Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2019, 01:20   #28336
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverKill View Post
If only the Nexon guy would have driven a bit more sensibly. The Ciaz bore the burnt here. I guess the Ciaz was taking Right/U-turn.
Ciaz and the pickup before unless broken down have no business of just chilling there on passing lane of a highway and without even courtesy of hazard lights.

Nexon driver is one of those person who annoys us on the highways. Tailgating, aggressive overtakings, passing through narrow gaps, probably flashing lights and thinking that parts way for them etc.

Being a mild accident without injuries, they both kind of deserve each other in my opinion.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 25th April 2019 at 01:22.
Yieldway17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 03:46   #28337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Looks like the Ciaz either 1) Broke Down 2) Fiddling with GPS 3) Taking a phone call 4) Drinking water and taking a break.

Doesn't look like a split in median anywhere for taking turn.

I would say extremely lucky Ciaz that it wasn't the Bus
I like your 4-point observation/s on the kind of utter stupidity that car drivers in our great country are totally capable of doing especially in the last place they should be doing it.

That said, about a turn, I think everyone here missed the point that the Ciaz guy had his RIGHT SIDE TURN INDICATOR ON which probably shows us that the two vehicles were about to turn towards the right maybe to maneuver a u-turn as there is no visible right turn there. We couldn't possibly see the break in the median from the Nexons angle of view.

Further, if the pickup and Ciaz already had had an accident it would have been the Ciaz tailgated the Pickup and then his hazards would have been automatically activated via airbag or then switched on manually to signal.

And yes, the Ciaz was lucky that it was the Nexon and not the bus otherwise it would have been another story altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I agree. The Nexon guy must have been a fool to assume nobody in his sane mind would park in the rightmost lane without the blinkers
The Ciaz guy in fact did have his right side blinkers on signalling that he was going to move towards the right in the process of making a U-turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Ciaz and the pickup before unless broken down have no business of just chilling there on passing lane of a highway and without even courtesy of hazard lights.
Ciaz in fact had his right side turn indicators ON!

The Nexon guy seems to have been too involved in enjoying the performance of his car so much so that he wasn't paying as much attention to the road as he should have been, given the speeds he was at and was too late to notice and react suitably. Seems to be new/inexperienced to me.

P. S. - I was wondering how did we get access to the Nexon footage? Was the guy a bhpian? Am I missing something here?

Last edited by SDP : 25th April 2019 at 23:03. Reason: Formatting
pixantz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 08:37   #28338
BHPian

If there is a break in the median at that point of the carriageway (with no road signs before in sight), we have, god forbid, bigger incidents waiting to happen soon.
haldar_siliguri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 09:05   #28339
BHPian

A few things that I noticed in the Nexon / Ciaz incident.

- the Nexon seems to be driven rather unsafe - the pass between the bike and car, for instance

- the pass on the bus was made without ensuring that the road is clear to make a safe lane change (yes, the Ciaz was a distance away, but its safe to factor unforeseen situations)

- the indicators on the Ciaz should have alerted the Nexon driver to slow down or not make the pass.

While 9 out of 10 times such drivers get away, it's the 10th time that such could happen.

Last edited by navin : 25th April 2019 at 13:20. Reason: typo
Old 25th April 2019, 10:38   #28340
BHPian

Quote:
The Ciaz bore the burnt here. I guess the Ciaz was taking Right/U-turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redswift View Post
If you look closely, you can see a stationary pickup truck carrying water cans(?) right in front of the Ciaz.
Correct. It is taking a turn there and so are some vehicles in front of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Doesn't look like a split in median anywhere for taking turn.
There are 3 signs on the right that go by, any of which could be for the gap in median (See attached). Additionally there is a green board with a big right arrow on it on the left. And the Ciaz definitely had its right indicators on. Neither the truck carrying water cans or the Ciaz are broken down vehicles in the middle of the road.

The accident only proves that Nexon has poor handling and the driver was rash or inexperienced. He/she had about 50 meters lead on the bus to his left and did not make any attempts to move to the second lane.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20190425-9.40.47-am.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20190425-9.40.12-am.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20190425-9.41.26-am.png  

shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 10:54   #28341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well another crumple zone doing its job here.
Attachment 1871070
Utter stupidity on the part of Nexon driver, it looks like there was a child occupant (first picture) in the car.

However, more than the foolishness of the Nexon driver, I am amazed at how well the car has held up after the crash. There is absolutely no trace of damage on it apart from a dislodged bumper (slightly crumpled too?). If I am not wrong, it is the same Bolero pickup parked alongside the Ciaz in the above pictures. Probably the poor Ciaz ended up hitting it as well though no considerable damage to show for it.

Last edited by self_driven : 25th April 2019 at 10:56.
self_driven is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 11:31   #28342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Utter stupidity on the part of Nexon driver
Agree, the Nexon driver is fully responsible for this accident. It seems, his motive was only to move forward without any regards to other road users

Last edited by airbus : 25th April 2019 at 11:35.
airbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 11:54   #28343
Senior - BHPian

I will blame Nexon driver fully. Speeding, overtaking without any regards to others on road, not paying attention to a car which can be spotted from a long distance with indicator and tail lights on, not even making an attempt to brake till the last moment. A complete amateur.

Someone mentioned this reflects poor handling on Nexon's part. I don't agree. If you won't even make an attempt to move your car to the second lane how can handling even enter the picture. On a side note Nexon build quality is amazing. Considering the impact and status of Ciaz, Nexon looks like it's barely even scratched.

This accident was completely avoidable only if Nexon owner was driving properly.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 12:07   #28344
BHPian

A car is only as good as its user. You cannot blame the car for not being able to change lane or brake on time. The driver of Nexon is to blame for the accident who didn't even bother to brake when he had plenty of time/distance to do so.
motobliss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 12:13   #28345
BHPian

I will post my observations without declaring who is “guilty”
  1. It can be seen that a populated area has started and guard rails are installed to divide the by lanes – In such areas, one should be more caution as the chances of lane skipping, negotiating U-turn are very high
  2. The bikers are squids! No helmet, wandering in right most lane, bike without rear view mirrors, etc. - One should not overtake them so closely. I always make sure that such bikers are aware of my presence(loud and clear) before I make any move
  3. Overtaking the bus with such less margin (with assuming moving traffic ahead) should be avoided at all cost – I wait for some time to assess the traffic ahead before moving ahead
  4. I think a 2 lane should widen up to 3 lane before a turn, to allow traffic to move to right most lane. The design of the road is incorrect. Also clear and repeated indication of gap-in-median should be provided on the right side of the median
My wife reads out the first 5 characters of number plates (after grouping them by occurrence) of nearby standing vehicles (small to mid-size) which allows sorting of probable local traffic (which may turn without signal). This practice has shown very positive results (but is very hard to master). In this case, it is most likely that the pickup will also have [TN 19] registration!

Last edited by purohitanuj : 25th April 2019 at 12:28.
purohitanuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 14:06   #28346
BHPian

A lab technician returning home midnight from duty died in Madurai, TN when his motorcycle hit a big stone in the middle of the road.

Initially, it was thought to be road traffic accident. Later on examining CCTV camera, a thief had deliberately placed a big stone in the middle of the road, waited for someone to fall to steal his belongings.

The case was changed into murder case later.

A life lost for a petty theft.

RIP.

A lot of vehicles passed the spot before he fell. Nobody parked their vehicle and removed the huge stone from the road. (Lonely stretch of road, middle of night- a perfect ambush for thiefs, I understand.)
Unfortunately no Police patrolled during that time.

Looking 3-4 vehicles in front and not short sighted driving of blindly following the vehicle in front will be helpful to spot and avoid obstacles with ample time.

(General statement, no traffic in this case.)

As far I could see, the motorcyclist (victim) didn't wear helmet. This could have prevented death even after falling down.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th April 2019 at 15:19. Reason: Spacing and formatting
Arwin07 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 14:08   #28347
BHPian

Coward Act!
1 life lost!

Large stone placed in 4-way intersection aiming to cause intentional accident aiming theft.

full video

Last edited by jeganatu : 25th April 2019 at 14:11.
jeganatu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 15:35   #28348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
My wife reads out the first 5 characters of number plates (after grouping them by occurrence) of nearby standing vehicles (small to mid-size) which allows sorting of probable local traffic (which may turn without signal). This practice has shown very positive results (but is very hard to master). In this case, it is most likely that the pickup will also have [TN 19] registration!
I didn't quite understand this point. Could you please elaborate?
Old 25th April 2019, 15:39   #28349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
I didn't quite understand this point. Could you please elaborate?
I suppose what was meant is, if the frequency of vehicles with the same RTO registrations are found on a highway, the chances are high that these are local vehicles and the probability of such vehicles criss crossing the highway is higher. If such is found, then, it is good to slow down and look for surprises.

Last edited by swissknife : 25th April 2019 at 15:41.
swissknife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 15:41   #28350
Senior - BHPian

On the Nexon-Ciaz accident, any guesstimate on what the speed of the Nexon could have been?

It appeared the driver braked just a fraction of a second later and nothing more. But, with the ABS kicking in, my guess is that the Ciaz would still have taken a hit albeit a much lesser one. And the Nexon driver was lucky enough to not have swerved to the left in a hurry, which would have lead him right into the path of the bus.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks