Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2019, 14:00   #28216
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimalan View Post
A couple escaped with just minor injuries in spite of going under the car.

This is essentially the common practice we find on our roads. When you enter the highway, you should stick to the nearest lane, other than going for the middle or extreme lane.

In this case the motorbike rider either was trying to cross to the other side but backed out at last second or he was following above mentioned dangerous routine.

Last edited by bblost : 4th April 2019 at 16:44. Reason: removed the embedded video in the quoted post.
Old 4th April 2019, 14:23   #28217
BHPian

Both these are examples of a Moose / Elk test

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Over speeding. I think most of the Indian drivers are hard-wired not to slow down even if there is a danger ahead, not defensive enough.
The Indica here is overspeeding and attempts a moose test maneuver around the biker that it miserably fails resulting in the accident. This driver should know the limitations of his car and surroundings while driving.

Quote:
This is where the Mercedes driver could have slowed down slightly and attempted the same maneuver around the bike and could have avoided the accident. It's a far better handling car and at speeds upto 60-70 kph, can successfully change lanes without toppling or fishtailing.

However, instead of reducing speed, he decided to go around the biker and probably honked as well, spooking the biker in the process, prompting him to change back to the left lane. Even then there is enough space around the bike to safely pass from the right, but he did not manage or probably thought the biker might change his mind again! (It's possible)

Would say 60% fault of the biker, and 40% of the driver for not anticipating and switching to a defensive stance the moment he saw the biker start to cross. He is in a car that could have slowed down, stopped or maneuvered around with ease.

Personally, I treat traffic on road like "Cows", like an untamed animal, anything can happen, anytime.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 4th April 2019 at 23:44. Reason: Typos
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 15:34   #28218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
The biker, who was most at fault for suddenly changing lane (no RVMs) and then stopping dead centre on the road,

had no qualms about checking up on his pillion rider while limping away from the accident.
Correct and in addition I strongly suspect that the car driver must have long honked which left the rider perplexed; wondering which side is the car leading him to almost stopping there. This is something car drivers should avoid i.e. adding to others' confusion.

He better be in excruciating pain else he would have lot of explaining to do to his better half (if she was), .
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 22:41   #28219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Another accident involving a truck and a mini truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20190320_131435.jpg
In above picture, it can be seen that the Trailer is fully loaded (with weight) and this causes the Braking Distance to increase.

If the Trailer Driver had not maneuver towards his right (towards mini truck) he would have crashed into the bus and might be dead. So instead of crashing into the bus, he thought it was much safer for him to crash into a smaller vehicle which he did.

On a side note here are some of the examples of Increase in Braking Distance of Heavy Vehicles-
1. Had received this video on Whatsapp 2-3 years ago. Searching this video on internet (as I had deleted this video from my phone) led to late posting of my reply.

IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 12:22   #28220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post

On a side note here are some of the examples of Increase in Braking Distance of Heavy Vehicles-
1. Had received this video on Whatsapp 2-3 years ago. Searching this video on internet (as I had deleted this video from my phone) led to late posting of my reply.
Car Gets Crushed Between Trucks[/url]
The trailer was too fast. You can see from the video, he crushed the small vehicle and then also hit the trailer on the front.

Sad, the small vehicle was a goner the moment it changed lane.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th April 2019 at 16:07. Reason: Formatting and spacing
Old 5th April 2019, 13:01   #28221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
The trailer was too fast.You can see from the video, he crushed the small vehicle and then also hit the trailer on the front.

Sad, the small vehicle was a goner the moment it changed lane.
That's what I want to convey. These Fully Loaded Trucks, Trailers need large distance to stop even when their speed is 50-60 Kmph (leave alone 80-100kmph) since the momentum of the weight behind these vehicles will prevent them from stopping within short distance. Hence its dangerous to suddenly stop/appear before (in front of) them.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 13:32   #28222
BHPian

Quote:
On a side note here are some of the examples of Increase in Braking Distance of Heavy Vehicles
"When passing a truck, make sure both it's headlights are visible in your rear view mirror before merging" is indeed a good advice.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 15:43   #28223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
"When passing a truck, make sure both it's headlights are visible in your rear view mirror before merging" is indeed a good advice.

Would it have been a typo that you have said "visible in your rear view mirror"? I prefer to have a considerable distance between me and a heavy vehicle on the same lane so as to give them sufficient braking distance. So, I would prefer that they aren't very visible on my rear view mirrors.
Old 5th April 2019, 18:54   #28224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Would it have been a typo that you have said "visible in your rear view mirror"?...
Not a typo, it's a quote from the safety video posted. Trying to get both headlights in your Rear View Mirror (Not Wing Mirror or ORVM) will take a considerable amount of distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
...So, I would prefer that they aren't very visible on my rear view mirrors.
This will not be a viable option if you have to give way for others (going faster) to use the same lane to overtake.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-overtaking.jpg  

shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 19:05   #28225
BHPian

Quote:
Not a typo, it's a quote from the safety video posted. Trying to get both headlights in your Rear View Mirror (Not Wing Mirror or ORVM) will take a considerable amount of distance.

This will not be a viable option if you have to give way for others (going faster) to use the same lane to overtake.
Oh. Ok. This won't work for me since I have an IRVM (clip on) that gives me B pillar to B pillar view. i also have blind spot mirrors on my OVRM to give me a clear view of what is around me.

Last edited by swissknife : 5th April 2019 at 19:08.
Old 5th April 2019, 21:13   #28226
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
only when overtaking from the correct side, ie from the truck's right side, if in india. If overtaking from the left (very common on 2+2 highways in our country where trucks hog right lane), this is not a good crieteria - the angle of the car's IRVM towards driver will make sure both headlights of the truck are visible, far earlier than if the overtaking was from the right side of the truck.
Old 5th April 2019, 23:58   #28227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's what I want to convey. These Fully Loaded Trucks, Trailers need large distance to stop even when their speed is 50-60 Kmph (leave alone 80-100kmph) since the momentum of the weight behind these vehicles will prevent them from stopping within short distance. Hence its dangerous to suddenly stop/appear before (in front of) them.
I've driven 15 foot moving trucks umpteen times in the US. I was the designated moving truck driver in our circles; whomsoever wanted to move from home to home, there I'd be driving one of these:
Name:  14Large.png
Views: 4310
Size:  62.5 KB
The haulage of these vans is only around 3 tonnes but they were enough to shift all the stuff out of a 3BHK.

Out on the highway, they were slow to pick up pace when fully loaded. And when they did, they taught me the true meaning of momentum. It felt like a freight train bearing down on a school bus half the time.

What's more - the load inside and behind you could shift upon sudden braking and hit the wall behind your head in the cabin. In heavier trucks, this presents itself as a jack knifing risk. The load has a mind of its own.

I can only imagine what our truckers go through.
locusjag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 00:58   #28228
BHPian

Quote:

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=VYu3wiTsiP4
What the hell? He is pulling the person stuck under the car without even assessing the situation.

We definitely need to overhaul the license tests, training and fines in our country.
Viv3k is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 08:21   #28229
BHPian

Another suicidal 2 wheeler on a highway! The elderly person ended up with fractured leg. The car which didn't stop after the incident was caught by police at a toll plaza.

Lorry rams into people at a busy signal due to brake failure. Two persons crushed to death on the spot.

Last edited by Nimalan : 6th April 2019 at 08:36.
Old 6th April 2019, 08:37   #28230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
This video shows the difference between a car crash with a truck with underrun protection bar Vs without.

Another day, another accident where a car completely 'under-run' a trailer lorry. This time the victim is a Tamilnadu ex-MLA and his family on Chennai-Bengaluru highway near Ambur in Innova.
RIP.

Pic courtesy: Thanthi TV.

What is the current legislation or executive orders on mandatory under-run bars? Can any informed people or legal experts in this forum throw some light, please?

Yes, it is easier not to drive into the rear of a lorry/bus. But in those kinds of accidents, the victims should have a decent chance of survival instead of sure death. An under-run bar would give work for crumple zone and airbags saving lives instead of decapitating the poor victims when they are absent. Another aspect in such accidents is lack of brake lights or reflectors in the rear of lorry/buses.

If there is no legislation or if the implementation is poor, can we Team BHPians file a PIL?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20190406082145.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20190406082134.jpeg  

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th April 2019 at 23:21. Reason: Removed Youtube URL from qouted post for readability.
Arwin07 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks