Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2019, 12:56   #29326
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Saw one of those self-drive cars (Zoom?) that had crashed into the pavement on the Freedom Park road early morning today. It appeared to be a Sparkling Gold shade car from a slightly older version.

The exact location of the spot is right after the fire station and just before the freedom park. I am pretty sure there were injuries, but hope there are no casualties.

It looked like the driver either negotiated the curve badly or lost complete control of the car. Could not take any pic as I was in a cab who was doing some good speeds.
Old 18th August 2019, 18:35   #29327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Sharing some more photos of the incident:
Attachment 1906152
The accident between the Jaguar and the Mercedes resulted in the right ear of the driver of the Mercedes almost being ripped off.

Would that be because of the deployment of the window curtain air bags?

Some pictures from that accident from Telegraph Kolkata.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture-2.jpg

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th August 2019 at 08:03. Reason: Spacing
Maveryq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 18:39   #29328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maveryq View Post
The accident between the Jaguar and the Mercedes resulted in the right ear of the driver of the Mercedes almost being ripped off. Would that be because of the deployment of the window curtain air bags?
Probably. If the head was too close to the pillar from where the airbags popped out. Since they have quite some force in their inflation it could cause such injuries. But as far as the E class goes, the seat back usually is ahead of the B pillar in the normal driving position. Not sure if it was pushed all the way back or something.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 08:53   #29329
BHPian

https://indianexpress.com/article/de...e-way-5915570/
Ford endeavour crushed in to a pancake. When do we start learning that drink and drive is a fatal mix?(Pic courtesy Express photographer Gajendra Yadav)
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident1200.jpg  

Last edited by Hellzboy : 19th August 2019 at 09:07. Reason: Photograph credit
Hellzboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 09:19   #29330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellzboy View Post
Ford endeavour crushed in to a pancake. When do we start learning that drink and drive is a fatal mix?(Pic courtesy Express photographer Gajendra Yadav)
The new report doesn't say DUI being the reason for the accident. Is it reported somewhere else? If yes, then please share the link else it will be wrong to make such assumptions.

I feel this is a classic case of overloading and losing control due to lack of understanding of CG of SUV type vehicle. U-turn at high speed in an SUV is surely calling for trouble.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 09:23   #29331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

https://indianexpress.com/article/de...e-way-5915570/When do we start learning that drink and drive is a fatal mix?(Pic courtesy Express photographer Gajendra Yadav)
Hey Hellzboy, although I agree to the fact that almost always the real (only) cause to an accident is the person behind the wheel, I am not too sure if this was such a case.

At least from the primal report, it is no very clear if the driver was under influence. Considering it was a bran new car, the driver could have lost control during that U-turn. The report always states that the medical examination is still under way.

Please correct me if I am wrong here.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 09:40   #29332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
The new report doesn't say DUI being the reason for the accident. Is it reported somewhere else? If yes, then please share the link else it will be wrong to make such assumptions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey Hellzboy, although I agree to the fact that almost always the real (only) cause to an accident is the person behind the wheel, I am not too sure if this was such a case.
Regret my omission. Actually, I was reading HT hardcopy but on the phone had the Indian express article open which actually doesn't mention drunken driving. The HT article did but that's still initial suspicion and under investigation. Here's that link http://paper.hindustantimes.com/epap...e63a79e/0/true
Hellzboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 11:06   #29333
Senior - BHPian

7 injured as car ploughs into pedestrians in Bengaluru's HSR Layout:

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le29128848.ece

Quote:
A car ploughed into pedestrians when the driver lost control of the wheel and drove onto a pavement at HSR Layout on Sunday afternoon. There were no fatalities, but seven pedestrians were injured, said the police. The accident occurred in front of a hotel on 14th Cross, 7th Phase, at around 3 p.m.

The driver, identified as Rajendra, worked for a travel agency, and was allegedly inebriated. “He lost control and drove into the people outside the hotel. The front portion of the hotel was also damaged,” said a senior police officer.
Passers-by helped shift the injured to a hospital in the area, and alerted the police. They pulled out Rajendra from the car and thrashed him before handing him over to the police.
“We arrested Rajendra, who has been booked for driving under the influence of alcohol and also for rash and dangerous driving,” said a police officer.
BenjiRoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 12:06   #29334
BHPian

Narrow roads, tight turns, possibly over speeding.
ask_017 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 12:11   #29335
Senior - BHPian

Did the car turn a bit onto the oncoming bus? That might have made the bus driver swerve a bit and well ride himself into the ditch.

And that sign on the road speaks volumes.
deathwalkr is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 12:16   #29336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_017 View Post
Narrow roads, tight turns, possibly over speeding.
I only see two inexperienced drivers, The white car driver who not only moves to the middle of the road without leaving space for the bus, but also stops suddenly and the bus driver too who steers further instead of straightening out after lightly glancing the car.

See the dark car behind which moves decently to the middle of his own lane in the turn.

Rahul

Last edited by suhaas307 : 25th August 2019 at 21:02. Reason: Spacing
Old 19th August 2019, 12:35   #29337
BHPian

Quote:
Ford endeavour crushed in to a pancake. When do we start learning that drink and drive is a fatal mix?
He drove too fast into the curve IMO. Both the exits at Zero point have sharp curves. These exits are at a good height and descend towards the Noida-Greater Noida Expressway.

Going by the reports it looks like the SUV took the exit towards Pari Chowk, marked in red.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-picsart_081912.26.38.png
Old 19th August 2019, 13:31   #29338
Team-BHP Support

While in Kerala couple of weeks back…

I was at Ernakulam, driving from Tripunithura to Edapally in a (previous gen) Swift. On one slow turn, heard a big thud noise from behind. Stopped the car and looked behind – saw a guy (with helmet) trying to lift up his scooter, with one woman helping him and another woman getting up from the road. 3 on a scooter and apparently he was riding very carefully but when joined to the main road something went wrong with the scooter brakes it seems!

I asked him why he need a helmet when he is risking his life and two other women by riding three on a scooter. And soon drove off as the traffic was slowly piling up behind.

Initial look was not good, but when I got back to Thrissur showed this at a friendly neighborhood garage; the guy there did a magic wipe and it was cleaned up mostly, except for a paint chip.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20190819_155825.jpg
vb-saan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 13:57   #29339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
While in Kerala couple of weeks back…

Attachment 1906552
Your rear tyres are looking pretty worn out man, might want to give it a look, especially when driving in rains.
toiingg is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 09:45   #29340
BHPian

Yesterday while waiting outside our factory a truck brushed into my car and without waiting, went ahead into another factory to unload the goods. I was inside the car and it felt like a big crash but nothing untoward had happened only a dent on rear fender, broken taillight and bumper.

I walked upto the driver and asked if he was going to catch a flight and he had the audacity to tell on roads it happens.

If it would have been 3 years back he would have been black and blue but years of meditation helped me in keeping my calm and I called my father, we went inside the factory in which he was unloading the goods and dad told the owner to not give the receiving to him and call the truck owner.

Meanwhile police came tried to intimidate me maybe because they receive a monthly cut, trying to scare me by using laws against me but as soon as I told 4 magical words (Vakil ki gaadi hai, jyada rishtedaari nibhaane ki zaroorat nahi) he backed off.

We went in the office in factory and when the truck driver did not receive the signatures he came pleading to us and we told him to call his owner so after half an hour the owner came and paid for the damage and promised he will take action against the driver as this was not the first time he had hit into a stationary car but it was the first time the owner was made aware of.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20190820_082018.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20190820_094359.jpg

Last edited by revvharder : 20th August 2019 at 09:48.
revvharder is offline   (23) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks