Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2013, 14:59   #1426
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
You can take a look at the Spartan Perseus knee guards or the Thor Quadrant.

For jackets, look at the Spartan Icarus in that price range. If you are stretching your budget then consider the Spartan helios as well.
I've used the Thor Sector knee guards. Although it offers pretty good protection, the upper part (covering the knee) flaps around at times. Haven't used the Quadrant, but if it's bionic, one should go for it.
The Spartan is a good daily use guard, but doesn't offer any shin protection.

Last edited by dreamseller : 31st December 2013 at 15:01.
Old 31st December 2013, 15:05   #1427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
I've used the Thor Sector knee guards. Although it offers pretty good protection, the upper part (covering the knee) flaps around at times. Haven't used the Quadrant, but if it's bionic, one should go for it.
The Spartan is a good daily use guard, but doesn't offer any shin protection.

I am talking about these :-

http://www.spartanprogear.com/Access...p=0&status=All

A friend is using the same and I quite liked the overall quality and feel of the product. However, the top doesn't have a velcro strap so it isn't as securely fastened towards that area.

These being primarily motocross guards have good shin protection as well.
Motormania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2014, 17:51   #1428
Senior - BHPian

Inquired about Spartan Helios today at Probiker Helmets & Accessories. The price as per the homepage is 6799. But from the shop they are charging as 7100 (which includes the warranty, which, as per the sales rep, I cannot deny). If I order online then there is some packaging charges and it approaches 7200 approx.

I think something is fishy over here. Why are they not charging the 6799 as highlighted on the homepage? Does anybody have any contacts with them? The number that I had dialed is +91-020-30497777.
Old 2nd January 2014, 18:38   #1429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Finally after a long wait, got the Tourmaster Solution Air WP 2.0 boots. Cost was 8k and one of my friend carried it back from US.
Wow, that's a great price for the boots, but for the dollar value going north.

They do look very comfy and should be a breeze on long rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Guys, I am looking for a knee and shin guard combination in affordable range. Please suggest options.
I would suggest you buy riding pants instead of knee guards. I bought the A* bionic knee guards for 5k odd and gave it off and now have riding pants. Riding pants offer much better protection - knee, shin and hip and overall better abrasion resistant material than jeans or denims. Riding pants are also more comfy than knee guards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Inquired about Spartan Helios today at Probiker Helmets & Accessories. The price as per the homepage is 6799. But from the shop they are charging as 7100. Why are they not charging the 6799 as highlighted on the homepage?
Could be local taxes that are pushing the price up. Contact the numbers listed here against Chennai location and inquire.

Last edited by n_aditya : 2nd January 2014 at 18:40.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 00:55   #1430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
No crinkles or red marks - in fact, the soft liner makes sure that your palms are all well

(PS: the longest time period I have worn the gloves till now is about 1.30 hrs straight)

--Anoop

Just placed an order for the same pair of gloves from sportbiketrackgear.com. Really helpful guys. Had to be doubly sure of the sizing and they were more than eager to help. Picked up the KNOX Fastback back protector as well.
Old 3rd January 2014, 10:20   #1431
BHPian

Any reviews on the Royal Enfield riding pants?

http://royalenfield.com/accessories/trousers/
Old 7th January 2014, 09:52   #1432
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I picked up a pair of rynox gloves for a short ride this weekend (220kms up and down).

I went to Lets Gear Up at HSR. Nice store, friendly folks, but no scope of discounts and its better to check the store for the product you are looking for before going there. I actually went for Spartan glvoes, but they were out of stock.

The guy showed me Rynox, and I wasnt really very impressed, but yes I definitely required a pair of gloves and I wanted leather ones as I am very aware of how painful it is to out pull gravel and tiny stones from the flesh of your palms.

I finally did pick up the Rynox Kombat at Rs2650. And these are my views on this.

I have never ever ridden with Gloves, I spent a good hour or so to adjust to them. I just couldn't modulate my throttle or my brakes. But slowly I got the hang of it. And the next morning I left for my ride slightly more confident.

I left 4:30 AM in the morning and it felt great! no cold numb fingers! Throughout the ride I was getting more comfortable with the gloves and there was no outright discomfort. As we rode back home it was pretty hot, around 10:30AM and I reached home around 2pm. Definitely its warmer in the gloves, but there are these vents and tiny holes (albeit crude) which do pretty well to keep the hands comfy (relatively of course). I was happy with the purchase so far.

Later I came home and did a proper check of the gloves. I saw some stitches to be coming off and overall build quality is not that great. And these after a total of around 250kms of riding in them.

As you can see the pics below, I have encircled all those places where the stitching seems shoddy. The store has given me a one month guarantee where in i can return the gloves if they have manufacturing defects. I am going to the store today, and hopefully I get a another better piece.

I really like the gloves - haven't tried any other to be honest, but the build is doubtful or maybe its just i got a bad pair. I think would just go for a replacement of these gloves happily if thats this is one off case.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-img_20140107_090248.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20140107_090314.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20140107_090326.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20140107_090423.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20140107_090505.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img_20140107_090541.jpg  

Old 14th January 2014, 20:30   #1433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
I picked up a pair of rynox gloves for a short ride this weekend (220kms up and down). I went to Lets Gear Up at HSR. Nice store, friendly folks, but no scope of discounts and its better to check the store for the product you are looking for before going there. I actually went for Spartan glvoes, but they were out of stock.

I really like the gloves - haven't tried any other to be honest, but the build is doubtful or maybe its just i got a bad pair. I think would just go for a replacement of these gloves happily if thats this is one off case.
Rynox quality is not up to standards. And the folks at lets gear up had run out of stock of spartan gloves 2 months back itself when I wanted to buy. And then they push one to buy these rynox giving all crappy stories on how they are as good as spartan and all! Bottom line is to stay away from rynox gloves . dunno about other products. So can't say.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire lengthy post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 15th January 2014 at 09:27.
Old 20th January 2014, 21:19   #1434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
lets gear up had run out of stock of spartan gloves 2 months back itself
Donno whats up with Spartan lately. None of their gear is available (Gloves & pants specifically). I have been enquiring about their summer gloves (Phaeton?) @ "Meandering India" (Delhi) for months now but they dont seem to ever have it in stock
Old 21st January 2014, 08:43   #1435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Donno whats up with Spartan lately. None of their gear is available (Gloves & pants specifically). I have been enquiring about their summer gloves (Phaeton?) @ "Meandering India" (Delhi) for months now but they dont seem to ever have it in stock
Send them a note through their website. If they have stock in Chennai or any other city, they might be able to ship the product to you.
Old 21st January 2014, 19:37   #1436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Send them a note through their website. If they have stock in Chennai or any other city, they might be able to ship the product to you.
Sure; thats an option. But I want to try the glove before I buy it. I mean; the biggest advantage of buying desi is you get to feel, touch, smell the product before you buy it. If I had to order online; I would have ordered this for similar rupiyah:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/j...-hybrid-gloves

or spend a little more and get this:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/j...peedway-gloves

Sizing matters; & differs from manufacturer to manufacturer for all apparel & Helmets. I recently purchased a pair of Cramster Tundras. I was surprised that a size "M" fit me just fine (a tad tight in the fingers but not too uncomfy). I am a size "L" in DSG (Primal).

Have read great reviews about this (Spartan) glove but I do not want to invest in it before I get to try it out. And I hate paying for shipping; no matter how miniscule the amount

PS - "crash tested" some gear recently. Review coming up shortly

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 21st January 2014 at 19:41.
Old 21st January 2014, 20:00   #1437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Sure; thats an option. But I want to try the glove before I buy it. I mean; the biggest advantage of buying desi is you get to feel, touch, smell the product before you buy it.

PS - "crash tested" some gear recently. Review coming up shortly
Exactly my thoughts. I am comfortable buying a Music amplifier or a portable hard disc on net, but when it comes to riding gear like a helmet /Glove/Jacket or riding boots I want to try it on and take a call. and more over visiting shop gives me an option to check out personally/feel/touch/smell the various brands /models and buy the one that suits/appeals me most. And for this reason my riding gear purchase is on hold for some time now and got to come down to Bangalore to do the purchase sometime soon.

Crash tested some gear?? Hope testing did not involve the bike and yourself.

Last edited by ashkamath : 21st January 2014 at 20:02.
Old 21st January 2014, 20:15   #1438
Senior - BHPian

With the summer just around the corner, I am looking at buying a mesh jacket and am considering the Icarus jacket from Spartan ProGear.

http://www.spartanprogear.com/Detail...=2&cat=3&typ=1

Any reviews on it? Hows the quality of Spartan stuff?
Old 21st January 2014, 23:21   #1439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Crash tested some gear?? Hope testing did not involve the bike and yourself.
LOL; wish it wasn't so bud. But yes; took a little spill a few days back in the wee hours of the morning (Big oilpatch on the road ...... literally took the bike outta my hands).

Was able to walk away with a minor road burn on the elbow, pain alongside the Hip - Thigh bone joint, muscle compression & pain in the shoulder (still not recovered) & a bruised ego (Now performing at 100% level) . If it wasnt for the gear (incomplete though; no jacket :(); I could have fared much worse. Although; if I were wearing the jacket (now arrived - Teknic Aquavent mesh) I would have simply dusted myself off and rode on. No pain / rash etc.

Even the bike sustained minor damage only - a scuffed tank (desi jugaad type touchup done), bent handlebars (replaced @ Rs 300 - RD 350 bars) and a bent foot peg (Straightened using a hollow metal tube).

Will post details of how the gear performed hopefully soon. But cannot say this enough - Invest in some good gear fellas. The day you go down will be the day you least expected it. Always dress for a crash.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 11:36   #1440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
With the summer just around the corner, I am looking at buying a mesh jacket and am considering the Icarus jacket from Spartan ProGear.

http://www.spartanprogear.com/Detail...=2&cat=3&typ=1

Any reviews on it? Hows the quality of Spartan stuff?
No second thoughts, go for it friend. I have been using Spartan Helios for more than 2 yrs, and the jacket is absolute VFM. Daily use in Bengaluru conditions means, dust will get accumulated on the jacket very soon, but then its easily washable.

Cheers !!!
Milestone is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks