Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2016, 08:26   #20056
BHPian

Re: Biker crashes into my car!

Six Bengaluru devotees killed in accident
Six devotees to Tirumala were killed on the spot in a ghastly road accident at Agarala on the Tirupati-Bengaluru highway, when their vehicle was hit by a lorry in the early hours of Tuesday.

A 15-member group of devotees from Yelahanka in Bengaluru city hired a Tempo Traveller vehicle and started on a pilgrimage to Tirumala late on Monday night. When they reached Agarala village in Chandragiri mandal, 20 km from Tirupati, the vehicle was rammed by a truck coming from Piduguralla in Guntur district.

The deceased were identified as B.M. Suresh (25), Magala Gauramma (23), R. Parvathamma (43), B.S. Sujatha (40), N. Ramya (23), and driver B.M. Kiran Kumar (26), while the injured were rushed to the SVR Ruia Government General Hospital by a 108 ambulance vehicle. The vehicle was damaged beyond recognition. Police deployed earthmovers to pull the damaged vehicle off the road.

The injured are: Poojappa (40), B. Madhu (23), Munemma (60), T. Nagamma (55), M. Munemma (55), Shoba (32), Malamma (50), all hailing from Yelahanka in Devanahalli taluk of Bengaluru, and the lorry driver, K. Ramakrishna Reddy (30), hailing from Brahmanapalli village of Piduguralla in Guntur district. The cleaner, Munaga Srinivasa Rao (39) of Rajupalem mandal (Guntur district), escaped unhurt.

Accidents are common on this stretch of the road, part of the Puthalapattu-Naidupet State highway that connects the temple city of Tirupati with the Chittoor-Kurnool national highway on the west and the Chennai-Nellore national highway on the east. No action has been taken despite repeated pleas by the locals to widen the stretch and construct dividers.
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle8358483.ece
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-tiru.jpg  

Old 17th March 2016, 09:35   #20057
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

I am not sure whether to post my 2 experiences in Feb & March here. Mods please delete my post if it doesn't fit in this section.

I regularly drive on my Honda Aviator to office on Kalyan - Dombivli - Shil Phata - Mahape and Kalyan - Bhiwandi Bypass - Kalwa - Airoli route.

In Feb month, I was rear ended by a motorcycle at Shil Phata on the incline while descending to Shil Phata circle via pipeline road. The rider refused to stop and sped away even if I asked him to stop and pay for the damage. I had no option but to complain at Shil Phata police station because I had noted down his vehicle number. Thankfully his motorcycle damaged my aviator's muffler only. Silencer is very strongly built and did take the hit very gracefully.

In 2nd incident this March, near Metro Junction mall while going to Kalyan one pleasure scooter rear ended me. The rider was not wearing helmet and his scooter did not have any mirror. Had minor arguments with the rider. The rider was staying nearby and threatened me that he will call "friends" to take care of me . His pillion rider was good guy and told me that they didn't do it on purpose. I let it go because there is lot of chaos on road from Tata Power to Patri pul railway overpass. Hence these incidents are a common sight. However, reported this incident to nearby police station and the constable advised me to lodge a complaint at nearby police station at Netivli or Kolsewadi. He also said that they have demanded for Beat Marshals also to deal with such incidents. Didn't lodge a complaint this time because no damage was done to Aviator and the rider's pleasure scooter was having lots of cello tapes so I feared he might complain against me that I damaged his scooter . Request other members to be careful on Tata Power to Patril pul overpass route because left side one lane is full of illegal parking and scooters/autos coming wrong side.

I need advice from fellow bhpians that what should be done in such cases. In both cases I felt alone and helpless. Did I do right thing by lodging a complaint in first case?
Old 17th March 2016, 13:35   #20058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
I am not sure whether to post my 2 experiences in Feb & March here. Mods please delete my post if it doesn't fit in this section.

I regularly drive on my Honda Aviator to office on Kalyan - Dombivli - Shil Phata - Mahape and Kalyan - Bhiwandi Bypass - Kalwa - Airoli route.

In Feb month, I was rear ended by a motorcycle at Shil Phata on the incline while descending to Shil Phata circle via pipeline road. The rider refused to stop and sped away even if I asked him to stop and pay for the damage. I had no option but to complain at Shil Phata police station because I had noted down his vehicle number. Thankfully his motorcycle damaged my aviator's muffler only. Silencer is very strongly built and did take the hit very gracefully.

In 2nd incident this March, near Metro Junction mall while going to Kalyan one pleasure scooter rear ended me. The rider was not wearing helmet and his scooter did not have any mirror. Had minor arguments with the rider. The rider was staying nearby and threatened me that he will call "friends" to take care of me . His pillion rider was good guy and told me that they didn't do it on purpose. I let it go because there is lot of chaos on road from Tata Power to Patri pul railway overpass. Hence these incidents are a common sight. However, reported this incident to nearby police station and the constable advised me to lodge a complaint at nearby police station at Netivli or Kolsewadi. He also said that they have demanded for Beat Marshals also to deal with such incidents. Didn't lodge a complaint this time because no damage was done to Aviator and the rider's pleasure scooter was having lots of cello tapes so I feared he might complain against me that I damaged his scooter . Request other members to be careful on Tata Power to Patril pul overpass route because left side one lane is full of illegal parking and scooters/autos coming wrong side.

I need advice from fellow bhpians that what should be done in such cases. In both cases I felt alone and helpless. Did I do right thing by lodging a complaint in first case?
My 2 cents take on this would be to ignore the damage should it's not that bad and take a stock of the circumstances carefully. Since this bloke began ranting others to 'take care of you', I would hesitate to have a face-off with him. Also try spreading the word on Facebook and other social media avenues through posting their pictures(ofcourse taken in due care and caution)- this may serve to be a deterrent to others. Local cops normally try to avoid such situations unless warranted in the event of a major incident which was not the case here. Be safe !
jacobvarughese is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 14:18   #20059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post

In Feb month, I was rear ended by a motorcycle at Shil Phata on the incline while descending to Shil Phata circle via pipeline road. The rider refused to stop and sped away even if I asked him to stop and pay for the damage. I had no option but to complain at Shil Phata police station because I had noted down his vehicle number.

Keep calm & move on. Any other option is just not worth it (speaking from some of the outrageous experiences I have had )
Gotham_City is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 14:50   #20060
Senior - BHPian

Wear Helmets

Biker slips and falls. There is water on road due to spillage from water tankers, but the point on road where the biker slips, is dry. Wonder what happened.

Shows how vulnerable are two wheeler riders. The biker's shoulder slams hard, somehow he manages to keep his head up and doesn't bang on the road. Else, a haemorrhage was guaranteed. Biker was not hurt. He got up and went away.

Also this emphasizes the universal advice, WEAR HELMETS, even if it is just 200mts to bring a pack of milk.

Soumyajit9 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2016, 18:19   #20061
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Wear Helmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Biker slips and falls. There is water on road due to spillage from water tankers, but the point on road where the biker slips, is dry. Wonder what happened.

I have recently seen a couple of two-wheeler riders just fall off. When I took my India driving test, I saw two-wheel test candidates that could barely balance without touching the ground with their feet. Could it be just inexperience? Or simply not having the strength to hold the bike up if things start to go awry, which is one of the reasons that I leave 2-wheelers strictly alone. Thankfully, no speed was involved, and no-one seemed to get hurt.

On another occasion, I saw a biker park. He and his bike just fell sideways! I suspect that was a DUI case.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 21:56   #20062
BHPian

Got this as a forward in whatsapp. Hope the girls are unhurt. Few things I noticed:
1. The lorry is speeding.
2. The girl riding the bike appears to cut across the road from the other biker's reaction
3. Helmet is worn like a hat.

Old 18th March 2016, 22:08   #20063
BHPian

Girls fault. Seeing a speeding lorry and still cutting it's path so leisurely expecting it to stop dead in its tracks for you is plain stupid and suicidal. Looks as if she didn't even see the truck coming on or just plain ignored it.

I still fail to understand why people take heavy vehicles so lightly. We should give them a break guys. Not that they should be allowed to speed, but just give them leeway and stay an extra two feet further from them for ours and everyone's own good.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 22:41   #20064
BHPian

Accidents in India with Pictures

If I can see it properly, the swift's driver makes a u-turn and takes the accident victims to the hospital? If yes then two things from the video that we don't often see on Indian roads:

1. The Lorry driver does not flee.
2. Someone sees the accident victim lying on the road and makes a quick decision to HELP.
sinharishi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 23:39   #20065
Senior - BHPian

But which kind of road is this, everyone seems to be allowed to go in any direction.
Old 19th March 2016, 00:35   #20066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
But which kind of road is this, everyone seems to be allowed to go in any direction.
This happened at the entrance to the Kochi Infopark, during morning rush hour. The girl is hospitalized and the helmet has saved her life, though it was not worn properly. Kudos to the people around who offered quick help.
bejoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 00:49   #20067
BHPian

This stretch was an accident waiting to happen. Thank GOD the helmet and other onlookers offered to help her in this distressing situation. There needs to be a cop or atleast some security personnel to 'man' this junction, if you will.
Old 19th March 2016, 07:55   #20068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Except for the biker at 0:31 mark, everyone is making a legal turn. Notice broken white lines on the road. That means traffic is allowed to turn at those markings.

How many of us are trained to look for roads signs proactively while driving? I myself learned driving from Maruti Driving School who IMHO, does a great job, but I too started using road signs only after I had driven on US roads. Once the habit kicked in, it was a revelation for me when I saw that our roads too have proper signage and markings on highways.

Only that majority of our road users are trained to ignore them.
Horizon81 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 08:05   #20069
Senior - BHPian

The exact same scenario happened to me once as the tipper and the girl ridden scooter.

I was in the tippers situation, but on a Bullet when this girl on a Scooty cut across from behind a three Wheeler which had stopped to let me pass. I had to swerve to the footpath but the crash guard ended up hitting the front of her scooter which damaged it. Thankfully neither of us fell.
Coming back to this accident, it would have been a different story if that tipper was loaded.
Old 20th March 2016, 08:48   #20070
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is an accident waiting to happen!

Today morning driving on Delhi Gurgaon expressway saw many cyclists using the expressway. And these are surely educated and intelligent people.

Any accident surely the car / bus guy will be blamed.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1458443863959.jpg  

sudev is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks