Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2016, 23:07   #2701
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Folks there are two new kids on the block with 'phoren maal' in town to add to the list.

One is RiderZ Planet in Ghitorni (They'd put up a huge stall outside Auto Expo this time) and the other is MotoMadness in W. Patel Nagar.
Old 9th February 2016, 23:20   #2702
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice... Me Feels like a kid waiting to head to the candy store.

Do many of these guys come to things like the IBW and run clearance sales there? Especially the gringo gear?
Old 9th February 2016, 23:37   #2703
BHPian

They do have sales from time to time but not at the Expo. It's mostly new launches and new companies, over the counter sales is not really the focus.

Two gears and accessory companies at Auto Expo I was very impressed with was that of Motoziel and a riding gear start up called Bikeratti. Saw some really cool touring accessories like Bark Busters, pannier bags and even dual purpose helmets at down to earth prices at Motoziel.

Bikerrati is planning to launch classic riding gear like jackets, riding jeans with kevlar reinforcements and D3O protectors etc at very cool prices. I checked out their jeans and all I can say is that they blow my Spidi as well as UglyBros riding jeans out of the water.

Looking forward to both their product launches.
outofthebox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 07:44   #2704
Distinguished - BHPian

This is swell! Thank you for posting these updates box! I have sent a message over to motoziel and will visit them. Couldn't find anything on Bikerrati online though.

Suddenly spending time in Delhi doesn't seem very underwhelming anymore.
Old 10th February 2016, 14:54   #2705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veerameti View Post
Duplicate post from helmet thread -
The dainese store in Orion mall is having their anniversary sale till this Friday, discounts range from 10-50%, I picked up a K3 helmet with sun and moon graphics, criteria being ability for Bluetooth speakers, also gloves, pants and boots, check out if you are interested.
Any idea how much discount they are giving on textile pants?
How much discount did you get on your K3?
Old 10th February 2016, 15:20   #2706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Any idea how much discount they are giving on textile pants?
How much discount did you get on your K3?
The discounts on apparel is from 10-30%, I got 10% off my K3 (on 25K), 10% off on goretex gloves (20K) and a fat 40% off on goretex boots (on 25K). Visit the store at the earliest, as I think the sale is till only this Friday or Sunday.

disclaimer - not related to Dainese in any way.

-Veera
veerameti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 17:22   #2707
BHPian

Has anyone purchased riding gear from KTM stores ? I heard they sell either Alpine stars or DSG. Can anyone please confirm on the same ? IF it is any other brand, how good is the quality ?
Old 10th February 2016, 19:29   #2708
Distinguished - BHPian

SPG in Chennai is launching macna gear pretty soon. They will be the exclusive distributors in India.

Looked up macna online and they are Dutch. It's a good thing because the attention to detail by the euros are top notch. And their sizing will be relatively closer to us as opposed to murican stuff. Plus most reviews seem to say only good things about them. There isn't much online though. Twisted throttle have put their weight behind macna and are exclusive distributors state side. And the best part : gear is adventure dual purpose focused.

Hope the range is priced sensibly. Their all season jackets look great.

Last edited by Red Liner : 10th February 2016 at 19:31.
Old 12th February 2016, 13:54   #2709
Senior - BHPian

While I went to get my Kranos from SPG dealer in Kochi (DJ Helmets) yesterday, checked out mesh jackets from Aspida and Rynox family.
  • Aspida Helios was the best to be in but price was in north of INR 7K and thermal layer was to be bought at additional INR 0.9K. Rain layer available. But comes with Knox armor all around. And has mesh all around with larger pores.
  • Aspida Nemesis found to be VFM at just above INR 6K with removable thermal and rain layers. Not Knox armor but CE certified ones. Was not as comfortable as Helios but closer to that with almost full mesh of smaller pores
  • Rynox Air GT was also a VFM product at just above INR 6K with removable thermal and rain layers. Not Knox armor but CE certified ones. Not as meshy as the first two.

Found another two more Aspida variants costing INR 4.5K and INR 3.8K which did not appeal me. I was about to pick the Nemesis but had only Fluorescent green stripes on black for my size. Other colors available are Orange on black and Gray on black which were either smaller or larger to my size. While they confirm me when would the new stocks arrive, any inputs on this would be appreciated. My requirements are.
  • Regular weekend rides in hot and humid Kerala weather.
  • Occasional rides in unexpected rains.
  • Few rides an year to cooler hill stations.
  • Removable armor for safety.
  • Budget around INR 6K.

Last edited by jacs : 12th February 2016 at 14:07.
Old 12th February 2016, 17:51   #2710
BHPian

After a month of research and agonising over the right combination of protection, style and suitability for Indian weather, I finally went ahead and ordered a whole bunch of stuff which I will be using when my first bike in 20 years gets here next month. Revzilla turned out to be the best option since you could buy everything in one place and their prices and range of brands is unmatched. An extremely helpful feature is their pretty comprehensive video guides and reviews for most products.

The first tranche which I will carry back from the US myself includes :

1. Scorpion 1909 leather jacket plus the optional spine protection - purchased this for offering full protection in the most stylish package I could find.
2. Scorpion Covert Pro denims with the optional hip and knee protection - nothing else comes close to the tech and protection at this price point.
3. Alpinestars Drystars boots - best compromise between protection and the ability to overcome the need for carrying a change of footwear.
4. Alpinestars Oscar Rayburn gloves - well, this one looks great with the jacket.. I may yet regret this one and end up getting another pair pretty soon.
5. Alpinestars Balaclava Beanie cap - the only one suitable for warm weather available.

Next few days should be spent repeating the same process to find stuff for my better half and my kids to ride pillion... I can safely say that I am quite looking forward to it.
Old 12th February 2016, 18:02   #2711
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco Sauce View Post
1. Scorpion 1909 leather jacket plus the optional spine protection
This might not be a good option for india, gets quite warm inside the leathers, even perforated ones.

Have you checked the options available in India? Triumph store i had seen some pretty good and reasonable priced stuff.
Old 12th February 2016, 18:08   #2712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This might not be a good option for india, gets quite warm inside the leathers, even perforated ones.

Have you checked the options available in India? Triumph store i had seen some pretty good and reasonable priced stuff.
I did check out a lot of reviews from folks in Florida and Texas which get hotter than Bangalore and it seems to be pretty well ventilated. And I will probably use this mainly on drives outside of the city and pick up a textile one for the occasional city ride.
Old 12th February 2016, 19:55   #2713
Senior - BHPian

^^ The best gear is the one you wear every time you ride

High quality gear that sits in your closet on account of weather or other assorted reasons is not gonna do you any good

If all you plan to do are long rides outside the city, then great. I have however heard from many people on how well they gear up for out of town journeys, but hardly wear any protection during their day to day commute

Logic dictates that whatever environment you ride more in is the environment you will most likely crash in. So if you tour a lot, your chances of crashing on such rides is higher than (say) a twice a year track day. If intra city commuting is your thing, then same logic applies there as well

Whatever the ride, wear your gear!!!
Old 13th February 2016, 08:35   #2714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco Sauce View Post
I did check out a lot of reviews from folks in Florida and Texas which get hotter than Bangalore and it seems to be pretty well ventilated. And I will probably use this mainly on drives outside of the city and pick up a textile one for the occasional city ride.
I wear a perforated leather jacket and it's not that bad in the go. In city traffic, however, it'll make you feel faint and could possibly make you pass out. Mesh for the city, perforated leather for the highway.
Old 13th February 2016, 08:39   #2715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
^^ The best gear is the one you wear every time you ride

Whatever the ride, wear your gear!!!
I can't agree with you more. I have no plans of getting on the bike or letting anyone else get on behind me without full protection. What I was trying to say is that I don't anticipate much riding in the city since the bike will at best be my tertiary mode of transport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Mesh for the city, perforated leather for the highway.
Kinda expect that to be the case for me as well, though perforated leather should be replaced with the one that I have ordered.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th February 2016 at 10:09. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote feature (QUOTE +) to quote and respond to multiple posts.

Most Viewed