Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2019, 08:36   #29911
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Surprising to see people commenting that the build quality wasn't at fault considering the state of the Dzire. It is smashed beyond recognition, while the Hyundai behind it has protected the cabin despite the headlong collision.

The poor build quality of cars have contributed a lot to India being the country with the largest number of road accident deaths. High time people recognize build quality as important safety aspect and make purchases with this aspect as a priority. Let the sales charts themselves be a lesson for manufacturers to address this gap.

Speed may have been a factor, but the distance between the vehicles suggest that it wasn't as if the Hyundai and the Brezza were too far away. Else there wouldn't have been a collision as the drivers would've braked seeing the Dzire crash.
Much as I am a critic of MSIL's intentionally poor build quality ; this particular pile-up is a bad example to drive home the point. Simply because, the object into which the dzire collides is a mammoth, compared to what other cars behind it had to collide with. The dzire would have had to absorb back all the energy that it imparted to the collision, like a ball going and hitting a wall. The cars behind would be similar to ball going and hitting other balls.
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:50   #29912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFan View Post
Dzire, I20 and Brezza involved in a horrible mishap.
Any info about the passengers in the Dzire? I see a lady stuck at the passenger seat.
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:11   #29913
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
A fatal accident at Mangaluru.
It took a long time to stop - the stopping distance of these huge vehicles are long even with good brakes. I'm not sure if the brakes were not functioning well, not pressed well, or the driver didn't let go of the accelerator after the crash. Or maybe this was just normal stopping distance for the vehicle.
I am sure something is wrong with the vehicle or the driver. The brakes not that poor on such vehicles that they do an emergency stop even when loaded.

Last edited by bblost : 2nd December 2019 at 14:11. Reason: removed embedded video.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:23   #29914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I am sure something is wrong with the vehicle or the driver. The brakes not that poor on such vehicles that they do an emergency stop even when loaded.
Totally agree. If there was nothing wrong with the driver or the vehicle, then there is no way such a vehicle should be on the roads. Also, sad to see how injured people are forced to sit immediately after the accident. With the rate of accidents on Indian roads, basic first aid should be mandatorily taught in schools and driving schools.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 11:20   #29915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobliss View Post
Any info about the passengers in the Dzire? I see a lady stuck at the passenger seat.
There is another video of the same accident which shows more details, however did not share that video as it has more bizzare pictures of the mishap.

There were two people seen in the front seats, husband was wearing his seat belt and was seen as survived as was speaking. Next to him was his wife who did not wear the seatbelt and might have crashed into the dash.

She was seen bleeding and gasping for breath, gut feeling is she might have survived.
Old 2nd December 2019, 12:26   #29916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
She was seen bleeding and gasping for breath, gut feeling is she might have survived.
That is visible even in this video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
All that momentum crushing ANY car with a laden lorry would have resulted in a similar state. Suzuki cars might not be the best when it comes to safety, but this is a really unfair situation to make such a comment.
It seems like the Dzire crashed into the rear of the truck which suddenly slowed , did not immediately stop. There were 2 other cars behind the Dzire and a lorry again which crashed into these cars pushing them into the crashed dzire. The lead truck moved a little ahead dragging the dzire, and then stopped.

During the crash, the 1st crash Dzire's crumple zone would have been crushed not leaving much to get crushed again, but in the second crash a moment later the two cars would have absorbed some amount of energy, so rear of Dzire should not have crushed as much.
having driven over 11 Lakh km on Indian highways in the last 27 years, and witnessed many accidents, I have come to a conclusion not to buy a Maruti, or let any family member or employee who takes my advice buy one. Brezza is a exception to not allowed category.

Another rule is a 3star or 4star rated car with 700mm bonnet is better than a 5 star rated car with lower bonnet.

Rahul

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th December 2019 at 12:56. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Rahul Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 18:29   #29917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
The driver of the autorickshaw was thrown out and badly injured, but survived.
The passenger, a teacher, had fatal injuries. She was apparently pinned inside the auto.
Was there a third person in the auto? It looks like someone fell out of the auto just before the pinned auto and truck passed the parked auto on the side of the road.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 19:15   #29918
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
having driven over 11 Lakh km on Indian highways in the last 27 years, and witnessed many accidents, I have come to a conclusion not to buy a Maruti, or let any family member or employee who takes my advice buy one. Brezza is a exception to not allowed category.
What about the Ritz and the old SX4 from Maruti stable?

Even Hyundai makes unsafe cars, Grand i10 is having 0 stars safety rating
Old 4th December 2019, 02:02   #29919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Even Hyundai makes unsafe cars, Grand i10 is having 0 stars safety rating
How does that justify Maruti making crumply unsafe cars? I don't get the point you're trying to make here....

It's like when you point out these days how one political party is robbing you in broad daylight, and that party retorts, "but the other politician robbed you too!" That's ridiculous.

It's as if, if two guys are both doing something wrong each, collectively those two wrongs make one right? Like you learn in school, minus+minus=+?? That's nuts!

Except it's right in maths, of course.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th December 2019 at 16:20. Reason: Please avoid putting too many spaces in sentences/paragraphs. It inconveniences our mobile readers. Thank you.
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 09:20   #29920
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
How does that justify Maruti making crumply unsafe cars? I don't get the point you're trying to make here....

It's like when you point out these days how one political party is robbing you in broad daylight, and that party retorts, "but the other politician robbed you too!" That's ridiculous.
It's as if, if two guys are both doing something wrong each, collectively those two wrongs make one right? Like you learn in school, minus+minus=+?? That's nuts!

I was not defending Maruti for the unsafe cars they are rolling out. I just want to remind that Maruti has also created Brezza, Ritz etc.

Its not the Maruti alone is the culprit, its the typical Indian mindset. If people starts demanding better cars, even Maruti will be forced to build it.

But some people have the wrong notion that only Maruti makes unsafe cars and I just pointed it :-)

Last edited by mithun : 4th December 2019 at 09:24.
mithun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 09:22   #29921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Like you learn in school, minus+minus=+?? That's nuts!
small correction sir, it's minus x minus = plus.
kavensri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 09:51   #29922
Senior - BHPian

Look how the dynamics changes with simple steering inputs. This accident is a great lesson on how not to overtake.

balenoed_ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 10:11   #29923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Look how the dynamics changes with simple steering inputs. This accident is a great lesson on how not to overtake.
Other auxiliary lesson being

Flashing your headlight doesn't make opposite lane traffic disappear.
ramzsys is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 10:11   #29924
BANNED

Quote:
Suzuki poor build quality exposed once again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Surprising to see people commenting that the build quality wasn't at fault considering the state of the Dzire.
Sirji, there has to be a difference between a car hitting a car and a car hitting a truck. The DZire build can be light, but it is the DZire which has nothing to deform ahead of it unlike the i20 and Brezza had. DZire had to take the entire momentum coming from the truck and pass it on to the truck ahead of it, with nothing in the truck to deform. No wonder, the DZire had to go through this all.

Quote:
Speed may have been a factor, but the distance between the vehicles suggest that it wasn't as if the Hyundai and the Brezza were too far away.
All it suggests is that the truck behind the cars was driven by the careless fellow sirji. Imagine the momentum this guy was carrying that he crushed three cars to this limit before coming to the rest finally. Brezza is crushed till the rear window taking the complete C pillar, i20 has entire boot inside, DZire is now a coke can. It's a case of the truck hitting from behind and pushing the cars ahead. Something that frequently happens in north India during foggy winter mornings and nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
All that momentum crushing ANY car with a laden lorry would have resulted in a similar state. Suzuki cars might not be the best when it comes to safety, but this is a really unfair situation to make such a comment.
Completely agree over this statement. The best example is the Tucson which we had a few pages back in the same thread. attaching the picture again for the reference of gentlemen:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-trucktucson.jpg
VKumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 10:33   #29925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Looks like the driver panicked and gave excess steering when the right side tyres went over the road edge during the overtake. Being wet roads, it made it worse. The two wheeler had a narrow escape and good thing that was a Scorpio he slammed into.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks