Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2019, 15:49   #28351
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
I suppose what was meant is, if the frequency of vehicles with the same RTO registrations are found on a highway, the chances are high that these are local vehicles and the probability of such vehicles criss crossing the highway is higher. If such is found, then, it is good to slow down and look for surprises.

Yes this is what I meant.
Old 25th April 2019, 16:12   #28352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redswift View Post
If you look closely, you can see a stationary pickup truck carrying water cans(?) right in front of the Ciaz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobliss View Post
The driver of Nexon is to blame for the accident who didn't even bother to brake when he had plenty of time/distance to do so.
The front integrity of the Nexon is impressive. The Nexon has literally hot stamped/ hammered its shape into the back of the Ciaz and yet has ended up with just a dislodged bumper without any visible deformation in its bonnet.

The Nexon did brake but was unable to stop fully without bumping into the Ciaz. He certainly did not hit the Ciaz at the same speed which he was maintaining in earlier part of the video clip.

Its true that the Nexon driver should have anticipated and stopped well behind the Ciaz without bumping into it irrespective of the reason the Ciaz stopped. It is definitely the responsibility of the Nexon, no questions there.

But in reality, if any vehicle stops for whatever reason in the fast lane of a highway, then it definitely has a very high risk of being banged from behind and that is what happened with the Ciaz, he may have been forced to stop unfortunately due to the truck in front of him or may have been turning right ahead, it doesn't matter, the risk of a rear shunt is always high in this case.

That is exactly why if one needs to stop on a highway, the best practice is to stop the vehicle on the left side and way clear off the road or run the risk of a rear shunt.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 25th April 2019 at 16:16.
for_cars1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 18:07   #28353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
I came across this 6 year old video. Skip to 04:30

https://Youtu.be/mPne-q4ynts?t=252
WOW. Pardon me for digressing and stating something which is different from the topic of this thread. I saw the video and it has reaffirmed the stupidity that Indians do in all walks of life and the worst are our road manners as it results in loss of life and property. Whenever I look at India through the eyes of a foreigner from the so called developed nations like in the video which you posted it just makes my cringe. It makes me go into deep thought on what are the social reasons for Indians behaving in a particular manner. Often times it leads me to the point of poverty and lack of education. However I don’t accept that. There is definitely something much more elaborate which needs a social study on the typical Indian behavior which often times lacks morality and has grains of greed and indifference towards other humans and life forms. It can be a topic of a doctorate thesis if not already done. I’ll stop here and let the thread continue with the subject of Accidents in India.

Mods: Please delete my message if you feel it is not applicable here. I have raised a subject which can go in the section of Shifting Gears: Why do most Indians behave in the way they do? Sigh…
RajBajwa is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 19:09   #28354
BHPian

Looks like I am the only one coming across such images of the Ciaz.
Looks like a text book case of not maintaining safe distance.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1556199060888.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1556199058528.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1556199063480.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1556199065701.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1556199068079.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1556199070346.jpg
Image credits - Facebook & respective owners.
OverKill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 19:34   #28355
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverKill View Post
Looks like I am the only one coming across such images of the Ciaz.
2nd and 4th picture, is that a piece of polystyrene (thermocol in street slang) on the rear bumper? From where it's located, looks like it's used as padding between the rear bumper plastic cover and the metal body?
Old 25th April 2019, 19:50   #28356
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
2nd and 4th picture, is that a piece of polystyrene (thermocol in street slang) on the rear bumper? From where it's located, looks like it's used as padding between the rear bumper plastic cover and the metal body?
Yes its a block of thermocol between the rear bumper and metal skirt, have noticed that in few other Marutis:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20170603_171933.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20170603_171935.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 20:33   #28357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Yes its a block of thermocol between the rear bumper and metal skirt, have noticed that in few other Marutis...
Standard practice? I don't believe I've seen it used like that before. It also appears to only be placed centrally in a small area, so skeptical how efficient it is as padding/support of outer plastic skin of the bumper.
Old 25th April 2019, 20:50   #28358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
[*]I think a 2 lane should widen up to 3 lane before a turn, to allow traffic to move to right most lane. The design of the road is incorrect. Also clear and repeated indication of gap-in-median should be provided on the right side of the median
I agree. There's something fundamentally wrong in our road design. When you're constructing highways that are meant to connect the major cities of our country, why can't they be of international specs?

Name:  uturn.png
Views: 5426
Size:  453.4 KB

This is from the UAE. I see that their road design is consistent and well marked. If you see here a new lane branches off for the U-turn well in advance, maybe 500m and is well marked.

Even before coming here, driving on our highways I wondered, if the lane that's provided for u-turn on our highways is even sufficient? If you've noticed it's barely sufficient for a car too and people use it as a part of the overtaking lane.
Now once you've taken the u-turn you need to have some buffer to catch up. For us, we're just turning into the fast moving traffic and just pray no one hits us from behind.

In the above pic you can notice the buffer provided for the vehicles taking the u-turn. The vehicle takes the u-turn, passes in there and waits to merge till the lane is clear.
rav11stars is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 20:58   #28359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
On the Nexon-Ciaz accident, any guesstimate on what the speed of the Nexon could have been?

It appeared the driver braked just a fraction of a second later and nothing more. But, with the ABS kicking in, my guess is that the Ciaz would still have taken a hit albeit a much lesser one. And the Nexon driver was lucky enough to not have swerved to the left in a hurry, which would have lead him right into the path of the bus.
Agree with you. I think the Nexon driver braked quite late. The Ciaz is visible just after the Nexon overtakes the bike rather even before that, and the driver should have had his focus on the Ciaz and realise that the brake lights are on and the car is stationery. A copybook accident according me and could have been avoided.
Old 25th April 2019, 21:53   #28360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverKill View Post
Well another crumple zone doing its job here.

If only the Nexon guy would have driven a bit more sensibly. The Ciaz bore the burnt here. I guess the Ciaz was taking Right/U-turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post

Looking 3-4 vehicles in front and not short sighted driving of blindly following the vehicle in front will be helpful to spot and avoid obstacles with ample time.
This comment I made in the context of another incident applies to the Nexon rear ending Ciaz too.

Most Indians, especially while driving in city traffic, are extremely short sighted in the sense that our concentration is on the immediate vehicle ahead. There is no seeing the road 3-5 vehicles/200-300 metres/12-15 seconds ahead of us.

Vehicles indulge in swinging in and out of lanes to overtake aggressively focussing (tailgating) only the vehicle in front as if it is a race.

It is important to have a mental note of the 'big picture' of the whole traffic ahead.
Arwin07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 22:15   #28361
Senior - BHPian

Have been spending most of my recent time on Tamil Nadu highways, I don't think there is a break in the median immediately ahead of the Truck/Ciaz, median usually shrinks, giving space for cars to take the turn safely.

If someone could gather the actual story, it will be of benefit to us.
Old 25th April 2019, 22:37   #28362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most Indians, especially while driving in city traffic, are extremely short sighted in the sense that our concentration is on the immediate vehicle ahead. .....

It is important to have a mental note of the 'big picture' of the whole traffic ahead.
Not just while driving, you'll find the same short sightedness in abundance in every other aspect of life with total lack of planning and strategy. Big picture thinking is very rarely seen, hopefully we will improve as a society if there is sustained right leadership, political will, proper traffic law enforcement and stringent road rules and safety awareness qualification tests before issuing driving licenses.
Old 26th April 2019, 08:18   #28363
BHPian

Quote:
A lot of vehicles passed the spot before he fell. Nobody parked their vehicle and removed the huge stone from the road. (Lonely stretch of road, middle of night- a perfect ambush for thiefs, I understand.)
Unfortunately no Police patrolled during that time.
In the full video (see the FB link below), at the start there was a truck driver who stopped the vehicle ahead and came back to remove the stone. However, the culprit threatened him to go back and mind his own business.

The moron should be trialled for murder .

https://m.facebook.com/6115635756154...02731923165283
jpcoolguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 10:32   #28364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
median usually shrinks[/b], giving space for cars to take the turn safely.
This is the bigger problem in our country. There is absolutely no consistency when it comes to road design and hence most of the times (limited to National Highways), the median shrinks and makes way for an additional lane where one can come to halt and decide to make that safe right/U turn after careful assessment.

However, maximum state highways do not follow this design and the break in the median exists just as a "Break-In-The-Median" but nothing else.

All said and done, that was certainly not the way to drive; utterly careless and casual!! One can notice his impatience right from the beginning and the way he is weaving in and out of considerable traffic without any anticipation.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 10:51   #28365
Distinguished - BHPian

Did anyone else see the recent CCTV footage from Madurai of a random guy plonking boulders onto a National Highway? A motorcyclist died after hitting one of them. A truck driver had tried to remove the boulders earlier but the guy chased him away sadly.

I myself saw the exact same thing happen near Ambur On Jan 1st 2019; we were driving back to Chennai at noon and we saw a person throwing bricks and stones onto the highway. We pulled over and ran to him to make him stop doing that. It turned out that he was drunk. Truck drivers pulled over and stopped traffic while others removed the stones from the highway. The drunk was so angry at our interference that he tried to step into the driver's seat on my idling TUV 300 which had our family still seated inside, but I chased him away before he could do so.
locusjag is offline   (21) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks