Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2009, 17:43   #2401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
This attitude of bus drivers is one of the reason for head-on collisions.
You are right. But in the Infy bus case, I don't think there was a head on collision. The front seems to be intact minus the glass. It seems it turned turtle whilst negotiating sharp turn. But again, there are no sharp turns at the belgaum sections of the NH4. Some one might have clipped it or something must have come under the tyres. Just speculating.
Must wait for some of the survivors to speak up.
Old 21st May 2009, 17:47   #2402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
these two are the same vehicle, i think.
They are indeed images of the same bus. Very tragic.
Old 21st May 2009, 17:48   #2403
Senior - BHPian

The bus seems to have turned turtle! Bad accident indeed! the survivors are very lucky i say!
Old 21st May 2009, 18:03   #2404
BHPian

That a very nasty accident.

Man it seems like the Airavats are on a roll, 1st at Mangalore and 2nd at Belgaum..

There could be many reasons for these accidents happening. Most importantly i feel these are accidents due to Driver Fatigue. Most of these guys are driving 12 hrs a day, which will surely make any one fatigued.

Bangalore to Pune. Is approx 850 kms (15hrs) and initially there used to be 2 drivers but of late just one drives. Even doing 400 kms one way is tiring. Imagine driving from 8:30 pm to 4:30am again driving from 8:30pm to 4:30pm……. This is taking 2 drivers in consideration.

Also if you notice most of the Volvos have not been maintained.
Old 21st May 2009, 18:20   #2405
Senior - BHPian

I see several State Transport Volvo buses in bad accidents in previous pages seems the Leyland/Tata ST drives can't seem to handle these highspeed buses as the accidents all seem bad. Private bus drivers some who lease/rent the buses from a main fleet owner seem more careful used one to GOA she had some 140,000km put in 6 months and not even a key scratch she looked brand spanking new.

Last edited by canonball : 21st May 2009 at 18:21.
Old 21st May 2009, 18:31   #2406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Picture taken from here Five Infosys employees killed in accident at Sankeshwar | All About Belgaum
Attachment 138423

Seems to be a pretty bad accident.

Edit: Could it be a case of too many Volvos' these days has meant the earlier system of training drivers has gone for a toss
OMG its becoming scary in travelling in a Volvo!
Old 21st May 2009, 18:55   #2407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
Bangalore to Pune. Is approx 850 kms (15hrs) and initially there used to be 2 drivers but of late just one drives. Even doing 400 kms one way is tiring. Imagine driving from 8:30 pm to 4:30am again driving from 8:30pm to 4:30pm……. This is taking 2 drivers in consideration.
Heard that they travel to the other side (say 400 kms) take rest for 3-4 hrs and return back. Join duty after 2 days i.e

Driving : (Starting Sunday night) - 22.00 hrs - 06.00 hrs - Rest: 06.00 - 10.00 - Driving: 11.00- 19.00 hrs (Reaching Monday night)

Join duty back on Wednesday night 22.00 hrs

Though not sure about this
Old 21st May 2009, 20:10   #2408
Team-BHP Support

This happened to me four years ago

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ore-worth.html
Old 21st May 2009, 21:24   #2409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
I beg to differ. All services running over 12 hours are given two drivers. For 12 hours itself, they are paid hefty overtime allowance (That is what a driver told me once). The corporation also ensures a minimum 12 hour gap at the destination in most cases. (This is relaxed when there are two drivers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Heard that they travel to the other side (say 400 kms) take rest for 3-4 hrs and return back. Join duty after 2 days i.e
True - atleast in Kerala & Karnataka SRTCs.

I heard that they get a full day off after a long trip. The concept that was told to me was somewhat like this (this is for KeSRTC, TVM-BLR service. Two drivers do the duty on this service)

Sunday: TVM/1515 - Monday: BLR/0430
Monday: BLR/1700 - Tuesday: TVM/0630
Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: TVM/1515.....

In effect, they are free from Tuesday early morning, till Wednesday late evening.
Old 21st May 2009, 22:19   #2410
BHPian

Actually its simple.

We morons are still not a very responsible lot. If we were a culture where we respect others, other road users and others' right of way, we would know WHEN, WHERE and HOW to use the power. Till then this will be daily news.
Its NOT ENOUGH that one or two people become responsible drivers. Its the culture problem. Its what makes them block your free left turn, honk at you when you're waiting for signal, cut across your lane, drive around in high beams. All these work towards the mishaps you and me read about.

Its not very different from the BMW (...just an example) crashes we read about. The moron JUST DID NOT KNOW how / where to use it. Similarly the VOLVO (...just an example) driver gets drunk with the power and he treats other road users like dogs.....and kills them...along with some of his passengers.

Simple, isn't it?

Last edited by Torqy : 21st May 2009 at 22:24.
Old 21st May 2009, 22:49   #2411
Senior - BHPian

I recently went through the bus accident images. I would like to comment on accident that we cannot rule out the possibility of the vehicle being in improper condition.

Recently on my way back from A'bad I was tired after a boring academic project visit. Took government bus using CNG fuel.

But on the whole journey, I was observing what was the real problem with the bus as it was very uncomfortable in the bus.
Started observing with more vigilance once the bus was on Expresshighway.

What I noticed was this :

1) The suspension was not in proper condition. There was some part meshing up/brushing with some other part. I dont know which were those two parts. As soon as the driver lifted off the throttle and pressed the clutch ( i.e. after the vibration and noise from engine subsidized ) I could literally feel two components brushing against each other.

Suddenly I thought about the driver and he was constantly busy with steering. If he pressed accelerator beyond one point bus would go slightly zig zag. This was scary. The driver had to be very very alert on expresshighway where earlier I had seen bus drivers being less stressed.

2) The engine has some sudden surge of power. Genearally the bottom end is quite strong, but in this case clutch slipping was involved to get the vehicle moving. Again definitely this is stressful for a journery starting from almost heart of A'bad and ending in Vadodara.

3) The vehicle was slow to pick up speed after certain extent, which I guess is around 60 kmph. So the driver took risk of not slowing down while he was behind another slow moving HCV in the left lane. The driver would wait for the faster vehicle to pass from right lane, and then step out. He had to do this atleast a dozen times.

At one point of time the bus almost ran into the divider obviously due to suspension issue. I was observing this and the condition of bus was obvisouly not good.

We reached Vadodara at around 8pm, and the driever to drive that same bus to A'bad and come back to Vadodara.

Now image the condition of driver : Badly maintained bus and with work pressure.

Now I think we cannot rule out the possibilty of bad vehicle condition.

Volvo busses are made to travel around 800-1000kms in lesss than 24 hours, and they are not serviced properly. The government busses are in the worst condition.

What we can do is that have sympathy with those drivers if we find them a bit disciplined.
Old 21st May 2009, 23:10   #2412
Team-BHP Support

Here is another Volvo accident which i had reported some time ago. My friend was a passsenger on this bus.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...on-kerala.html
Old 21st May 2009, 23:55   #2413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Actually its simple.

Its not very different from the BMW (...just an example) crashes we read about. The moron JUST DID NOT KNOW how / where to use it. Similarly the VOLVO (...just an example) driver gets drunk with the power and he treats other road users like dogs.....and kills them...along with some of his passengers.

Simple, isn't it?
This is very true. In high way they dont care of other vehicle. I have exp many a time including bangalore City. I think the BMTC/KSRTC should also get penalised for violating rules and regulation along with the driver. They drive like a crazy. This un-educated driver dont know how to handle the power/these machine. Its like Bandar ke hath main phool.
Old 22nd May 2009, 01:02   #2414
BANNED

Accident pics taken near Hinjewadi, pune on 21 may 09. Truck fell into river after breaking bridge side barriers.

Rescue work was on when i clicked the snaps however chances of finding survivor was zero. it is also evident from the pics.

This bridge is pretty notorious in terms of accident and i keep seeing atleast 3-4 such horrible accidents unfortunately in a year.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02802_2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02803_2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02804_2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02805_2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02806_2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02807_2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02808_2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02809_2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02810_2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc02811_2.jpg  

Last edited by idea1979 : 22nd May 2009 at 01:18.
Old 22nd May 2009, 01:17   #2415
Senior - BHPian

Almost impossible for anyone to get out of that truck.If not for the impact on landing, the water sure would take its toll.
Unfortunate incident!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks