Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2019, 17:31   #28516
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Miraculous escape for Scooter rider at Greater Noida. He didn't pay heed to the old adage of looking before crossing. Fortunately, the driver was not blamed. Video can be seen in the Times of India article.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/69349952.cms
DaptChatterjee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 20:45   #28517
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post
Miraculous escape for Scooter rider at Greater Noida. He didn't pay heed to the old adage of looking before crossing.
How does a person get to be that stupid?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 22:15   #28518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Vellore is a pain to drive in. Idiotic two wheelers and lorry drivers everywhere coming in the wrong direction. They have a stupid logic of sticking to the wrong side of their respective roads, don’t know why. One could spot an accident almost every couple of days on bridges and stuff. Lorries “parked” smack right in the middle of the divider are a common sight. During day time.

Last edited by Nostalgic3r : 16th May 2019 at 22:40.
Nostalgic3r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 23:39   #28519
BHPian

Quote:
I am afraid that this is the norm rather than exception when it comes to riding or driving in Delhi-NCR.
Stupidity? May be. Or could be overconfidence.

Sample this! A pedestrian was run over while taking a morning walk on Eastern Peripheral Expressway (120km/s speed limit)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.times...w/69299296.cms
Old 17th May 2019, 00:38   #28520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic3r View Post
Vellore is a pain to drive in. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post
I am afraid that this is the norm rather than exception when it comes to riding or driving in Delhi-NCR. ...
I wish I could say that Chennai was any better. It isn't really. What I call the locked-neck thing is the order of the day for two-wheelers, so they can be expected to join a road without looking. But the guy in that video, emerging from the garage like that: really deserves an award.

This stuff is really making me a much less nice person. I actually hope something hurts enough to make him think. But is he capable of thinking beyond "It was the other person's fault, not me?"

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 07:39   #28521
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Saw this XUV which had a head-on collision with a bus coming from opposite direction on the narrow and permanently busy NH17 (now NH66) between Mumbai and Goa. It's a 2 lane National Highway and for every overtake one has to veer into oncoming traffic. Looks like one such overtaking maneuver went horribly wrong for the XUV5OO.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20190511_103829__01.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20190511_103840__01.jpg

PS - Both front airbags deployed. No idea about injuries/fatalities.
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 09:37   #28522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I wish I could say that Chennai was any better. It isn't really. What I call the locked-neck thing is the order of the day for two-wheelers, so they can be expected to join a road without looking.
I could sing paeans about the dangerous lives of two wheeler riders in Chennai.

Or I could publish a 30 minute compilation titled "The Chennai 2 wheelers' Bug Life compilation" on YouTube. I have saved that many clips of stupid acts by 2 wheelers in Chennai. They're here today, getting tomorrow - they're literally living the bug life. They don't have rear view mirrors, no blind spots to worry about, they do have a locked-neck as you said and they all trust in our brakes.

And it's not just you who's getting to be ill-mannered with them. Count me in, for I wish them a quick death without any compunction for they are equally likely to cause others' deaths sooner than later.
locusjag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 09:53   #28523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimalan View Post
Bus driver tries to bully 2 wheeler, ends up killing(read: murdering) them. All Students riding triples with no helmet coupled with panic breaking didn't help either. Two got crushed to death while one is admitted to hospital with heavy injuries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Yes, I am angered by the fact that this bus driver has been caught red-handed, finally, just like many other idiotic private bus drivers in our country.

But what is surprising is a private bus operator having installed a dash cam for whatever reasons known to owner/driver.
Dash cams are very common in trucks and buses, and many are connected to a phones to relay continuously to owners office.

Secondly you will not like it, most here will not like it and I will not like it, but this video is actually going to let the drivers lawyers to get him off with a lighter punishment, and also let the insurance company with a lighter compensation. Without the camera the situation would have been different.

It shows that the mini truck was at extreme left of his lane allowing traffic to pass, and the bus was straddling the (not continuous) white line, with about 2.5M to LHS to pass the mini truck, and about 2 M to RHS for oncoming two wheeler. The people on Scooter who were riding triple panic braked and fell in its path. The hit was not head-on, but it was running over people who had fallen.

Note:

The scooter probably has the very dangerous parallel cable brakes where there is continuous equal distribution, overload on LH wheel made the front wheel skid.

If the law was truly fair, the bus driver/owner should be penalized. The authority that allowed a dividing line on a road with less than 8 m width should be penalized. The two wheeler manufacturer who provide those parallel cable brakes instead of true abs should also be penalized, along with whoever in the RTO allowed the dilution of the law that made ABS compulsory.

Rahul

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th May 2019 at 00:21. Reason: Typos and removing unwanted spacing. Please format your post before submitting.
Rahul Rao is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 11:18   #28524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
The people on Scooter who were riding triple panic braked and fell in its path.

The hit was not Headon, but it was running over people who had fallen.

I totally have the same opinion. I do not think this was a case of bullying or intentional. Though the driver could have waited for a few more seconds for the two wheeler to pass, no one would assume the two wheeler rider would panic and throw himself off that way. He seems like an amateur who lost his nerves at the wrong moment. If he had continued riding in his line, he could have easily passed the bus without issues.
Old 17th May 2019, 18:13   #28525
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this Tigor on the New Airport road. Driver side airbag is out. The passenger seemed to have hit his/her head on the windscreen as the seatbelt wasn't buckled.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20190517_0648361742.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 18th May 2019 at 08:52. Reason: Poor language & grammar. Please type your posts properly
arun1100 is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 18th May 2019, 00:09   #28526
BHPian

The injury to the passenger must be pretty big I guess. Imagine banging the skull so hard that the windshield cracked. The driver should have insisted the other party to wear his seatbelt. I have had tough times convincing my own family & friends to wear seatbelts even if driving slow and within the city.

OT question:
Why are stones placed below crashed cars' wheels? Any logic behind this.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th May 2019 at 17:55. Reason: Punctuation
Old 18th May 2019, 05:45   #28527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic3r View Post
Vellore ... Idiotic two wheelers ...They have a stupid logic of sticking to the wrong side of their respective roads, don’t know why. .....
Quote:
... they can be expected to join a road without looking. But the guy in that video, ....: really deserves an award.

...is he capable of thinking beyond [i]"It was the other person's fault, not me?"
The decisions that people make while driving or riding tend to be involuntary/impulsive be it while braking, steering or most routine actions of a driver or rider. Not much 'thinking' goes into it. For eg. that rider in the who came out without even looking, he would have been doing that as his default behavior whenever he joins any road.

In the absence of proper training or conditioning of the mind to correct and safe practices during the learning stages, people adopt to their own style which though convenient to them may be hazardous to every other road user, be it driving on the wrong side, riders criss crossing dangerously between moving cars, joining/merging into roads without looking directly in front of you expecting you to brake, tailgating, cutting across the vehicle in front, not signaling and every other dangerous behavior.

Its a systemic issue brought about by non-existent training of safe practices and lack of traffic enforcement. The drivers/riders minds need to be conditioned to make the right moves which will translate to safer behavior on our roads.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 18th May 2019 at 05:54.
for_cars1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 09:52   #28528
BHPian

A video that truely captures the essence of Indian bikers.

Even cyclists are completely careless on the road. The other day I saw a cyclist wearing all the cycling gear racing a bus in the middle lane of a 3 lane road (Mumbai's Western Express Highway, is a road after all)
suku_patel_22 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 16:00   #28529
Distinguished - BHPian

Not an accident to post here on this thread but seeing quite a few posts about similar instances I thought I could post this too.

This happened while I was doing Bangalore Pune Aurangabad and precisely while crossing Ahmednagar last Tuesday.

There are regularly placed rumblers to slow motorists. This Nexon driver was either on Phone or distracted for whatever reasons or simply failed to make the right judgement and swerved to avoid colliding with the LCV. All didn't go well and you can see how the fender rips off tearing out like a sheet of paper!

paragsachania is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 16:30   #28530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
All didn't go well and you can see how the fender rips off tearing out like a sheet of paper!
I'd say - well deserved damage and hopefully a well learned lesson!

Similar thing (no damage to that extent) happened with me about 2-yrs back. Driving in DC area. A rental car. Heavy traffic. I looked ahead, around, etc. and slowly changed lane only to realize I've knocked another car towards the front right!

I could have sworn I checked for clear path before moving ahead, but the deed was done. No damage on my rental except few scratches. The car I bumped into had some fluids leaking.

I expressed my apologies and offered to help in any way I could. We exchanged insurance details/DL info etc. Luckily the comprehensive insurance covered it all.

A few days later we bumped into each other again. Both recognized the other and exchanged greetings!

Have been doubly cautious since.
Miyata is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks