Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2019, 22:24   #29701
BHPian

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Thankfully the rider was wearing a helmet as it saved him a LOT of trouble (his head bounced off the road when he fell).
Interesting to see the other bike rider not loosing balance and continue riding. In similar T-bone collisions between 4 wheelers, the vehicle getting hit on the side looses control and even topples if that is an high GC vehicle.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th October 2019 at 11:28. Reason: Formatting quoted post
Old 17th October 2019, 23:52   #29702
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
This isn't Bangalore, or even India.
Where was it? do you have more details about it?

Looking at the motorcycles and the flyover view, I felt it's one of those few between Salem<>Hosur. I assume e-city flyover is well lit, has light poles right? folks riding/driving regularly can confirm.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th October 2019 at 11:27. Reason: Spacing
Old 18th October 2019, 05:59   #29703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Where was it?
Campinas, Brazil.

https://viraltab.news/motorbiker-pul...d-sent-flying/
binand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 10:29   #29704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Interesting to see the other bike rider not loosing balance and continue riding. In similar T-bone collisions between 4 wheelers, the vehicle getting hit on the side looses control and even topples if that is an high GC vehicle.

The other biker is hit at his rear wheel and controlling a rear skid is possible by even an average rider, so I think that's how he got away with it. However, I would totally blame him for this incident. The guy who fell also should have been more careful, but this fellow literally came out of nowhere.
Old 18th October 2019, 11:19   #29705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The other biker is hit at his rear wheel and controlling a rear skid is possible by even an average rider, so I think that's how he got away with it. However, I would totally blame him for this incident. The guy who fell also should have been more careful, but this fellow literally came out of nowhere.
I totally blame the guy who fell for the accident.

The Auto rickshaw to his LH and other vehicles stopped, that surely means some one else was crossing in front, there was no reason for him to enter the junction blindly.

Rahul

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th October 2019 at 12:01. Reason: Spacing
Old 18th October 2019, 11:55   #29706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
I totally blame the guy who fell for the accident.
The Auto rickshaw to his LH and other vehicles stopped, that surely means some one else was crossing in front, there was no reason for him to enter the junction blindly.

Rahul
In hindsight it seems so, but as you see in the video, the auto also brakes at the last moment and the bike guy is beside him, so in all practicality there is no time for him to react.

Having said that, in our country defensive driving is the only way to stay safe and hence I will blame him for that - he was too fast (for a junction) and assumed it would be clear, otherwise it was the other guy at fault all the way.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 18th October 2019 at 12:01. Reason: Reducing excessive spacing
Old 18th October 2019, 13:39   #29707
BHPian

Quote:

This happened in front of me at the end of September. Not exactly a 'near' miss, but thankfully I was maintaining sufficient distance from the bike in front and was slow.

Thankfully the rider was wearing a helmet as it saved him a LOT of trouble (his head bounced off the road when he fell).
I live very close to this chowk/junction. It is very nervy and scary to cross here. I can't elaborate enough that this is the worst part of the road for any traffic and pedestrian. This is a 6 lane road for that part and people are very careless with their driving/riding. To put into context it is an adventure to cross that part with any mode of transport.

I have tried watching the video a few times and I am unable to figure out from where did that biker that went across came from. My best guess is he came from the wrong side and gets hidden from the dash cam behind the biker who gets hit. Fortunately, the biker was wearing a helmet and seems to have escaped with minor injuries.

OT: This is one of the good examples for some people in Pune, who state that helmets are not required when you are travelling at slow speeds.

Last edited by aghate : 18th October 2019 at 14:00. Reason: spell check
aghate is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2019, 22:28   #29708
BHPian

Faced a minor accident today.

On my way to Nagercoil town, there are many bad patches of road, most of them on the left lane (road leading to Nagercoil). I came across some bad patch of road. There were two cars and a truck in front of me, the truck at the lead. Another truck was coming a little father from the opposite lane.

I overtook the two cars and almost 1/4th of the truck. The truck on the opposite lane came near and the truck on the left lane started moving towards right. Despite honking, he didn't stop moving towards the right. I had no time to react and had to squeeze between the two trucks. Luckily, no serious issues had happened, except for the breakage of the glass of the driver side ORVM. I didn't wish to start a fight, so I just went away.

If the truck had not moved towards the right, I would have overtaken the truck easily. But, I also think that I should have been a bit more careful and should not have overtaken at that spot.

I should also say that I had a bad day today with both the cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20191019wa0006.jpg  

Old 20th October 2019, 07:39   #29709
Senior - BHPian

Scary. I would have waited for the oncoming traffic to clear up.

On undivided roads, this is a great risk. Any mistake and the incident would have turned into a major one.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 08:03   #29710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Scary. I would have waited for the oncoming traffic to clear up.

On undivided roads, this is a great risk. Any mistake and the incident would have turned into a major one.
Not just an undivided road, when I was in Nagercoil some months back a lot of the road had been dug up in parts and most likely these have been very poorly resurfaced.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 12:48   #29711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sooraj View Post
If the truck had not moved towards the right, I would have overtaken the truck easily. But, I also think that I should have been a bit more careful and should not have overtaken at that spot.
When I'm on the road, I always expect other vehicles to do the unexpected to avoid surprises on the road.

You escaped from a dangerous situation
GladRagu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 15:34   #29712
BHPian

Quote:
Faced a minor accident today.

On my way to Nagercoil town, there are many bad patches of road, most of them on the left lane (road leading to Nagercoil). I came across some bad patch of road. There were two cars and a truck in front of me, the truck at the lead. Another truck was coming a little father from the opposite lane.

I overtook the two cars and almost 1/4th of the truck. The truck on the opposite lane came near and the truck on the left lane started moving towards right. Despite honking, he didn't stop moving towards the right. I had no time to react and had to squeeze between the two trucks. Luckily, no serious issues had happened, except for the breakage of the glass of the driver side ORVM. I didn't wish to start a fight, so I just went away.

I have to say that is extremely poor driving and judgement on your part. I do not understand the hurry in taking such risky manoeuvres; overtaking on a two lane road with oncoming traffic is always dangerous. Why would you compound this by trying to do so when you know there is a vehicle in the opposite lane.
hajaar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 15:39   #29713
BHPian

Quote:

1. Expect the unexpected.

2. Not a bit more, but a lot more careful
3. Bad day with both cars?
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 15:53   #29714
Distinguished - BHPian

General rule (or it should be)...

do not overtake in the face of oncoming traffic.

That traffic might, in the interests of its own self preservation, get out of the way, if it can, but the overtaker, on somebody-else's side of the road has no right of way and should expect none.

It sucks to be stuck behind slow traffic, but the lesson is it may suck, but suck it up and be patient.

This is not personal, but a general answer to common behaviour.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 16:32   #29715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post
I have to say that is extremely poor driving and judgement on your part. I do not understand the hurry in taking such risky manoeuvres; overtaking on a two lane road with oncoming traffic is always dangerous. Why would you compound this by trying to do so when you know there is a vehicle in the opposite lane.
Not in a hurry, but a wish to avoid potholed roads. As the truck moved to the right, I had to slow down and brought the car almost to a halt. I would have had enough space and time to overtake if the truck had not moved towards the right. And sorry, I'll not drive like this in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
1. Expect the unexpected.

2. Not a bit more, but a lot more careful
Learnt a lesson. I'll try my best to drive a lot more carefully hereafter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
3. Bad day with both cars?
Slightly off topic. It was not an accident with the other car (Stingray).

The road leading to Ozhuginasery junction from Meenakshipuram is one way road for some distance (vehicles can move from Vadasery fire station to Ozhuginasery and not vice versa). Near the junction, this road is good on the right side and bad on the left side (looked like a potholed road, but it was too bad that it formed a step, which I found later). When I was about to reach the junction, a mini truck entered from the wrong side (indicated by black arrow). So, I had no other go than to choose the bad road. I tried moving slowly, but the car could not climb, and I tried a little hard, but my efforts went in vain. I went a little back and took the good road. And after driving some distance, I found that the steering wheel got misaligned.

Note: It happened at 7:45pm and it was slightly drizzling. Also, the place I got stuck is where the road made of interlocking block and the tar road intersects.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo-marker_oct202019_161936.jpg  

Tom Sooraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks