Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2019, 11:04   #28366
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Did anyone else see the recent CCTV footage from Madurai of a random guy plonking boulders onto a National Highway?
It turned out that he was drunk. ...
May not have been drunk; may have acted that way to escape serious consequence from the crowd.

A long time back when HSR was a sparsely populated place, I opened the door & walked into my house. SOmething made to look back & to my horror, I saw a random guy had followed me into my house and was at the doorway.

I shouted & ran to him and gave him a tight slap. He acted as though he was mad and backed away. Since I was alone, I let it (and him) go.

I am certain that a couple of seconds later I would have been threatened with a knife, at least.
sridhu is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 17:16   #28367
BHPian

Due to the negligence of the biker, they landed into the rear wheels of a truck. This happened in bollarum, Hyderabad. The husband lost his life in this incident.

Last edited by Hickstead : 26th April 2019 at 17:43.
Hickstead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 17:25   #28368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Due to the negligence of a TATA ACE driver, a couple landed into the rear wheels of a truck. This happened in bollarum, Hyderabad. The husband lost his life in this incident.

Do you think the Ace driver is at fault or the biker himself for overtaking from the left?
Old 26th April 2019, 17:35   #28369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Do you think the Ace driver is at fault or the biker himself for overtaking from the left?
I agree with you. I have edited my post. Even the TATA ACE is parked in the extreme left on the road shoulder.
Hickstead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 17:56   #28370
Senior - BHPian

And the Ace driver just looks at the chaos he has caused and walks away nonchalantly :(
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 18:27   #28371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Due to the negligence of the biker, they landed into the rear wheels of a truck. This happened in bollarum, Hyderabad. The husband lost his life in this incident.
Quote:
There is no way that this is due to the negligence of the biker. Vehicle doors, even on the pavement side, should never be opened without looking properly.

Sure, there is all sorts of (the usual) stuff that is wrong with what this biker is doing, but the driver of the Ace should have been looking for anything that could have hit his door. For selfish reasons as well as well: lots of other drivers, not just bikers, fail to keep distance, making it a good way to loose a door.

Personally, even as a pedestrian, I look out for people who might be about to open a car door. Sure, the biker should have thought the same. He didn't deserve to die, though.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 26th April 2019 at 18:29.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 19:22   #28372
BHPian

Quote:
Come on, in a city two lane road, you can't be overtaking from right always. In the video, the speed of all the vehicles are very slow. Even leaving that argument aside, it is complete negligence of the Ace driver to open the door like that, without even bothering to see his ORVM or by peeping his stupid head out. Even if the lorry was not around, the two wheeler would have still ended up on the road because of the Ace driver.
LoneRidder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 19:28   #28373
BHPian

In "defense" of the Ace driver, he might have never used the ORVMs ever, so it is natural for him to walk away "nonchalantly" not even wondering why would he be at any fault.
Old 26th April 2019, 20:02   #28374
Distinguished - BHPian

Come to think of it, apart from simple consideration, my dad taught me to take care when opening the driver's door because it could kill a cyclist or biker.

It is unbelievable the way the guy just walks away from the obviously serious accident.
Old 26th April 2019, 20:25   #28375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is unbelievable the way the guy just walks away from the obviously serious accident.
That guy, the one putting boulders on the highway - these are the absolute scum of society. It's these things that make me wish we had some draconian human rights violating punishments like in Saudi Arabia. I cannot think of anyone who deserves it more.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 21:15   #28376
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
That guy, the one putting boulders on the highway ...
Him too.

But do consider that the "draconian punishments," apart from being uncivilised in themselves, do not actual work as a deterrent. If they did, they wouldn't need to use them so very often.
Old 27th April 2019, 06:01   #28377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Him too.

But do consider that the "draconian punishments," apart from being uncivilised in themselves, do not actual work as a deterrent. If they did, they wouldn't need to use them so very often.
There is a principle in jurisprudence- it is not the severity of the punishment that is the deterrent to the crime. It is its inevitability.

Having stricter laws will only increase corruption.
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2019, 07:12   #28378
BHPian

Quote:
The biker was not at all overtaking. It was simply going on the extreme left lane at a relatively lower speed. Which is quite normal. Its a different matter altogether that the truck was on the right side & made it look like the bike was overtaking from the left. It happens with us as well, isn't it. Why should one go to the right side of the truck when he is riding comfortably on the left lane? Who knows, he might just about to take a left turn to the small alley beside (Which is not there in thr footage)

It is a fault of the ACE driver for opening the door without checking surroundings. You can not open the door like that.

The biker or the rider was plain unfortunate. So as the truck driver if mobs surrounded him for no fault of him.

My two cents

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th April 2019 at 17:26. Reason: Removing YouTube URL from quoted post (repetition). Thanks.
cp171185 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th April 2019, 12:03   #28379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
In the full video (see the FB link below), at the start there was a truck driver who stopped the vehicle ahead and came back to remove the stone. However, the culprit threatened him to go back and mind his own business.
These guys are everywhere, either with intent of theft, reserving parking spaces, or creating a gap in the median on the road. Couple of years back I got into an argument with a couple of road side vendors who were in the habit of reserving their spots with large stones after their sales are done for the day. This meant that in the night there were random large stones lying on the left most lane of 27th Main in HSR Layout. Tweeted out a couple of pics to Bangalore Traffic Police and they took action in a few days. These can damage any car crippling it and are fatal for the two wheeler riders who cannot spot them.

Quote:
The Tata Ace chap should be taught a lesson. He single handedly killed that rider due to his gross negligence. Most mirrors are angled towards the driver for self appreciation or folded to avoid damage. There should also be fines imposed on people driving with their mirrors closed, a common practice in Bangalore CBD.

Last edited by shubhodeepdas@g : 27th April 2019 at 12:05. Reason: Clarity in statement
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2019, 15:24   #28380
Senior - BHPian

3 killed, 11 injured as KSRTC bus rams tempo traveller in Alappuzha.

TT was returning after an engagement ceremony. Sadly, the groom-to-be is one of the deceased.

https://english.mathrubhumi.com/news...ala--1.3753529

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-alappuzhatraveller.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-alappuzhaksrtc-1.jpg

Pic courtesy:
https://localnews.manoramaonline.com...-accident.html
balenoed_ is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks