Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2019, 07:14   #29251
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
The lesson learn't is to go easy on the accelerator even if the vehicle ahead moves ahead faster and maintain sufficient distance so that if the driver ahead brakes suddenly, I can stop gracefully even accounting for the vehicle behind who may not me maintaining sufficient distance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Keep distance: don't need luck!
But in India where lane discipline is not practiced and where lanes itself are not present, what can we do. If one keeps distance from the car in front, then another will jump into that gap. And by doing so you will cover 1 km in 1 hr.
india008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 08:33   #29252
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why this bike rider could not stop on time. Was he distracted or did his brakes fail or did something else happen?

Old 11th August 2019, 09:14   #29253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I wonder why this bike rider could not stop on time. Was he distracted or did his brakes fail or did something else happen?
Maybe he was a beginner and the pillion rider was teaching him.

Last edited by india008 : 11th August 2019 at 09:16. Reason: correction: May be to Maybe
india008 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 11:08   #29254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by india008 View Post
But in India where lane discipline is not practiced
Happened to me last week. When I was going back home from office last week, I was in bumper to bumper traffic. One idiot biker entered the space in front of me suddenly prompting me to brake suddenly. One Xylo cab guy hit me after a second which means he had time to respond damaging my rear bumper. I let him go as he was pleading me.
Old 11th August 2019, 12:38   #29255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I wonder why this bike rider could not stop on time.
I once saw an accident where a bike rider was driving quite aggressively, cut in front of vehicles where there was a turn and then drove straight on to a wall.
Turns out he was feeling very faint, and didn't have energy to react; he didn't have breakfast and it was past noon time. Atleast that's what he was telling after he was given a soda. Somehow, the lucky guy didn't get major injuries and seemed fine afterwards, few bruises and no broken bones even though he was not wearing a helmet.
Old 11th August 2019, 14:13   #29256
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But in India where lane discipline is not practiced and where lanes itself are not present, what can we do. If one keeps distance from the car in front, then another will jump into that gap. And by doing so you will cover 1 km in 1 hr.
It is always possible to keep some extra space. And yes, when others fill it, again drop back from them. No, it does not reduce speed to 1km/hr! When traffic is that heavy, it won't make much difference at all.

When the traffic is moving slowly it is even more difficult, and everyone thinks it's fine to be within pushing distance of the car in front. It isn't.

I have had a couple of accidents caused by my own stupidity. So far, I haven't run into the back of the car in front. so far! all it takes is a moment's lack of attention.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 15:10   #29257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragntailonfire View Post
I get the feeling that if the bus driver had swerved to his left, probably 2 deaths could've been avoided. The youth was thrown out because of the swerve to the right and the second motorist could've been saved as well.
Expecting too many calculations and decisions in split-second... ? It could be a natural reaction to avoid running over the bike - the one that was the reason for this accident. It would be very difficult to calculate the things and avoid consequences of those in an accident scene. It might be easy to take a decision when the vehicle in under control and not involved in a accident just a second ago.

Last edited by trave11er : 11th August 2019 at 15:13.
trave11er is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 15:26   #29258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That situation calls for what I name stopping distance for two. When tailgated, I always drop back from the car in front.
I too maintain sufficient gap between the car ahead and mine, so that I can give a warning for a couple of seconds by lightly touching the brake, sufficient to illuminate the brake lights, before actually braking. This is especially important when riding the bike. Even a light tap by a car behind us can give a whiplash injury, even if we don't fall.
Gansan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 16:41   #29259
BHPian

Quote:
Was lucky not to kiss the back of Ritz
I had a similar experience. I had just started working and dad had bought me a Hero Splendor to commute to work. On this particular day on the way to work near Lal Bagh circle, I was riding at about 35 - 40.kms and cruising in the speed of the traffic when suddenly the car before me braked to avoid hitting a cow. I braked hard but the momentum carried me forward and I hit the car. I and the bike went vertical against the car and crashed against the car's boot. The car owner apologized and I did too. I felt fine and told him I can go on my own from here and left for work. When I reached the office i realized that I was unable to use my right foot as I had badly sprained it.

I learned the precious lesson of maintaining distance that day.

Last edited by SDP : 11th August 2019 at 18:36. Reason: Video link removed from quoted post
Satishtv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 17:49   #29260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trave11er View Post
Expecting too many calculations and decisions in split-second... ?
Maybe I should've said it clearer, I didn't expect the driver to do evasive maneuvering after the first collision. The bus was overtaking 2 bikes before and was a bit on the right side of the road already, and then the bike that caused the accident, cut in front of the bus and then stopped dead in the middle just before impact. Maybe the bus driver expected the bike to continue and probably he thought he will swing around the guy and continue. Anyway, the bus was already moving towards the right when it hits the bike head on and then continued more to the right.

So, when I meant that the driver should've swerved to the left, is just before hitting the bike and not after. The bus avoiding hitting the first bike is almost impossible from how it transpires in the video, as we can't expect nimbleness of a car from a bus. There are many videos where driver has swung to the left in order to avoid obstacles in the path, though with varying degrees of success, I must admit.

All being said, this is just armchair analysis; I can only guess about the mentality of the driver in those circumstances. My intention is to learn from such incidents so that I can hope to avoid them, and, god forbid, if ever faced with them, have the strength and ability to be able to react positively.
dragntailonfire is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 20:37   #29261
Distinguished - BHPian

The Yamuna Expresssway is becoming a battle ground for many to show one's might and to prove that "might is right" in respect of such traffic users. Almost every other day we hear about a ghastly accident. Two days ago, the police detected a Mercedes speeding at 213 kmph.

A ghastly accident has again taken place today, wherein the car caught fire after hitting a road divider. The driver was charred to death while two other passengers could escape from the burning car.

https://www.news18.com/news/india/ma...y-2266499.html
Old 11th August 2019, 20:57   #29262
BHPian

When you try and copy your elder sibling but end up getting a 'boo-boo' instead. Bolero bhai, you big, fat meanie!

Last edited by jailbird_fynix : 11th August 2019 at 21:01.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 06:18   #29263

Caught this live on my dash cam.

There was an accident when a cow was hit by an auto richshaw on the opposite side of the ORR Bengaluru. This happened around babusapalya where the white topping is still in progress. Couldn't stop to enquire about the condition of anyone in rickshaw but the cow seemed unhurt despite taking a tumble.
Old 12th August 2019, 13:39   #29264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
...to go easy on the accelerator even if the vehicle ahead moves ahead faster and maintain sufficient distance so that if the driver ahead brakes suddenly, I can stop gracefully even accounting for the vehicle behind who may not me maintaining sufficient distance.
As an additional measure, one should look ahead of the vehicle in front and be mindful of things that could cause the driver to brake/stop. This works for small vehicles like cars as it's easy to see through the rear and front windshields. For taller vehicles and for those with dark tints or curtains, keeping a safe distance and staying alert is the key
silversteed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 14:05   #29265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
As an additional measure, one should look ahead of the vehicle in front and be mindful of things that could cause the driver to brake/stop. This works for small vehicles like cars as it's easy to see through the rear and front windshields. For taller vehicles and for those with dark tints or curtains, keeping a safe distance and staying alert is the key
Thanks for bringing this up

I use an imported memory-foam cushion on which I sit on my already high TUV 300's driving seat; as a result, I find myself enjoying a line of sight that's almost equal to Force Traveler drivers' line of sight from up there. I could swear upon the merits in predicting the actions of the shorter vehicles ahead. And as you've said, if it's a bigger vehicle in front, I just transform into the slowest driver on the road until such time as I can peek in front of the bigger vehicle before making my move. It has kept me and my family safe for so long. Thanks for spreading the word; I've not seen anyone mentioning this particular tip on this forum in all these years. And I certainly don't see anyone trying it on the road either.
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks