Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2019, 09:12   #29101
BANNED

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
A safe car should be able to bear its own weight (plus a generous additional margin) while on its roof without cabin intrusion. See for instance the car below - this is normal behaviour.
Maruti is going to achieve this feat by their ‘cutting edges’ technology. Hope they apply the ‘cutting body panel’ technology to the chassis also and achieve this tremendous milestone. Jokes aside, let’s hope the vehicles achieve better safety once the crash safety norms are implemented.
pavi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 10:22   #29102
Senior - BHPian

Another accident captured in cctv.
This happened at Vivek Vihar. A Honda City rammed into an electric pole. There were 2 casualties.

https://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/2-ki...ome-topstories
Quote:

Two students were killed after the sedan in which they were travelling in hit an electric pole in high speed in east Delhi's Vivek Vihar on Sunday morning, the police said. Two of their friends who were in the car were injured.
The force of the impact was such that the front portion of the Honda City car was completely pushed in and the electric pole was uprooted.

In visuals, the iron fence that was installed on the road divider was also seen mangled.

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 29th July 2019 at 10:24.
BenjiRoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 11:37   #29103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post
Most drivers do not know that they should steer the car by holding the bottom half of the steering wheel and not the top half. By holding the bottom half, the airbag deployment will not hurt your hands. But, if you hold the top half of the steering wheel, when the air bag deploys, your hands will come off the steering wheel and hit your head with great force.
My British-driving-school (and test-passing) instruction dogma said the wheel should be held at ten-to-two or three-fifteen positions.
Old 29th July 2019, 11:43   #29104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My British-driving-school (and test-passing) instruction dogma said the wheel should be held at ten-to-two or three-fifteen positions.
With the airbag being housed at centre of the steering wheel, it is best not to have the arms cover the centre of the wheel. So, the earlier suggested 10-2 position isn't the best now. 9-3 or lower would ensure that arms do not get in the way when the airbag is deployed.

Could you also let know what the 3-15 position is?
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 12:33   #29105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Another accident captured in cctv.
This happened at Vivek Vihar. A Honda City rammed into an electric pole. There were 2 casualties.
Quoting from the news link; Cause and Summary of incident in brief :

Quote:
The passengers have been identified as Keshav, 21, a resident of Kamla Nagar; Prabhjot Singh, 18, from Malka Ganj; Arshpreet, 19, from Haryana's Sirsa, and Rubal, 20. Lakhshye who was at the wheel escaped major injury due to the airbag.

It was Arshpreet's birthday celebration on Saturday night. All the friends first assembled at his flat and had a party where they consumed liquor heavily the entire night,"

Later they all went for a joyride in Lakhshye's car at 5 a.m. They also consumed liquor inside the car before it hit the divider, electric pole and signboards and turned turtle.
I am just relieved that these guys didn't kill/ injure any other road user and only got what they deserved.
AutoNoob is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 13:31   #29106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post

Could you also let know what the 3-15 position is?

I guess I should have said 9.15 or 2.45.

3.15 would mean putting both hands together on the right of the wheel: I messed up!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 13:43   #29107
Senior - BHPian

I seriously feel in our country the driving limit age should be minimum 25 years old. 18 isn't suitable for our country as our youth just isnt equipped to deal with the consequences of drunk driving and over speeding. By 25 they would gain some maturity to understand the repercussions of their actions.

I blame parents too who provide such vehicles to their children at a young age without educating them properly.

Also, if you are drinking at a flat and getting smashed the logical thing is to sleep it of there and then. Who in their moronic mind decides it's a good idea for a joy ride after that. It's sad to see so many lives being destroyed for such idiocracy.
harry10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 13:50   #29108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I seriously feel in our country the driving limit age should be minimum 25 years old. 18 isn't suitable for our country as our youth just isnt equipped to deal with the consequences of drunk driving and over speeding. By 25 they would gain some maturity to understand the repercussions of their actions.

I blame parents too who provide such vehicles to their children at a young age without educating them properly.

Also, if you are drinking at a flat and getting smashed the logical thing is to sleep it of there and then. Who in their moronic mind decides it's a good idea for a joy ride after that. It's sad to see so many lives being destroyed for such idiocracy.
I see so many so called uber drivers and even a lot of senior citizens having absolutely no idea what to do while driving or how to drive in a proper manner. I dont think its a matter of age. People dont even know the basic traffic rules even when theyve crossed their 50s. In fact i see more mature people driving like they own the road than the younger people.

Theres absolutely zero traffic sense and zero driving knowledge amongst people and the authorities keep handing out driving licences.

Last edited by aparth : 29th July 2019 at 13:52.
aparth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 14:35   #29109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
I dont think its a matter of age.
Agreed. It was just last month when I saw 3 middle-aged guys enjoying alcohol in their Creta, which was parallel to our car, when I was waiting at a signal in West Delhi. It is very normal to spot youngsters, middle-aged folks enjoying alcohol in their cars with food at road side restaurants. These guys are so lazy (or high) to even dump the left overs in the trash can, simply roll down the windows and throw it on the road.
sinharishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 17:52   #29110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
... I dont think its a matter of age. People dont even know the basic traffic rules even when theyve crossed their 50s. In fact i see more mature people driving like they own the road than the younger people. ...
You are right, as is sinharishi in the previous post. However, take all that and add the various factors of youth, and the danger is increased.

In principle, I'd agree to raising the age for driving. In practice, it would probably make matters worse by increasing the number of unlicensed drivers on the roads. We already regularly see children driving bikes.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 18:18   #29111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In principle, I'd agree to raising the age for driving. In practice, it would probably make matters worse by increasing the number of unlicensed drivers on the roads. We already regularly see children driving bikes.
Kids driving Honda Dio are a mess on Chennai roads. I have seen tons of Harley Davidson and other riders riding their bikes smoothly but also seen tons of Honda Dio riders (probably in their Teens) riding their scooters in a zig zag fashion. They suddenly move from the left to the right side of the road and in between vehicles. Whenever I see them in my IRVM, I would let them pass.

Once when I was traveling in our Vento to Vandalur Zoo, few kids in their Honda Dio were teasing me for a race. These kids are a menace to the society, I do not know why their parents give them a scooter?. Irresponsible parents to blame?
TorqueKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 21:19   #29112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Quoting from the news link; Cause and Summary of incident in brief :

I am just relieved that these guys didn't kill/ injure any other road user and only got what they deserved.
@AutoNoob : If, what is mentioned in your post is true, I don't think we should have sympathy to the drivers, and really I feel sorry for their parents and loved ones. While the incident hurts and what comforts me is no innocent people of the road got injured or killed.
manjubp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 21:58   #29113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Quoting from the news link; Cause and Summary of incident in brief. I am just relieved that these guys didn't kill/ injure any other road user and only got what they deserved.
I'm sure you're aware that in Delhi, many cases of drinking start in the late teens as a "mardangi wali baat" (matter of manliness) and there is the constant harping and teasing of who can hold more alcohol in without being bothered.. this idiotic thing is the single most reason for such incidents happening, alcohol wins every time.. you can drink it and drive a car and crash it to smithereens, you can be the best tightrope walker on earth and yet with a bit of alcohol you'll be falling down at any second.

Drinking gives me no pleasure whatsoever, I'm glad I never took it up after one can of beer a decade ago. If I had been addicted to that, who knows I may have done some very stupid things as well. I've known people who drank and rode/drove off nonchalantly.. if they keep it up their turn will come one day.
Old 29th July 2019, 22:01   #29114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueKnight View Post
Kids driving Honda Dio are a mess on Chennai roads.
Pune is none different. One of the many instances from Pune.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20180711_165938.jpg
saurabh2711 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 23:54   #29115
BHPian

This biker teaches us that the first thing to do after a horrible accident is to look for your missing footwear.

jailbird_fynix is offline   (25) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks