Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2017, 00:32   #24961
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Saw this accident a couple of days ago near State Guesthouse, Ranchi. The biker was probably dead as the road had blood stains all over, and some sort of video recording was going on.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20171105_195348.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20171105_195433.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 12:05   #24962
BHPian

Received the below as a Whatsapp forward. Unsure of location and timings. From the license plates, it seems to be in northen India. Seems low visibility coupled with deficiency of warning signals.

Drive safe in winters.

Last edited by Suryendu87 : 8th November 2017 at 12:07. Reason: Added more information on probable location
Suryendu87 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 12:14   #24963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryendu87 View Post
Received the below as a Whatsapp forward. Unsure of location and timings. From the license plates, it seems to be in northen India. Seems low visibility coupled with deficiency of warning signals.
Drive safe in winters.
Yamuna Expressway apparently. http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/d...1/1084814.html
hserus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 12:41   #24964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Received the below as a Whatsapp forward.Seems low visibility coupled with deficiency of warning signals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Yamuna Expressway apparently.
Man that clip actually has couple of live pile ups, which sort of sent some shivers down my spine!!

I remember driving through Bangalore-Shimoga sometime in December last year, and the visibility was very similar to what we see in that clip. No amount of hazard lights, fogs, etc helped, and noticed couple of vehicles having a close call.

I chose an empty/isolated spot by the roadside and parked my car to wait out the fog cover. After about an hour, the conditions improved and visibility was much better. It really helped, as just a Km from where I had pulled over, I saw a pileup of 4 vehicles, and sadly there were few casualties.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 8th November 2017 at 12:42.
Vik0728 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 13:38   #24965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Such accidents appear to be common on that stretch.

This is from last year...
WindRide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 13:44   #24966
BHPian

Quote:

Drive safe in winters.

Extremely scary . I am really bewildered to witness people driving without even slowing down in extremely low visibility situations (heavy rains, dense fog/smog). The thumb rule for these situations is to patiently wait till the visibility improves.

Last edited by SDP : 8th November 2017 at 14:45. Reason: Please remove video links while quoting
unleash_thunder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 13:58   #24967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleash_thunder View Post
Extremely scary . I am really bewildered to witness people driving without even slowing down in extremely low visibility situations (heavy rains, dense fog/smog). The thumb rule for these situations is to patiently wait till the visibility improves.
That's noida agra expressway. Low visibility thanks to pollution resulting in smog which they say is common during this time of year. Not sure what future the kids will have if things continue this way....
Old 8th November 2017, 15:40   #24968
BHPian

It is the same every year on Yamuna Expressway. Winters are around the corner and the northern part of the country is engulfed in thick fog during this season.

Every year we see a video of a pile up on Yamuna Expressway. Driving at high speeds in low visibility is the most stupidest thing to do on a highway, unfortunately, most of the drivers continue driving fast in spite of knowing the risks.

Now that the Agra-Lucknow stretch of the expressway is open, we will continue seeing more of these videos.
sinharishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 15:56   #24969
Senior - BHPian

https://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/delh...-lateststories
24 cars were involved in this pile up. Rule is simple. If you can see only 5 meters, drive in a speed you can the car within 5 meters. Wonder how can one speed when there is no visibility.

Last edited by Guna : 8th November 2017 at 15:59.
Guna is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 17:56   #24970
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
.Wonder how can one speed when there is no visibility.
That phrase is the reason behind accidents most of the times. Very miniscule percentage of drivers are aware of driving under such conditions while a majority of them think it's just the usual November fog!

This thread running into so many pages is also another evidence that stops us from wondering any further.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 19:13   #24971
BHPian

Some points on my experience on driving in above conditions:

1. One good rule is to follow a vehicle maintaining a more than safe distance. But eventually a moron will overtake you and fill that gap up, please be patient and maintain an even further gap from that moron specially. During nights following the rear lights is the best option, you can't see the vehicle means you are at a very safe distance.

2. Try and follow large vehicles like buses, specially the ones with the local registration as the driver would know the way better as he is more experienced and he will have better visibility.

3. If you are the lead i.e. there is no one to follow, drive in the mid lane (as you always should) and keep track of the lane markings, specially during night and that might help in reducing the chances of drifting off the road. If someone behind you is honking let him pass, but never increase your speed or divert off from the mid lane too much. I have had many morons tailing my car in such situations and still honking at me asking me to go faster, and they would not overtake you either. A**H**** are everywhere, leave them be they are not worth your time or life. Don't stop to confront them until the visibility is clear up ahead, if you slow down too much or stop at a point where the visibility is too low you might get rear ended. Try and avoid these kinds whenever possible basically. Be selfish and care about your safety first, don't bother about people who don't bother about their lives.

4. Know your lights. I mean seriously I feel just driving at low beam at slow speeds to be so much better than anything else in these situations. Fog lights definitely help. But projectors with HIDs is simply the best option.

5. Don't be shy to get down and clean the windshield properly whenever you get time. Sometimes I had to peak out of the window just to see the lane markings, I always made sure I was driving in the first lane if doing so.
I have driven in zero visibility conditions both at day & night, teachings of my father and a little common sense has always brought me out on the right side safe and well so far.

Last edited by Eddy : 9th November 2017 at 02:11. Reason: spacing for better readability
wrongturn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 19:38   #24972
BHPian

Quote:
Received the below as a Whatsapp forward. Unsure of location and timings.
This clip got circulated this morning on whatsapp and few of the digital media has confirmed that this incident took place early morning today at Yamuna expressway.

This evening I see WA messages again about the same incident, claiming that this clip is a couple of years old and not the latest one.

Last edited by GTO : 9th November 2017 at 09:27. Reason: Poor spellings & grammar. Poorly typed posts. Please type your posts PROPERLY
joshuakeys is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th November 2017, 22:22   #24973
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Drive safe in winters.
How many folks got down from that Eeco? :O Definitely more than 8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post

This is a different road - not Yamuna Expressway, seems like NH-1.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 8th November 2017 at 22:23.
Old 8th November 2017, 22:38   #24974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
That phrase is the reason behind accidents most of the times. Very miniscule percentage of drivers are aware of driving under such conditions while a majority of them think it's just the usual November fog! ... ... ...
It is beyond the comprehension of many drivers, worldwide, not just India, that in those extreme situations when you can't see much beyond the bonnet, the safe speed is walking speed. Those who do know this are regularly rear-ended by those that don't. Then... pileups. (or should that be pilesup?)
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 22:47   #24975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post

That's not Yamuna Expressway. It is in fact NH1 somewhere near Karnal. I passed the spot hours after the pileup. Vehicles involved on both sides, was like a war zone out there.

Last edited by Eddy : 9th November 2017 at 02:19. Reason: quoting a video hampers readability

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks