Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2019, 15:30   #28576
Team-BHP Support

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you make one mildly strong flick of the steering at speed, you'll lose control of the Harrier. It's that bad at 120 kmph.
And (not) surprisingly, none of the popular media houses reported this as an issue in their reviews or numerous comparison videos
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 15:30   #28577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic3r View Post
Why can’t car manufacturers simply give us back the good old hydraulic steering wheels?
Except for very heavy vehicles the world could (and did) live perfectly happily without power-assisted steering at all! And there would be a small reduction in tyre wear too, as, without it, there is a positive incentive not to move the steering when the car is stationary.

Enthusiastic drivers would have all the feedback they could possibly wish for at the small cost of a little hard work when parking.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd May 2019 at 18:25. Reason: edited
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 15:51   #28578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Except for very heavy vehicles the world could (and did) live perfectly happily without power-assisted steering at all! And there would be a small reduction in tyre wear too, as, without it, there is a positive incentive not to move the steering when the car is stationary.

Enthusiastic drivers would have all the feedback they could possibly wish for at the small cost of a little hard work when parking.
Exactly what my dad told the guys at cars24 when selling off our i10, sometime in the last fortnight. Power steering is only needed during low speed manoeuvres and once you pick up speed, it doesn’t matter. Had a guy hired from a driving company(biggest rip-off we’ve ever had) last year walk off, saying he couldn’t place his royal backside in a car without ps.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd May 2019 at 18:25. Reason: quoted post edited
Nostalgic3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 16:09   #28579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why can’t car manufacturers simply give us back the good old hydraulic steering wheels?

Because all the mainstream reviewers will then complain of a heavy steering. Most buyers will not consider a car with heavy steering - even if it is a big SUV. Only the enthusiasts want a hydraulic steering. A properly calibrated electric one is not bad either. In fact I would prefer one over the hydraulic any day.
Old 23rd May 2019, 16:19   #28580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
A properly calibrated electric one is not bad either. In fact I would prefer one over the hydraulic any day.
True, but few manufacturers do em properly. They’re just as important as abs and airbags.

Last edited by bblost : 23rd May 2019 at 17:00. Reason: fixed tag
Old 23rd May 2019, 17:15   #28581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Because all the mainstream reviewers will then complain of a heavy steering. Most buyers will not consider a car with heavy steering - even if it is a big SUV. Only the enthusiasts want a hydraulic steering. A properly calibrated electric one is not bad either. In fact I would prefer one over the hydraulic any day.
This is so true. I remember even my Dad used to find the electric power steering on our Kizashi, to be too stiff at parking lot speeds when infact it was one of the best in terms of calibration. Aam junta doesn't care because for them driving is not a craft that must be mastered but more like a convenience taken for granted.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 23rd May 2019 at 17:16.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 18:03   #28582
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Harrier does have a hydraulic power steering. Just that it's terribly tuned for highway speeds and is too darn sensitive to input. I liked it in the city though (refer to our review for full details).
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 18:20   #28583
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, so it was only a Micra, but my mum drove a car without power steering until her death at 89. When I inherited it, at first I wondered how she managed, then, after a couple of days I stopped noticing. And I am a muscle-less wimp.

At anything over 5kph, non-ps steering is not heavy: it is the same.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 19:30   #28584
BHPian

Quote:
The Harrier does have a hydraulic power steering. Just that it's terribly tuned for highway speeds and is too darn sensitive to input. I liked it in the city though (refer to our review for full details).
My Duster has the same hydraulic power assisted steering setup. It holds it line damn well on highways and light enough for city as well. I concur with GTO's view that it might just be bad calibration.
Old 23rd May 2019, 20:58   #28585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
And (not) surprisingly, none of the popular media houses reported this as an issue in their reviews or numerous comparison videos
Credit where it's due, ZigWheels did bring it up in their review. I don't follow too many other sources but it's not as biased as sometimes made out.

They report that it's very slow around the center and then suddenly speeds up when you're off center. This change in rack speed is what they complained about.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 01:02   #28586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Harrier does have a hydraulic power steering. Just that it's terribly tuned for highway speeds and is too darn sensitive to input.
plus the large tender coconut sized ORVMs and their odd (higher) placement which creates a dangerous blindspot especially on the driver side. God help if the driver needs to make a right turn at junctions and unable to see huge obstacles on their front right. These are a safety hazard and needs a recall.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 24th May 2019 at 01:04.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 09:41   #28587
BHPian

Tender coconut sized ORVMs !

After so much of negative feedback about the size of the ORVMs and their obstruction, I am even more curious to sit in the driver's seat and experience it.

Don't the manufacturers take the new cars out on the roads for a comprehensive test and check all the minute things before releasing the final version? Or they do it but overlook these kind of issues? Or they feel these are not issues at all??
Old 24th May 2019, 13:26   #28588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Tender coconut sized ORVMs !

After so much of negative feedback about the size of the ORVMs and their obstruction, I am even more curious to sit in the driver's seat and experience it.

Don't the manufacturers take the new cars out on the roads for a comprehensive test and check all the minute things before releasing the final version? Or they do it but overlook these kind of issues? Or they feel these are not issues at all??
I don't want to ruffle any feathers and I'm just speculating, but I think in their hurry to dispatch and deliver cars Tata doesn't do much in the name of quality checking once the car has been assembled. You get your car literally fresh off the line
Old 24th May 2019, 13:38   #28589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
I don't want to ruffle any feathers and I'm just speculating, but I think in their hurry to dispatch and deliver cars Tata doesn't do much in the name of quality checking once the car has been assembled. You get your car literally fresh off the line
If my understanding is right, cars are selected at random from batches and tested for quality. I am not sure on the checks that are carried out and i dont think driving the car is in that list. And, things such as steering wheel response has to come as a feedback from market. Best that TATA can do is to recall the cars and fix it at the earliest.
Old 24th May 2019, 14:43   #28590
Senior - BHPian

Not a crash video, but taken about 5-10 seconds post the crash and witnessed typical mentality to become a ring-side spectator and block the entire traffic behind and create a bigger spectacle.

Truck Driver was fine and you can see him climb out (blurry image at 0:15 sec).

Last edited by svsantosh : 24th May 2019 at 14:44.
svsantosh is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks