankfully these fit good and the quality is just amazing.

Price:
Jacket $189.
Gloves $150.

Pictures:
The Riding Gear thread-img_3004.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-img_3007.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-img_3006.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-img_3005.jpg
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 19:25   #2184
Senior - BHPian

Hey folks,

I don't know if there is a thread discussion motorcycle luggage. If there is please do point me to the same. Else here is my query,

For my Fatboy, I am looking for a saddle bag. No Tank Bag.
The bag should be able to be slid over the backrest and also it would have ties to secure the same to the rear seat.

I am not looking for a throw-over.

Here are a few of my shortlists

Kuryakyn Tombstone Backrest Bag

or

Saddlemen BR1800/1500 Sissy Bar Bag

or

KURYAKYN GRANTOUR

Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers!
Shubz
#LLB
Old 15th March 2015, 19:43   #2185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
I don't know if there is a thread discussion motorcycle luggage. If there is please do point me to the same
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ew-thread.html
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 20:02   #2186
BHPian

Guys, I'm upgrading my motorcycle probably next month. So I'm in the market for riding gear. Since there are no decent stores in my vicinity I'm forced to take the online route. I have zeroed in on Spartan helios Jacket since kerala is a humid place. But I'm confused about the sizing of the jacket. I'm using a 42 size shirt. What should be the size i must choose. I know it's always recommended to try it out before buying but it's pretty difficult for me.
Also please suggest a pair of gloves under 3.5k mark

Last edited by b16h22 : 17th March 2015 at 20:13.
Old 17th March 2015, 20:19   #2187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
But I'm confused about the sizing of the jacket. I'm using a 42 size shirt. What should be the size i must choose. I know it's always recommended to try it out before buying but it's pretty difficult for me.
Also please suggest a pair of gloves under 3.5k mark
Helios is a good jacket, if you know your international size, just buy the next size. For instance, my international size is "S" & I had a "M" size of Helios.

Gloves, I would suggest going with Spartan Ares (http://spartanprogear.com/Men.aspx?m...t=2&typ=9&sc=5). The only problem with this gloves is that, you'll not be able to buy another one so easily as this gloves will not give up

PS - Thrissur to EKM is not very far - http://www.autoqueen.in/php/JGB.php
Old 17th March 2015, 20:31   #2188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Helios is a good jacket, if you know your international size, just buy the next size. For instance, my international size is "S" & I had a "M" size of Helios.

Gloves, I would suggest going with Spartan Ares (http://spartanprogear.com/Men.aspx?m...t=2&typ=9&sc=5). The only problem with this gloves is that, you'll not be able to buy another one so easily as this gloves will not give up

PS - Thrissur to EKM is not very far - http://www.autoqueen.in/php/JGB.php
Yeah i was considering Spartan ares. Glad to know it lasts long
Btw those guys are only stocking cramsters and dsgs from what i can see. Not that they are bad. But thanks anyway
Old 17th March 2015, 21:00   #2189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
Btw those guys are only stocking cramsters and dsgs from what i can see. Not that they are bad. But thanks anyway
Personally I don't prefer Crapster as I've lost my money on not just 1, but 3 different products from them in unbelievably short time; all other brands from Joe Rocket, Power Trip, Planet DSG & SPG have lasted to rapture.

If you're skeptical, pls get in touch with SPG, they're very helpful folks & you'll not have any issues selecting the right product & size.

BTW, SPG is available in Edapally (http://spartanprogear.com/Enquiry.aspx?mc=1)

Kochi
DJ Helmets
Penta Corner,
Opp.Govt High School,
Edapally,
Kochi - 682 024.
Tel: +91 484 - 2334967Mob: +91 98460 11011 Email: djhelmets@gmail.comContact: Mr. Deepak Johny
Old 18th March 2015, 11:39   #2190
Senior - BHPian

Guys i am looking for neck warmers prefer the location to be Bombay, but if no choice then from any city.

I am attaching the pics for reference. Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-4758514_black_1_1.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-4758614_black_1_1.jpg  

Most Viewed