Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2019, 13:35   #29206
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Most of my driving in bad road conditions, or factory sites etc is done with engine in first or second at idle.
If you are taking about diesel vehicle movement under gear without power input, I get what you are talking, I do that too when am driving within the apartment compound in first gear with no acceleration. But that requires a couple of things, first the car should not stall due to rapid clutch release which I find a bit difficult in this scenario. And once it gets going, it will move until there is nothing that stops it. But again that movement is not what I am pointing to.

Once the car hits an obstacle, in this case the wall, it will stall and should switch off IMHO. I am pointing out the end portions of the video where the car stops after hitting the wall and yet the rear wheel still spins for a few seconds. A stall is typically abrupt not gradual. Hence my curiosity on where the power is coming from.

EDIT - Perhaps there is not enough traction between the tire and the surface to grip the tire enough to stall the engine. That might explain it.

Last edited by SR-71 : 7th August 2019 at 13:43.
Old 7th August 2019, 13:41   #29207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
A stall is typically abrupt not gradual. Hence my curiosity on where the power is coming from.
If this Bolero had few sacks of cement in the boot and if the surface was asphalted, it may have stalled.

Guess this man wanted to prove that he used the same cement sacks to construct that compound wall.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 13:50   #29208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
If this Bolero had few sacks of cement in the boot and if the surface was asphalted, it may have stalled.
Correct, I just had an EDIT update to the previous post on that. To stall the engine, you would need enough counter traction. Typically a well threaded tire on a paved surface with enough load should provide that. This is dirt road and perhaps that tire was as bald as his brain
SR-71 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 15:21   #29209
BHPian

Four of a family died in an accident at Dharmapuri. 4 passengers in amaze died while 4 in VW Vento survived in head on collision.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ventoamaze.jpg

https://kriminalis.net/2019/08/04/fo...LvkpYost27H8sU
arungeorge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 15:33   #29210
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the occupants of the Vento were wearing seat belts and the Amaze occupants were unbelted going by the Amaze's windshield impact in the pic.
for_cars1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 16:45   #29211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
Now that was one expensive Tik Tok video.
Such stunts, much wow.
All he had to do was turn the ignition off using the key when he realized the blunder. But I guess it wouldn't have gone viral if this didn't happen. Things people do for views
Funny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 17:26   #29212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
Accident caused by a drunk pedestrian

https://www.manoramaonline.com/news/...-accident.html
The bike rider paid the price for being engrossed in watching the fun rather than being cautious on road. He must have stopped well before the drunkard and let the bus pass, rather than push the bus off its lane.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 23:31   #29213
BHPian

Quote:

Such a narrow escape! This is a typical scenario that is seen on our roads. There will be some obstacle on the side of the road. The vehicle following that particular lane will do evasive maneuvers onto the neighbouring lane without checking the traffic behind.

Here the obstacle being in the shape of drunken antics of the pedestrian, the bike rider tries to avoid him without checking his rear or sides. He is completely unaware of the overtaking bus besides him. He should thank his lucky stars for that escape. It could've end so differently for them.

The drunk sobered up considerably after this incident anyhow. See how acutely he is studying the scenes unraveling in front of him as a detached observer, even though he is the instigator.
dragntailonfire is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 10:06   #29214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragntailonfire View Post
Such a narrow escape! This is a typical scenario that is seen on our roads. There will be some obstacle on the side of the road. The vehicle following that particular lane will do evasive maneuvers onto the neighbouring lane without checking the traffic behind.

Here the obstacle being in the shape of drunken antics of the pedestrian, the bike rider tries to avoid him without checking his rear or sides. He is completely unaware of the overtaking bus besides him. He should thank his lucky stars for that escape. It could've end so differently for them.

The drunk sobered up considerably after this incident anyhow. See how acutely he is studying the scenes unraveling in front of him as a detached observer, even though he is the instigator.
Very true.. The person on the bike did not even look into his mirrors before moving to his right. Saw something in his path and dived right.
Old 8th August 2019, 11:23   #29215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thankyou for sharing. This is classic of the deeply ingrained assine and arrogant attitude amongst most two wheeler riders. They ride on the assumption that they are free to do anything and it is for the others, be it pedestrians or larger vehicles to watch out and maneouvre. In my opinion a false sense of subtle undercurrent machismo lies behind this. You see it in the way they routinely drive on the wrong side, or jump signals, or swerve without either warning or looking.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 11:28   #29216
BHPian

Not many are aware that we need to walk facing the traffic direction so that we'll have some chances to escape from such accidents.
GladRagu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 11:38   #29217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Thankyou for sharing. This is classic of the deeply ingrained assine and arrogant attitude amongst most two wheeler riders. They ride on the assumption that they are free to do anything and it is for the others, be it pedestrians or larger vehicles to watch out and maneouvre. In my opinion a false sense of subtle undercurrent machismo lies behind this. You see it in the way they routinely drive on the wrong side, or jump signals, or swerve without either warning or looking.
I feel that there is this sense of over entitilement finding its origin in option of exercising vicitim card in case of a mishap among 2 wheelers users here in our country.

They blatantly flout the traffic rules, have a disregard for their and other's safety.
BANDHAV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 11:53   #29218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
I feel that there is this sense of over entitilement finding its origin in option of exercising vicitim card in case of a mishap among 2 wheelers users here in our country.

They blatantly flout the traffic rules, have a disregard for their and other's safety.
I feel that the same behavior is exhibited by almost every type of vehicle and pedestrians on Indian roads.

Pedestrians who do not care to look anywhere before crossing even highways, two wheelers, autos and cars who drive like crazy, and buses and trucks which try to bully others.

The common thread binding the pedestrians and smaller vehicles is that they behave like it is the responsibility of others to make sure that they reach home in one piece. The heavier vehicle drivers on the other hand, think that they can do almost anything, and anyone who wants to be safe should move out of their way.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 12:28   #29219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
pedestrians on Indian roads.

Pedestrians who do not care to look anywhere before crossing even highways.
The new breed of Jaywalkers with eyes on phone and ears plugged with earphones is the most dangerous kind. I recenly encountered one during my drive to Jhunjhunu, Rajasthan. The guy must be playing some kind of game on phone while crossing the highway. The honking was of no use, he noticed my car when I must be in his peripheral vision. The look of disgust he threw at me for distrubing his session flabbergasted me. I so wanted to take a U-turn and run him over but then better sense prevailed.
BANDHAV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 12:38   #29220
Senior - BHPian

This should qualify for 2 threads- this thread and the 'bad drivers' thread.
Two moron teenagers on a scooter, riding helmetless, suddenly swerves to the left after spotting a policeman, nearly misses my car and eventually ends up being hit by another car coming besides mine.

(please Look towards the end of the video)
sandsun7 is offline   (29) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks