Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2019, 00:38   #29851
BHPian

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1574276695.103424.jpg
415 deaths per day at the rate of 15 per hour, in India, from automobile accidents.
This is more than death caused by many dreaded diseases. And these are preventable.
The enormity of this problem is just mind boggling!
sparameswaran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 13:45   #29852
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

Another one - lady crossing the road
And not to mention, that bus overtaking around the same time!
If you had hit the lady, you would have been blamed for speeding.
If the bus had hit the lady, the bus would have been blamed for overtaking rashly.
If all three of you had crashed, the bus would still have been blamed.
In all 3 scenarios the lady would have been grieviously injured or dead and would have claimed she had right of way.
BenjiRoss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 13:54   #29853
Senior - BHPian

Assam: Speeding car rams into parked truck on NH 15, 8 killed

Quote:
In a tragic road mishap, eight persons of a marriage party died on the spot after the car they were travelling in rammed into a stationary truck beside National Highway 15 at Gelabil area of Assam’s Udalguri district on Tuesday night.

As per sources, the tragedy happened when the youths hailing from Sonitpur district were returning home after attending a friend’s wedding at Baihata Chariali in Udalguri district.

The Maruti Ertiga bearing registration number AS-12-V-9333 in which they were travelling lost control and rammed into a parked truck on NH 15 in Gelabil locality of Udalguri, said sources.
Old 21st November 2019, 15:11   #29854
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just one look into his pocket and that's all it takes for him to hit the SUV which swerved to the left for some reason.

Captured today morning by my dashcam.

Another one - lady crossing the road, with the help of ABS in my car.
Don't know why bikers always like to sniff the rear of vehicles in front. A slight swerve or slowing in speed, and they are down.

So much of a bother, that I have abandoned the practice of slowing down or stopping to give way for vehicles coming from side roads or crossing pedestrians. The moment I stop and signal the other car or pedestrian to cross, the rear sniffing bikers would flow around me and keep going, practically making my act of slowing/stopping useless, or worse dangerous for the pedestrian or traffic.
It's like they set speed at 30-50km/h and cruise on rails. Red light, footpaths, wrong way. None stops them, all while chatting with the pillion, or attending calls, or like the above video peering into their own pockets.

And the crossing ammachis from markets, enough said.

Last edited by DicKy : 21st November 2019 at 15:15.
DicKy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 15:59   #29855
BHPian

Quote:
Another one - lady crossing the road, with the help of ABS in my car.
What was speed you were doing at this time? I would not blame lady and you either but blame the state of infrastructure. We do not know concept of road crossings. Even if we have zebra strips then we do not know purpose of it by both Jay walkers and drivers. In this case, both zebra crossing for humans and speed limit signage for drivers are missing.

With this state of infrastructure and average education and common sense of human beings walking/driving on the road, the situation warrants speed below 50 kmph if the road goes through villages area. In fact it is world wide standard of 50 kmph. Considering this situation in India, outside world would put 30-40 kmph on this road. Even developed world has zebra crossings and class infrastructure, there are lot of jaywalkers but little bit good at decisions and response and judgement.

Considering awareness level, response time, mind ability of road walkers; Car owners should learn to treat them to be equal to animal on the road. Animal as in, the flesh blob which does not have ability of right decision,judgement,response. You know, if the Government is sleeping and not coming up with sensible road signs, crossings, legal framework and not emphasizing on education and awareness; the responsibility comes on us; drive a little bit slow in these areas so to avoid landing in a problem by hitting jaywalker.

I believe your speed is around 50 kmph which is justifiable. If higher than this, then we should learn that what kind of co-users of road we are dealing.
It is better to drive in controllable speed limits than landing in a problem.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 21st November 2019 at 16:05.
sushantr5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 19:14   #29856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
And not to mention, that bus overtaking around the same time!
If you had hit the lady, you would have been blamed for speeding.
If the bus had hit the lady, the bus would have been blamed for overtaking rashly.
If all three of you had crashed, the bus would still have been blamed.
In all 3 scenarios the lady would have been grieviously injured or dead and would have claimed she had right of way.
I know. This is exactly the reason why I have a dashcam installed. It has already helped me in couple of situations where I could just put an abrupt end to unnecessary arguments (Who's at fault) after the incidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
What was speed you were doing at this time?
I believe your speed is around 50 kmph which is justifiable. If higher than this, then we should learn that what kind of co-users of road we are dealing.
I was accelerating from a junction and I think it was above 50kmph when I slammed the brake pedal. It was probably between 55 - 60 kmph.

These 'users' of the road doesn't anticipate acceleration. They think that cars are still slow moving metal structures like the old HM Ambassador.

This is the case with many two wheeler users as well. When you're the first one at a signal with your car waiting for the green light, there will be at least two bikers who will come and occupy the space in front of you thinking that they can out-accelerate the slower car, but in actuality, it can quite be the opposite case if I really want my car to do a quick sprint.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 22:35   #29857
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... This is the case with many two wheeler users as well. When you're the first one at a signal with your car waiting for the green light, there will be at least two bikers who will come and occupy the space in front of you thinking that they can out-accelerate the slower car, but in actuality, it can quite be the opposite case if I really want my car to do a quick sprint.
They will have been spurred by their impatience to squeeze and push their way through the waiting to get there. And what happens when the lights turn green?

1. They don't notice.

2. They realise the engine stopped.

3. They eventually get the engine started.

4. They eventually get on and get out of your way.

No apology for my brazen stereotyping here!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 11:27   #29858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladRagu View Post
People will be in mile long queue on the road yet they won't give space for one vehicle from the opposite lane to pass through them to join the side road they are blocking, no amount of horn, appeal will work and they'll just lay in front us like adumb
This is exactly what I think of, whenever we are stuck in traffic. I mostly give way to others from the opposite lane when the vehicles in our lane are extremely slow moving, unless someone honks from behind. And if someone blocks my way like that, I just keep on honking, use pass lights continuously and try to block his way too.
Tom Sooraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 14:35   #29859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When you're the first one at a signal with your car waiting for the green light, there will be at least two bikers who will come and occupy the space in front of you
Have never failed to notice this act.
They ride at around 30 kmph on the white lane dividing line, making sure the car has to be on the opposite lane in full to overtake them. After much effort you overtake, and wait at the signal, they come through your left (most of the time folding down your left ovrm as if its some unwanted item on a car) and then do the trick clevermax detailed above.

Happens each and every time!
sarathlal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 14:22   #29860
Senior - BHPian

An overtaking move gone wrong. I'm not sure of the location and the outcome of passengers.

Some observations and queries:
1. I don't know why the ?Brezza went so wide to overtake the car. It almost went off the other edge of the road!
2. Why did he swerve back so rapidly - was it because he hit the other edge of the road or panicked, thinking the oncoming bike/scorpio were too close
3. There was a gentle curve on the road which would have made the visibility and anticipation of oncoming traffic quite difficult.
4. Physics resulted in the toppling over of the vehicle.
5. Was ABS feature available in this vehicle?
6. Is it a Brezza or another car? What is the variant?
BenjiRoss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 14:37   #29861
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
An overtaking move gone wrong.
Not really, more of an idiot with zero driving skills, zero human values and zero sense of responsibility.

There are no other questions to answer.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 14:43   #29862
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
An overtaking move gone wrong. I'm not sure of the location and the outcome of passengers.

1. I don't know why the ?Brezza went so wide to overtake the car. It almost went off the other edge of the road!
Maybe the driver was not aware of the road width, maybe a new driver.

Quote:
2. Why did he swerve back so rapidly - was it because he hit the other edge of the road or panicked, thinking the oncoming bike/scorpio were too close.
Looks like overcorrection with sudden input and the shoulder played a role in overcorrection.

Quote:
3. There was a gentle curve on the road which would have made the visibility and anticipation of oncoming traffic quite difficult.
Could be due to point no.1.

Quote:
4. Physics resulted in the toppling over of the vehicle.
The driver resulted in toppling over of the vehicle which followed laws of Physics, Physics did not topple the car. This reminds me of something I read on forum, I guess said by D-BHPian Thad E Ginathom, it was a case of a nut behind the steering. Look below, aptly put.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Not really, more of an idiot with zero driving skills, zero human values and zero sense of responsibility.

There are no other questions to answer.

Quote:
AFAIK, Brezza has ABS across all variants since launch. Moreover, the vehicle fishtailed. It can happen in vehicles with ABS.

Quote:
6. Is it a Brezza or another car? What is the variant?
It's a Brezza, can't comment on the variant though.

My take, Wet roads, 2 lane, approaching a left hand curve in speed, overcorrection of steering input resulted in this. Can't say if experienced or inexperienced, but the driver was definitely not following basic fundamentals of driving on such roads under such circumstances.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 23rd November 2019 at 14:46.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 14:49   #29863
BHPian

Quote:
An overtaking move gone wrong. I'm not sure of the location and the outcome of
The road also looks kindof wet (wet patches on the sides) and i would blame that a combo of his sudden change in direction for for him loosing control.

But no excuse to try an overtaking manoeuvres at turn. Lucky escape for biker. Hey
SideView is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 15:49   #29864
BHPian

Quote:

2. Why did he swerve back so rapidly - was it because he hit the other edge of the road or panicked, thinking the oncoming bike/scorpio were too close.
Even from the start, the success of the Brezza's overtaking maneuver depended on its ability to bully the motorcycle and Scorpio to the side of the road. He started to flash his lights from 0:21 onwards. Maybe the driver thought that the road belongs to his baap. The lesser mortals should get off the road to accommodate the 'highness'.

The car being overtaken made a slight move to the right at 0:21 just before Brezza started to overtake. The Brezza overcorrected for that and ended up at the right edge of the road. Then again overcorrected for that mistake by oversteering and ended up fishtailing.
Thankfully both motorcyclists didn't get involved in the accident.

It was series of mistakes by an entitled, over confident driver in a wet surface.

ABS+ TCS+ ESC (Electronic Stability control) would have helped.

What would have helped him even more is Common sense.

Last edited by Arwin07 : 23rd November 2019 at 15:51.
Arwin07 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 16:35   #29865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
Even from the start, the success of the Brezza's overtaking maneuver depended on its ability to bully the motorcycle and Scorpio to the side of the road. He started to flash his lights from 0:21 onwards. Maybe the driver thought that the road belongs to his baap. The lesser mortals should get off the road to accommodate the 'highness'.
Ignorant and arrogant driving. As you say, this could only succeed by pushing other road users off the road. It began with overtaking approaching the curve. No attempt was made to avoid the oncoming traffic by aborting the overtake. Slamming on the brakes, in a straight line, and then duck behind the car he was attempting to pass was one perhaps-possible method of avoiding disaster. Instead this guy goes for bullying move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
ABS+ TCS+ ESC (Electronic Stability control) would have helped.
I wish people would not even mention the usual abbreviations in scenarios like this: even decades of stunt-driving experience probably wouldn't have saved this idiot, let alone humble ABS.

The oncoming bike and car probably don't even have time to submit to the bullying. The biker escapes death by a hair: he had a good dose of luck that day. I wonder what happened to the innocent occupants of the on-coming car? The Alto driver is superfast on his brakes, and also had some luck on his side that day.
Quote:
He started to flash his lights from 0:21 onwards.
Previously I had concentrated on the first view of the incident. Watching the second part leaves me even more shocked and horrified.
Quote:
Made me look again and wonder if alcohol was involved.

(Sorry for the piecemeal editing and going back to include quotes from other posts. This would be why some might not receive a notification of being quoted)

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 23rd November 2019 at 16:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks