Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2017, 13:01   #24841
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Apparently, reports mention that it was a self-drive car from Zoom.
Whenever I see these Zoomcar SUVs, I tend to be little more cautious. This is one of the problems with self drive rentals. People with minimal experience with a particular vehicle type/model, can hire it and directly hit the highway often testing limits of the vehicle.

Absolutely avoidable accident. May the departed souls rest in peace.
airbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 15:46   #24842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subuiyer View Post
In Navi Mumbai, a woman riding a scooter loses her balance and falls in the path of a crane, which runs over her head/upper body.
The crane driver could not have done anything in this situation. The common public is petrified of blood and gore, one of the reasons we don't post gory images on this forum. It's the same on the road, many just try and avoid a ghastly situation, specially with kids and family in the car. We do see people stopping towards the end of the video.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Whenever I see these Zoomcar SUVs, I tend to be little more cautious.
I just stay away from Popular Zoomcar models on the road. Inexperienced drivers on the highway, in a car that has probably had little or no maintenance checks. It is tragic that the family taking shelter at the bus stop had to pay for this.

Note that we have had Hertz rentals for a while in India and we have never seen such behaviour from those drivers, simply because it was and probably still is a bit more difficult & expensive to rent.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 20:39   #24843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should be some other rental company, Zoom doesn't have white cars in their fleet.

It's always sad to see young drivers driving crazily and costing lives. RIP:(
fusionbang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 21:39   #24844
Distinguished - BHPian

Few points to note:

Rental companies should insist on higher age + driving license terms for their SUVs especially the Scorpio. No insult to TBHP Scorpio owners but I feel that the Scorpio is most likely to have an accident in the hands of newbies.

The risks are raised even more with the usual overloading and disregard with a rental.

RIP to all the poor souls.
Old 21st October 2017, 15:33   #24845
BANNED

The rental companies must fit speed limiters in their cars. Thrill seekers will not be interested in hiring them if the speed is limited to 100 kph. Those who hire them will be the ones who are not bothered about going slower and hire purely for convenience.

That these self drive rentals depend on insurance and stake the life of others for making pennies by renting out to the assuredly reckless ones needs to be viewed a little more seriously by the law.
Old 21st October 2017, 16:09   #24846
Senior - BHPian

Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
The rental companies must fit speed limiters in their cars. Thrill seekers will not be interested in hiring them if the speed is limited to 100 kph. Those who hire them will be the ones who are not bothered about going slower and hire purely for convenience.

That these self drive rentals depend on insurance and stake the life of others for making pennies by renting out to the assuredly reckless ones needs to be viewed a little more seriously by the law.

Not correct my friend.That is like telling the Ice Cream companies to not add sugar, because the population is getting diabetic. It is hard to predict what sort of nuts they get as customers. Car rentals are going to be the future of transportation.

I guess we need to get into a points system on the DLs or at least an online way to check repeat traffic offenders. That's probably a way they could decide on lending the car. Not that we won't get a first time offender buy at least it may bring down the average number of accidents involving rental cars.

Come to think of it, road accidents are probably the biggest killers after old age and bad health and we don't have a way of tracking traffic offences? Whatever software the govt uses currently tracks offences by registration number and not DL. Or if they have a way of tracking DL related offences it should be on the public domain or at least made available to these car rental companies.

I do share your frustration..

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 21st October 2017 at 16:17.
Old 21st October 2017, 16:40   #24847
BHPian

Quote:
The rental companies must fit speed limiters in their cars. Thrill seekers will not be interested in hiring them if the speed is limited to 100 kph.
I believe Zoom does install Sensors/Trackers to record the speed. They do charge/collect penalty for exceeding the speed limit at the time of return.
Old 21st October 2017, 16:57   #24848
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The rental companies must fit speed limiters in their cars. Thrill seekers will not be interested in hiring them if the speed is limited to 100 kph. w.
I once took a slightly sharp curve in a Zoomcar scorpio at around 75kmph and trust me the response from the car was not what I expected. It was typically how the moose test is performed and I had to slow down and gradually come back to my intended lane. Hence, fitting speed limiters to 100 can only reduce collisions to some extent when its a forward collision. These types of accidents where cars go off road and ram into a bus stop is pure foolishness and attempts to show off some stunts.

Oh but wait, now most of these rentals themselves run on leased cars. Who cares what happens to the cars. That poor lessor is now at loss.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 19:40   #24849
BHPian

Dashcam captured this accident footage 2 days ago in Mannanthala, a suburb in the city of Trivandrum- Reckon it's a sports-bike (KTM?) who lost control and hit the pedestrian who was crossing the road.

jacobvarughese is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 19:45   #24850
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayk View Post
I believe Zoom does install Sensors/Trackers to record the speed. They do charge/collect penalty for exceeding the speed limit at the time of return.
Few guys from my office paid additional 1K(unofficially) to disable GPS tracking when they booked a XUV500 for a 3 day trip. So, I really don't believe in their penalty for over speeding clause as they are not very strict/consistent about it.

Last edited by arun_josie : 21st October 2017 at 19:48.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 20:49   #24851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Few guys from my office paid additional 1K(unofficially) to disable GPS tracking when they booked a XUV500 for a 3 day trip. So, I really don't believe in their penalty for over speeding clause as they are not very strict/consistent about it.
Beating the system, we are good at it
sanjayk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 09:09   #24852
BANNED

yesterday these was a major accident on Bangalore Hassan highway.This was just before the empire Hotel towards Bangalore.
It was around 7.30 PM and I saw 2 cars and one auto. One car(Swift) was totally damaged ,wrong way driving by auto might be the reason for the accident.Another car was also fully damaged.
Old 23rd October 2017, 11:57   #24853
BHPian

Quote:

What is even worse? It killed a family that had taken shelter at the Bus-stop where the Scorpio crashed into! Talk about bad luck !

Deccan Herald
What a tragedy! There is a dire need of de-licencing (similar to demonetization) in India. You want to drive on public roads? Pass all new stringent driving exam & get your new licence.

Our SUV crazy population has this perception of SUVs being more safer & they are completely ignorant about body-roll of these vehicles. I have experienced people laughing at me when I tell them that a Swift would tackle curves better than a Scorpio, an XUV or a Fortuner.
Their logic: You can buy 5 swifts with the money of fortuner. There is no way that a Swift can be 'controlled' better than a Fortuner!
These people don't understand limitation of their vehicles.

Anyway, I refrain to pull over on highways unless there is a highway or fuel bunk & if I really need to, I prefer the spot where there are no curves on either side within 700-800m & enough space on the side of the road to park the vehicles with parking lights on.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 17:46   #24854
BHPian

8 guys in a Kwid , crashed into a truck in Udaipur. Car manufacturers in India can never predict/imagine their product seating capacity.

Last edited by Hickstead : 23rd October 2017 at 17:49.
Hickstead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 19:09   #24855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
8 guys in a Kwid , crashed into a truck in Udaipur.
Overspeeding, overloading along with facebook live - perfect recipe for disaster

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks