Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2015, 14:48   #2206
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Do let us know the review. I too have 3-4 of them but never tried while riding. I use a cotton balaclava instead which covers the entire head till neck with only eyes open .
I have a couple of full face balaclavas from my racing days, but my glasses don't fit it, i use a skull cap. The buffs i wanted as the sun and wind gets to the neck. I will keep you informed of the results of riding with the buff.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 20:02   #2207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I bought a K4 Evo a year and 4 months back. Why is AGV still selling the K3?
The K3 & K4 have been on sale alongside for quite a while. The K4 has a better quality liner compared to the K3, and I'm guessing is also a shade lighter. The AGV K3 sits considerably lower on the price band compared to the K4 and I'm guessing continues to generate some serious volume on the Rossi Replica lids
manson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2015, 09:59   #2208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do let us know the review. I too have 3-4 of them but never tried while riding. I use a cotton balaclava instead which covers the entire head till neck with only eyes open .
I just got back from my ride. The buff is super comfortable, one just needs to wear it a little higher as a snug helmet pushes the top part down. It is comforting at 19 to 22 degrees riding at 100 kmph, Sunny and at 24 degrees and above manages to keep the sun away. I personally really liked it, serves my purpose.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 00:58   #2209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
  • HJC CL-16 helmet
  • AGV Sport Solare textile jacket
  • AGV Sport Mayhem short gloves
  • SIDI Gas riding shoes
Stock pictures:
Attachment 1238807
Hi guys!

I'm a fairly new rider and when I started I was as ignorant as many others about "riding gear".
Why do I need it? Only for super-sport bike riders, etc., etc.

I started off wearing a helmet (that I thought was the only protection needed) but paired with regular jeans, over-ankle leather boots, leather gloves, a casual jacket. These I deemed enough protection.

The gloves & over-ankle boots I only wore because the motorcycle safety course (I'm based in the US) that I took specified gloves & over-ankle boots.

Only after reading this thread, a bunch of threads on other forums & on the internet did I come to understand the importance of being prepared & protected while riding.

The HJC CL-16 helmet, the AGV Sport Solare Textile jacket & the AGV Sport Mayhem short-cuff glove along-with the SIDI Gas shoes were the beginning of my gear.

Now, over time I'm slowly building up protection as finances will allow.
Here are some new recent additions to my collection (stock pictures):
Forcefield Limb Tubes (knees):
The Riding Gear thread-forcefield-limb-tubes.jpg

AGV Sport Telluride Textile Pants:
The Riding Gear thread-agv-sport-telluride-textile-pants.jpg

SIDI Fusion Air Boots:
The Riding Gear thread-sidi-fusion-air-boots.jpg

REV'IT Socks - Tour Summer:
The Riding Gear thread-revit-socks-tour-summer.jpg

Next upgrades will be some upgraded CE rated back protection for my jacket (or a new jacket), gauntlet gloves, maybe limb tubes for elbows, perhaps an upgraded helmet. And of-course, some proper hip protection for the Telluride pants - they only have tiny thermo-col/foam pieces that masquerade as hip protection.
The Riding Gear thread-agv-sport-telluride-textile-pants-hip-protector.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd March 2015 at 01:01.
Old 22nd March 2015, 19:26   #2210
BHPian

Anyone used the official RE merchandise riding pants? I am still looking out for riding pants. Costs around 5.5-6k. Dianese and A stars go out of budget.
Old 22nd March 2015, 19:44   #2211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone used the official RE merchandise riding pants?
No, but any specific reason pls?

Quote:
I am still looking out for riding pants. Costs around 5.5-6k. Dianese and A stars go out of budget.
Few options that revolve around your budget that I can think off...

Adonis from Spartan ProGear - http://spartanprogear.com/Men.aspx?m...t=4&typ=7&sc=2
Good thing being, the armors are built in & the KEVLAR material jeans looks like regular jeans & SPG claims to be worn all during the day

RJays - http://www.bachoomotors.com/index.ph...duct&id_lang=1
This one is ALL SEASON riding pants as its mesh material with inner water resistant lining

Planet DSG has one - http://www.adventureshoppe.com/dsg-n...terproof-pants
I've no experience on this; but from the description it appears to be textile (Ballistic Polyster) with 2 inner lining (making it all Weather)

Crapster has one, but I've no opinion on it

PS - Some more cheaper option that I would kindly request staying away, but still, wearing one is better than not wearing one at all isn't it? - http://www.pgsbikinggears.com/motorb...sers-pants.asp
Old 23rd March 2015, 12:04   #2212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I bought a K4 Evo a year and 4 months back. Why is AGV still selling the K3?
Less than a year ago AGV announced the launch of K3 SV model which was supposed to replace the regular K3. The K3 SV is better than the regular one in terms of overall design, aesthetics and aerodynamic ability. The insides are better as well. They've also added an additional half sized sun visor on the inside. A welcome change as its difficult finding visors on these helmets in India.
Old 23rd March 2015, 13:31   #2213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
No, but any specific reason pls?

Few options that revolve around your budget that I can think off...

Adonis from Spartan ProGear - http://spartanprogear.com/Men.aspx?m...t=4&typ=7&sc=2
Good thing being, the armors are built in & the KEVLAR material jeans looks like regular jeans & SPG claims to be worn all during the day

RJays - http://www.bachoomotors.com/index.ph...duct&id_lang=1
This one is ALL SEASON riding pants as its mesh material with inner water resistant lining

Planet DSG has one - http://www.adventureshoppe.com/dsg-n...terproof-pants
I've no experience on this; but from the description it appears to be textile (Ballistic Polyster) with 2 inner lining (making it all Weather)

Crapster has one, but I've no opinion on it

PS - Some more cheaper option that I would kindly request staying away, but still, wearing one is better than not wearing one at all isn't it? - http://www.pgsbikinggears.com/motorb...sers-pants.asp
No specific reason, a rider friend of mine suggested to check out and said RE's riding boots and pants are quite good.

http://store.royalenfield.com/collec...trousers-black

As per their description atleast it looks ok. Would be checking out personally at their store.

PlanetDSG site doesn't list any riding pants apart from A-stars and their Nero is no longer available.

So will check out the RE and RJays this weekend.
Old 23rd March 2015, 13:44   #2214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No specific reason, a rider friend of mine suggested to check out and said RE's riding boots and pants are quite good.
Just a word of caution though you might know already; wise & experienced riders keep away from laced boots as the lace sometimes lace vine up the footrest, gear shift or even the brake pedal.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 20:26   #2215
BHPian

Last weekend I purchased ASPIDA - ZEUS Sport boots, but finding it difficult to change gears because I could not stick boots in between the foot peg and the gear shifter.

Another issue is where to keep my foot? As during normal riding, gears tend to shift down with slightest of touches Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 23rd March 2015, 21:07   #2216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chida View Post
Last weekend I purchased ASPIDA - ZEUS Sport boots, but finding it difficult to change gears because I could not stick boots in between the foot peg and the gear shifter.

Another issue is where to keep my foot? As during normal riding, gears tend to shift down with slightest of touches Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated.
You need to get used to this. Ride a little more over short distances and in light traffic or no traffic zones (parking lot, deserted fields etc). Finding the right amount of pressure with the boots is tricky and will take a few rides to get a hang of it. Once this is sorted, you should not have a problem placing your feet as well.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 00:02   #2217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chida View Post

This is what I am riding my Duke 390 in these days -

My A-stars Ridge touring boots feel like a pair of socks after weraing these. You will have to break these boots in. Depending on the boot, the break-in time would differ. A couple of things you can do to make it better:

- Adjust your shift lever so that the boot fits properly underneath it. Its a simple task and will not yake you more than 5 minutes
- Wear the boots often, and not just on the bike. Wear them around the house and squat, walk, run in them.... not particularly in that order

They will break in eventually. Dont worry. You will lose some feel for the controls initially but as you log more miles on the bike, it will all work out just fine

And; I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs, with the heel resting against the heel plate. You I think are riding with your heels on the pegs, hence the unintended shifts

Hope this helps

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 24th March 2015 at 00:05.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 09:55   #2218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
- Wear the boots often, and not just on the bike. Wear them around the house and squat, walk, run in them.... not particularly in that order
Thanks, will try wearing them around.

Quote:
They will break in eventually. Dont worry. You will lose some feel for the controls initially but as you log more miles on the bike, it will all work out just fine
yes, thats what is worrying me the feel for the controls

Quote:
And; I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs, with the heel resting against the heel plate. You I think are riding with your heels on the pegs, hence the unintended shifts

Hope this helps
I tried few positions/methods, not the one you have suggested here; will try and do that today
Old 1st April 2015, 19:44   #2219
BHPian

I came across a very informative article on WebBikeWorld.com about CE marked armor and protection levels. It makes for a very good read. Most, if not all, Indian motorcycle gear is not CE marked or approved. Good quality stuff from abroad is expensive, so I recommend reading this article before spending your money on high quality gear.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcyc...s-approved.htm
Motard_Blr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 21:06   #2220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
I came across a very informative article on WebBikeWorld.com about CE marked armor and protection levels. It makes for a very good read. Most, if not all, Indian motorcycle gear is not CE marked or approved. Good quality stuff from abroad is expensive, so I recommend reading this article before spending your money on high quality gear.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcyc...s-approved.htm
Thanks Motard_blr, that article was very informative

Looks like my A* Jacket’s elbow and shoulder protectors are CE certified not approved

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks