Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2019, 11:20   #28111
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
An accident in Tiruppur, Tamil Nadu.
I don't see anyone other than the biker responsible for this accident. Even the JCB had slowed down before crossing over so I don't think it was the JCB at fault. My guess is that the biker wanted to swerve past the JCB and keep going straight when he saw it wanting to crossover. Why? Just to save those 15 seconds where he would have to stop and wait for JCB to cross. In this tearing hurry, he must have missed that JCB had crossed over and while trying to swerve past, ended up with nowhere to go and landed up on other side of road while avoiding collision with JCB.

Sadly, I see many two wheelers in Pune executing such swerving maneuvers past reversing/turning trucks/buses, even when they don't have clear visibility of what lies ahead. These motorists truly have a lot of faith in power of whatever prayers they recite every morning.
ksameer1234 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 11:50   #28112
BHPian

Quote:
An accident in Tiruppur, Tamil Nadu. Unfortunately, the rider died. It’s far too common seeing the heavy machines like JCB, tractors, backhoes, road rollers etc. crawling slowly on highways or crossing and blocking the roads without care.
An accident which could have been simply avoided by the biker if he could have been a little patient to stop, check if he has the full view of the road whether its clear or not before crossing.

But since, the majority of bikers/mopeds have the tendency to just cross/cut the roads without turning their heads left or right - as if they are walking from their living room to bedroom. We see this incredible phenomena probably all around the country with bikers, cars, pedestrians.

I wonder why they do not fear of getting hit which may injure or kill them on the roads and always expect the other vehicles to stop for them

I fear of driving these days either by car or bike because of these incidents.

Last edited by bblost : 15th March 2019 at 11:55.
bvasista is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 15:26   #28113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An accident in Tiruppur, Tamil Nadu. Unfortunately, the rider died. It’s far too common seeing the heavy machines like JCB, tractors, backhoes, road rollers etc. crawling slowly on highways or crossing and blocking the roads without care.
If a person is determined to commit suicide, its very difficult to stop him. I just hope the poor driver of the vehicle that ran him over is not harassed for no fault of his.
longhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 16:20   #28114
BHPian

Accident captured in the dash cam of the bus:

tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 18:51   #28115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
I don't see anyone other than the biker responsible for this accident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
If a person is determined to commit suicide, its very difficult to stop him.
No patience, if there is an obstruction ahead instead of applying brakes, majority of two wheeler riders use to swerve - a common behaviour on Indian roads

Last edited by airbus : 15th March 2019 at 18:52.
airbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 08:23   #28116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
No patience, if there is an obstruction ahead instead of applying brakes, majority of two wheeler riders use to swerve - a common behaviour on Indian roads
True.

Only thing to add - this attribute is not restricted to two wheelers alone but to all-wheelers! To a very large extent, age, gender, education, net-worth, or any other profile seemingly has no bearing on this.

One example - I was returning from Lalbag side towards corporation side on the JC Rd., B'lore. A GLA swerves towards me and I had to take evasive action. Luckily no harm done at the end. I rolled down my windows, gestured the GLA chap to do the same and gave him an earful on "fundamentals of driving!"

He was a fairly senior person. The eyes suggestive of a habitual alcohol abuser (totally my judgement). His excuse - another person got into his lane so he had to swerve right!

The incident is not isolated at all. I see exactly the same thing happen over and over again no matter how many wheels are attached to the vehicle.

If you observe, additionally, majority of the vehicles turning left/right : They almost always roll over to the adjacent lane or part of it. Such is the expertise of most drivers we see everyday.

It's a surprise (miracle?) we see so few accidents. By every logic, we ought to see lot more.
Miyata is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 10:56   #28117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
It's a surprise (miracle?) we see so few accidents. By every logic, we ought to see lot more.
In 2011 my American boss visited Bengaluru, which was his first visit to India. He told me that it's surprising that he saw only one accident in one week, whereas he see an accident almost everyday during his commute to/from office in California
airbus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 18:32   #28118
Senior - BHPian

Another example of a crumple zone in action.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screen-shot-20190316-4.52.27-pm.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screen-shot-20190316-4.52.57-pm.png
ecenandu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 23:17   #28119
BHPian

A car hitting a bike and getting damaged so much so that the car's radiator is leaking and the bike is intact. While it may seem unbelievable, this is the reality in India.
motobliss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 05:40   #28120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobliss View Post
A car hitting a bike and getting damaged so much so that the car's radiator is leaking and the bike is intact. While it may seem unbelievable, this is the reality in India.
A spoked wheel on an adventure bike is at tough as it gets. The biker was extremely lucky that it got lodged into the car at a perfect 90 deg. angle. The tire/rubber would absorb the impact, but a plastic bumper would disintegrate. Its is a freak accident, and I would not read much into it.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 10:24   #28121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
A spoked wheel on an adventure bike is at tough as it gets.
But the bike involved in the accident here is a base variants(XR) which has an alloy wheel at the rear and not a spoked wheel.
Agree on the freakness of the accident though.
He should thank his stars that it wasn't a well & heavily built SUV.
vamsi2390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 18:51   #28122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post

Another example of a crumple zone in action.
I would imagine this should fall under the category of a frontal collision for the car. Would have expected the airbags to inflate. Strange that is didn't.

I didn't watch the video, but the bike seems to have handled itself extremely well.
Old 17th March 2019, 20:38   #28123
BHPian

Quote:
I would imagine this should fall under the category of a frontal collision for the car. Would have expected the airbags to inflate. Strange that is didn't.

I didn't watch the video, but the bike seems to have handled itself extremely well.
The airbags didn't deploy because it didn't had any!

It's a 2013 model Swift VDI.
Old 17th March 2019, 22:02   #28124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Outsider! View Post
The airbags didn't deploy because it didn't had any!

It's a 2013 model Swift VDI.
The chances of airbags deploying in this particular case is pretty less. It's something like hitting a pole in center of bumper which hasn't got sensors. You can read details in manual of any Maruti with airbags.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20190317220220__01.jpg
BoneCollector is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2019, 22:45   #28125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
It is good to see a dashcam being used in a heavy vehicle here in India. Will help drivers who are at no fault to at least some extent.
The other day when I was travelling, I was asked by a relative who got into my car as to what all the gadgets do. When I explained to him the rear and front dashcam, he couldn't understand why a camera should be recording all the time facing the outside especially.
As a matter of fact instead ofequipping cars with touchscreen and stuff, manufacturers should have integrated Dashcams as a standard safety feature.

In this case biker is at much as fault as anyone else, seems he panicked after taking the turn and lost control of the bike too. May the departed RIP.
AtheK is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks