Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2017, 17:07   #24736
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
~~~~I didn't notice the car behind the tree.
The one in the red box is what I referred to.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-car-behind-tree.jpg  

swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 18:46   #24737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
The one in the red box is what I referred to.
There is no car there my friend. If you look closely probably you might see a guy standing on a bike under the tree but I definitely don't see a car. Do see some reflection from things on the road though, like broken tail lamps or something but not sure

Last edited by centaur : 28th September 2017 at 18:50.
Old 29th September 2017, 14:14   #24738
BHPian

Found this on Instagram on someone's profile and on the Mumbai Instagram story!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1506674635.863869.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1506674646.594434.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th September 2017 at 15:41. Reason: Correcting apostrophe. Was this post submitted via the iOS app?
GranvilleDsouza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 15:36   #24739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
This was on the news as well. The cab driver fell asleep at the wheel and jumped the wall and onto the wave breaker pylons near Haji Ali off Peddar road. Thankfully No one died. Also, more importantly no high tide, else the taxi could have been carried out the sea.
varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 15:36   #24740
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
This actually happened at Haji Ali.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20170928wa0030.jpg

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...le19771884.ece

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th September 2017 at 16:32. Reason: Adding link
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 20:21   #24741
Senior - BHPian

Pictures sent by a friend; driver sustained head and rib injuries as he wasn't buckled up.

Name:  ForumRunner_20170929_201918.png
Views: 6476
Size:  449.2 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20170929_201925.png
Views: 6457
Size:  488.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20170929_201938.png
Views: 6396
Size:  258.4 KB
Old 1st October 2017, 15:42   #24742
BHPian

We definitely need the licensing and rule enforcement systems to change drastically in our country.

When I was riding/driving in Bangalore, I used to see numerous under-aged teens driving like there is no tomorrow. Once, when I saw a policeman turn a blind eye to a teen with no helmet, I asked the cop why he didn't do anything about it. His reply was an eye opener.

He told, "Sir, if I even stop him, ten people gathering around him, supporting him. It will go as far as a fight where I will get belted by thugs or we get a call from local politician to let go of him. We know they are wrong and they can cause accidents but I have a family to take care of. If anything, he will pay for his deeds and hopefully others will not pay for his mistake".

Hearing that, I realised we need a far bigger change than only registration and cubic capacity based licensing system. For all we know, these guys do not hesitate to ride without a license and to regulate them, we need law enforcement and more power to enforcing officers so they don't need to be scared for their own life.

In addition, when an offence is committed, the process should be independent of politicians whims and in case of DIU/drugs/loss of life should be non-bailable.

PS: Just for comparison, I moved to Germany six months back and started driving immediately (Indian license is valid for six months here and I wonder why or how). The approach taken by Germans towards road and safety are completely different. They are fast but follow the rules to the teeth. I am now converting my license to a German one and the procedure itself is exhaustive and expensive. First aid course, theory tests, practical classes, practical test and throughly drafted rules enable you to use the motorcycles and cars to the limit.

Last edited by Viv3k : 1st October 2017 at 15:46.
Viv3k is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 18:26   #24743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv3k View Post
We definitely need the licensing and rule enforcement systems to change drastically in our country.
The rules are there in place, but the interest in enforcing it, is quite laid back. In fact from what I understand the rules have become very strict in all kinds of traffic violations, but I don’t see them being enforced. I saw an article from the Kerala MVD, in the local newspaper that the accident statistics show a downfall in the number of accidents and deaths, but just a casual ride on the road, I wonder how that came about , by watching the blatant violation of all kinds taking place, and no one to curb it. This must be the common practice all over the country, at least there is great unity in this issue.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:10   #24744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv3k View Post
PS: Just for comparison, I moved to Germany six months back and started driving immediately (Indian license is valid for six months here and I wonder why or how)
I too wondered why and how could Europe & UK allow

If a person has driven only in India or any other country which does not maintain EU or UK standards, allowing to drive, is a major flaw in their rules and a liability let loose.

Once you have passed your Theory, only will then will you realise, how many rules you were not aware of and still had the opportunity to drive.
You should pass the practical test with a few hours training, provided you have good driving habits and follow MSPSL.

Cheers!
Old 2nd October 2017, 10:38   #24745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
I too wondered why and how could Europe & UK allow

If a person has driven only in India or any other country which does not maintain EU or UK standards, allowing to drive, is a major flaw in their rules and a liability let loose.

Once you have passed your Theory, only will then will you realise, how many rules you were not aware of and still had the opportunity to drive.
You should pass the practical test with a few hours training, provided you have good driving habits and follow MSPSL.

Cheers!
Same is the case with the US. First time that i drove in the US, I was like . How did they expect someone with a license issued in India to drive here?. I did a read through of the manuals from the state DMV site before i landed in the US and kept a copy of it in my phone for reference. To top it off there are specific rules for certain states. There rules and the way people follow it make driving easy.
Old 2nd October 2017, 12:56   #24746
Senior - BHPian

Likewise in Singapore. If you hold a foreign driving license, you can clear a Theory test and get your Singapore driving license valid for 5 years.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 13:08   #24747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Likewise in Singapore. If you hold a foreign driving license, you can clear a Theory test and get your Singapore driving license valid for 5 years.

Yup, this is true. I have Singapore driving license.

All countries expect some mature understanding of traffics rules and they cannot restrict someone who is on a business trip or personal not to drive in their country.
Old 2nd October 2017, 21:17   #24748
Distinguished - BHPian

I saw a KSRTC Airavat Scania with its face smashed up and lying in the opposite direction of travel on the Bangalore Hyderabad highway somewhere between Gooty and Anantapur. I don’t know how it ended up on the wrong side but I saw a news flash that five people were killed. Does anyone have info on the same? I also saw a badly smashed Verna and another car near Chikkaballapur on the same road. Both were fresh incidents and I was surprised by how new cars with L boards were being driven on the right lane at slow speeds. Perfect recipe for getting rear ended since this road is built for good speeds and the official limit itself is 100kmph in many places.
Old 2nd October 2017, 21:22   #24749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I saw a KSRTC Airavat Scania with its face smashed up and lying in the opposite direction of travel on the Bangalore Hyderabad highway somewhere between Gooty and Anantapur. I don’t know how it ended up on the wrong side but I saw a news flash that five people were killed. Does anyone have info on the same? I also saw a badly smashed Verna and another car near Chikkaballapur on the same road. Both were fresh incidents and I was surprised by how new cars with L boards were being driven on the right lane at slow speeds. Perfect recipe for getting rear ended since this road is built for good speeds and the official limit itself is 100kmph in many places.
I saw a SRS travels VOLVO with its front damaged facing Bangalore around the same spot.
There was a Ecosport from Myles self drive with its front damaged as well in front of it.
It looked like the Ecosport had jumped the divider. I saw it on the way to Gooty and on the return as well. Couldn't stop to take a picture since I was in good clip. This was on Saturday.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 21:25   #24750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I saw a SRS travels VOLVO with its front damaged facing Bangalore around the same spot.
There was a Ecosport from Myles self drive with its front damaged as well in front of it.
It looked like the Ecosport had jumped the divider. I saw it on the way to Gooty and on the return as well. Couldn't stop to take a picture since I was in good clip. This was on Saturday.
Saw the SRS Scania on Friday as well. But that looked slightly old, ie no people around. Even I passed this area at a high speed and hence did not stop. No dashcam on the car either. Since I came to know that the KSRTC accident was quite brutal it is still running in my mind as to what happened. Rest looked like the usual scenarios to me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks