Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2019, 12:18   #29776
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
It looks like the car in front of the bike stopped
Your assumption is right. The car driver saw a snacks / tea shop and braked suddenly resulting in this accident. People also say that an auto rickshaw parked near the snack shop might have caused this.

This came in newspaper today!

If you know to read Malayalam : https://www.manoramaonline.com/fastt...-accident.html
deemash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 13:26   #29777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
People also say that an auto rickshaw parked near the snack shop might have caused this
That badly parked auto rickshaw can be seen in the video. Vehicles are forced to move on the oncoming vehicle's lane to pass that spot. That's probably the reason why most of the cars are braking/slowing down when approaching that spot waiting for oncoming vehicles to give way.

Unfortunately when the A Star approaches that spot, there is a bus coming from the other side leaving no space to pass which is what caused the car to stop in my opinion. If at all someone is to blame, it is the scooter rider first followed by the auto rickshaw for hindering traffic movement. It is the scooter rider's responsibility to maintain adequate distance from the vehicle in front to be able to stop in time. Lesson he's (hopefully) learnt the hard way.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 14:30   #29778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Lesson he's (hopefully) learnt the hard way.
My bet is that he hasn't learnt his lesson because people around and he himself will be busy blaming the auto, the car, the narrow road, the position of the shop and the high speed of the bus. I'm sure he tells the story by stating that everything was stacked against him, but he still survived because he was an expert rider.
He is the smallest vehicle in the mix (even the shop is larger) and hence cannot be blamed as per the usual Indian logic.

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 1st November 2019 at 14:31.
BenjiRoss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 14:37   #29779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
An accident which took place yesterday near my home. A motor cyclist overtakes into the path of a bus...
The scooterist is faster than the average traffic on the road. The car driver decided to stop completely, probably after seeing the bus barrelling down at him from the other side. There is a bend to the left which usually translates to "worst place to overtake" as vehicles from opposite side inadvertently will cut into your side of the road, and the bus did exactly that. Apart from all this, the auto parked at this bend is just an icing on the cake.

The main "cake" is the shop before a bend, as we have all travelled on highways and not once have we stopped before a shop, it is always after. If this accident was fatal, the shop guy will demand a speed breaker and in all probability will get his wishes granted. Slower speeds then will prompt more shops to sprout in the vicinity eventually making this a bottleneck.
Old 1st November 2019, 16:06   #29780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
The scooterist is faster than the average traffic on the road. The car driver decided to stop completely, probably after seeing the bus barrelling down at him from the other side. There is a bend to the left which usually translates to "worst place to overtake" as vehicles from opposite side inadvertently will cut into your side of the road, and the bus did exactly that.
I don't see the bus cutting into the oncoming lane, infact it is on the left edge of it's own lane, and pulls out of the road just before the impact, to clear the A-star that has stopped with RH wheels across the line.

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 1st November 2019 at 16:08.
Old 1st November 2019, 16:40   #29781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
I don't see the bus cutting into the oncoming lane...
I could be wrong but:
At 0:16 there is a Santro avoiding an oncoming car by nearly going off the road. I am mentioning this to compare the amount of space required for two vehicles to pass with the auto in place. The bus is definitely wider than the Santro.
At around 0:35 - 0:36 one can see the amount of space on the left of the bus.
At 0:36 - 0:38 he moves left to avoid the now stopped car, but still not off the road.
It is only after the scooterist emerges from behind the car, it actually goes off the tarmac.

The bus would have maintained a similar line as the the mid-size truck at 0:10 if it wasn't for the car. And I am not putting the blame on the bus.
Old 1st November 2019, 18:27   #29782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
An accident which took place yesterday near my home. A motor cyclist overtakes into the path of a bus, he survived from what I know.
What i do not understand is why did the 2 wheeler veer into the path of a bus that was coming directly down? Even if one argues that he was not able to stop, a more rational/safer option is to hit car rather than move in front of an approaching bus! And don't tell me, he could not see the bus! A two wheeler always have better field of view than a car driver. He seemed to have slowed down to a large extent (my visual calculation says he could have stopped in time or, at most, had a minor bump with the car bumper) and then turns straight into the bus. To me, it appears he was trying to overtake the car by thinking he could squeeze through the (non-existent) gap between the car and approaching bus.

And yes, i feel if the Auto was not parked there, this accident would not have happened at all. No wonder the Auto ran off after the accident.
Old 1st November 2019, 18:51   #29783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
What i do not understand is why did the 2 wheeler veer into the path of a bus that was coming directly down? Even if one argues that he was not able to stop, a more rational/safer option is to hit car rather than move in front of an approaching bus! And don't tell me, he could not see the bus! A two wheeler always have better field of view than a car driver. He seemed to have slowed down to a large extent (my visual calculation says he could have stopped in time or, at most, had a minor bump with the car bumper) and then turns straight into the bus. To me, it appears he was trying to overtake the car by thinking he could squeeze through the (non-existent) gap between the car and approaching bus.

And yes, i feel if the Auto was not parked there, this accident would not have happened at all. No wonder the Auto ran off after the accident.
If observed carefully, you can see that the 2 wheeler front tire wobbles and loses balance which eventually made the driver fall diagonally on to the oncoming bus. This is a common problem with these scooters with smaller tires, if front brakes are applied there is literally no balance and either it wobbles or skids.
Old 1st November 2019, 21:05   #29784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
If observed carefully, you can see that the 2 wheeler front tire wobbles and loses balance which eventually made the driver fall diagonally on to the oncoming bus. This is a common problem with these scooters with smaller tires, if front brakes are applied there is literally no balance and either it wobbles or skids.
A photograph of the bus after the accident.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-74533370_3019542388065170_5569080717431799808_n.jpg  

sparky@home is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 21:27   #29785
Distinguished - BHPian

As per the OP Bharat, occupants of the Hector are safe.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 10:00   #29786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
This is a common problem with these scooters with smaller tires, if front brakes are applied there is literally no balance and either it wobbles or skids.
Size of the wheels is not an issue here, it is the fraud called CBS. Or parallel cable brakes.

The low cost two wheelers have this instead of ABS. The parallel cable gives a fixed ratio pressure on both wheels without correction for weight distribution.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2019, 21:46   #29787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
Your assumption is right. The car driver saw a snacks / tea shop and braked suddenly resulting in this accident. People also say that an auto rickshaw parked near the snack shop might have caused this.

This came in newspaper today!

If you know to read Malayalam : https://www.manoramaonline.com/fastt...-accident.html
That is a pretty absurd theory for god's sake ! If one watches the video closely the car driver brakes to a stop most likely cause he wasn't confident of squeezing between the rickshaw on the left and the bus in the opposite lane - not because he saw same tea-shop and and fancies stopping in the middle of a busy road. The scooter guy is clearly over speeding and the auto was illegally parked on the road making life difficult for everyone on the route. Thank god the scooterist survived, else imagine the plight of the car driver with such lame theories floating around
SR-71 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 14:45   #29788
Distinguished - BHPian

Dilpreet Singh was saved by his Tata Nexon's build quality.

No details on how the accident happened.

Quote:
my #TataNexon has met with a serious accident. The severity of the accident can be measured from the photos in the post. The build quality of the car & timely functioning of airbags guarded my life. #ThankyouGod #ThankyouTataNexon for a new life.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-n2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-n1.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 16:09   #29789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
saved by his Tata Nexon
Looks like a rollover crash or diagonal hit into a pole. The front end doesn't have any substantial damage. Good to see that the airbags deployed in spite of that.

Last edited by self_driven : 3rd November 2019 at 16:11.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2019, 18:20   #29790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Looks like a rollover crash or diagonal hit into a pole. The front end doesn't have any substantial damage. Good to see that the airbags deployed in spite of that.

From the abrasion marks on the A-pillar - rollover looks more likely as those parts have scraped the ground.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks