Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2018, 11:14   #26836
BHPian

A lot of forum members are of the opinion that an under-run bar on a truck would save lives. Well, I am not so sure. Behold, I present to you, the life saving under-run bar that will not be saving any lives whatsoever. :banghead:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1533101856557.jpg

I am not sure if we have any regulations for the truck under-run bars with respect to size, width, etc., but how inconsiderate must one be to build such a horrible example of this safety feature? How much money was saved? If anything this would further worsen the damage to the human body in case of a collision. The way Indians circumvent certain things that are just for safety, just boggles the mind. I'm gonna put this right up there with the various things our people do to avoid the seatbelt warning alarm.
Old 1st August 2018, 11:35   #26837
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Mate, I am a little confused about what is wrong there with that rear crash beam on the tanker

Offtopic: Is that RMZ phase II entrance in Chennai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
A lot of forum members are of the opinion that an under-run bar on a truck would save lives...
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 11:44   #26838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am not sure if we have any regulations for the truck under-run bars with respect to size, width, etc., but how inconsiderate must one be to build such a horrible example of this safety feature? How much money was saved?
Well, at least it has one instead of not having one at all. Also, this in most probability was retro-fitted during for the fitness inspection which can be the reason it is not upto the industry standard.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 11:48   #26839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Mate, I am a little confused about what is wrong there with that rear crash beam on the tanker.
It's way too short. I have a Honda City and the bar was barely at the level of my windshield. Not ideal at all!

And yes, that's RMZ 2. Eagle eyes, I suppose! .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Well, at least it has one instead of not having one at all.
Actually, this would not have made any difference as this bar would not have hit the crash structure, instead it would have glazed over the hood and straight through the glass. Scary to imagine!

Last edited by esoticoreventon : 1st August 2018 at 12:15. Reason: Quoting tharian's post
esoticoreventon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 13:06   #26840
Senior - BHPian

Not an accident,

Link: Man allows 5-year-old daughter ride scooter; gets his licence cancelled

I think there must a jail term for such activities.
msdivy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2018, 14:00   #26841
Senior - BHPian

Six people were killed and four others injured when a speeding Audi car hit went out of control, and hit at least two bystander, and an autorickshaw that was parked on the side of the road in Sundarapuram near Coimbatore on Wednesday.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...imbatore-85770
Old 1st August 2018, 14:00   #26842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Actually, this would not have made any difference as this bar would not have hit the crash structure, instead it would have glazed over the hood and straight through the glass. Scary to imagine!
I would say it is the fault of the RTO who inspected this during the fitness.
If you notice the registration of the truck, it is an old vehicle which would have been refurbished to pass fitness during which it would have got the rear under-run bar fitted.
Old 2nd August 2018, 09:36   #26843
Senior - BHPian

In Coimbatore, a drunk driver drive his SUV into a crowd of people at a bus stand and killed 7 people.
https://www.ndtv.com/tamil-nadu-news...batore-1893425

Quote:
The driver of the SUV lost control over it and ploughed into the crowd, they said.

He was said to be under the influence of alcohol was caught by the public and later handed over to the police
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-eaqm0j4c_tamilnaduroadaccidenttwitter_625x300_01_august_18.jpg
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 10:17   #26844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
...a drunk driver ...
Do not take it personally, but requesting you not to jump into a conclusion, which is "as per the report", "alleged" or "according to the sources" etc. This news channel clearly mentioned "he was said to be..". So it is not sure about it. Media houses write catchy lines to sale the news . We as a member of this forum are not into that business I guess.

Why I am telling this, as many other reported it may be a case of driver dozed off behind the wheel. So, let the truth come out. Meanwhile, we should be careful every time we sit behind the wheel.

RIP to the departed souls, may the almighty give power to the family & friends to come out of the trauma.
cp171185 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 10:27   #26845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A lot of forum members are of the opinion that an under-run bar on a truck would save lives. Well, I am not so sure. Behold, I present to you, the life saving under-run bar that will not be saving any lives whatsoever. :banghead:

Attachment 1785816

I am not sure if we have any regulations for the truck under-run bars with respect to size, width, etc.
A under run bar for a 3.5M rear overhang truck has to be 660 mm above road level when unladen laden, and that for a 2.5 M or lesser rear overhang truck has to be 470mm above road level.
Trucks with more than 440mm bumper level should have a front under run strip below bumper which can vary between 370mm to 440mm in laden and unladen condition. Read 2 nd message here to see how wedge shaped aerodynamic cars negate the presence of under run bars.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-s...rtant-you.html
Rahul Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 10:29   #26846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp171185 View Post
Why I am telling this, as many other reported it may be a case of driver dozed off behind the wheel. So, let the truth come out. Meanwhile, we should be careful every time we sit behind the wheel.
Indeed. Here's TNM's version:

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...imbatore-85770

"(eyewitnesses to the accident) claim that the driver of the Audi was speeding, (the driver told the police) that he had lost consciousness at the wheel at the time of the accident."

In fact it is unlikely he was drunk at 9.30 AM, when going to pick his employer. That sort of behaviour would have been definitely career-ending for him. No businessman would retain a driver who'd report drunk for duty, and word will spread around quickly that he'd find it difficult to land any more opportunities in the city.

True story: My uncle was nudged from behind by a luxury car in Kochi (near the high court, where he lives). He took a spill. The owner took him to the hospital in the same car, and then fired the driver immediately (called his office to send him a replacement driver). His argument was he couldn't trust this driver with his life any further.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 10:55   #26847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp171185 View Post
Do not take it personally, but requesting you not to jump into a conclusion, which is "as per the report", "alleged" or "according to the sources" etc.
Irrespective of what media is projecting and ignoring the allegation of drunken driving, any driver who kills seven people on the roads in his/her car (ignore the Q7 as well) must be tried for murder.

People almost always forget "with great power comes the great responsibility". How could one drive in such uncontrolled manner and kill bystanders & pedestrian on road? Just horrendous act
Old 2nd August 2018, 11:11   #26848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In Coimbatore, a drunk driver drive his SUV into a crowd of people at a bus stand and killed 7 people.
https://www.ndtv.com/tamil-nadu-news...batore-1893425

Attachment 1786105
Even though it pains me to hear about incidences of mob lynching, for once the mob should have lynch this low life. Its is not okay to drive drunk even though you may think you are a superman. There is no justification for putting others at risk because you live under delusion which says "i drive better when I am drunk" and brag it to your friends. Imagine how many family devastated, he/she may be their only bread earner. What a country we have created. We are breeding monsters.
Old 2nd August 2018, 11:12   #26849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
Irrespective of what media is projecting and ignoring the allegation of drunken driving, any driver who kills seven people on the roads in his/her car (ignore the Q7 as well) must be tried for murder.

People almost always forget "with great power comes the great responsibility". How could one drive in such uncontrolled manner and kill bystanders & pedestrian on road? Just horrendous act
Agreed, but my point was not to jump into generic conclusion, that's all. Let the entire picture come out, exactly what happened before the tragedy. If he is found guilty then law should take it's own course. Actually I have seen many times, these unnecessary conclusions ruined someone's life, which subsequently proved wrong.

EDIT: See the post by fellow BHPian extreme_torque. He/she is already influenced by the post I am referring. These catchy lines spread more than the fire I guess.

No harm to anyone.

Last edited by cp171185 : 2nd August 2018 at 11:19. Reason: Adding text
cp171185 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 11:37   #26850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
CCTV visuals of the accident.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks