Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2019, 00:01   #28081
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
This is one of the main road which connects the recently opened Kannur International airport and extensive road widening/repair works are in progress. ... ... ...
Thank you for the explanation. Not then, a clear-cut case of wrong-side driving.

Even though my attitude tends to be that it is always the driver's fault, whatever the situation, some of these road works are so badly marked as to be lethal. I recall meeting on-coming traffic, with my blood pressure increasingly rising until I reached the point where it was being diverted onto my side of the road.

Isn't it simple to properly mark such things at both ends? Apparently not
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 07:18   #28082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
It was captured on CCTV. Prima facie was due to an over speeding car, but that wasn't the case.
Looking at the pics gave an impression that this was a high speed crash where the entire right side of the car was ripped apart as it swiped against the truck.

The CCTV visuals show a totally different reality in which the car got crushed as it got dragged sideways by the massive momentum of a slow moving but fully loaded heavy truck.

Shows that its easy to get mislead from the pics and to jump to false conclusions, assumptions and blanket statements which may never be true. The forces in action and the reality can be so different, it will never show up in the photographs.

At 0:04 in the clip, the car seems to have suddenly swerved to the right and making contact with the truck before getting dragged. The truck seems to be moving in a straight line and only turned right after the collision.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 10th March 2019 at 07:32.
for_cars1 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 09:31   #28083
Senior - BHPian

Woman, 2 Daughters Dead As Car Catches Fire On Flyover In East Delhi

Source : NDTV
Quote:
Initial investigations reveal that compressed natural gas (CNG) leak at the back of their Datsun Go car led to the fire.
If the above is true, then it's another tragedy due to ill-fitted (cheap, non-certified ?) CNG kit.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 09:52   #28084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
99% of the people who honk at and undercut me are educated professionals who earn in upper tens of thousands per month.

Nothing much to do with income level and traffic discipline. Many of those who violate one-way rule on ORR Service Roads, Bengaluru proudly display their company badges
airbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 11:43   #28085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
99% of the people who honk at and undercut me are educated professionals who earn in upper tens of thousands per month.
Educated: They learnt science, math in school. They didn't learn about traffic. That makes them uneducated in the traffic sense subject.

A simple illustration: When the signal is green for vehicles, I see pedestrians trying to cross, getting in-between the vehicles and finally making it without breaking their bones due to hapless-benevolence of the vehicle drivers. Those pedestrian might have pHD in computer science but are uneducated in traffic sense.
Quote:
The current situation on our roads is really alarming and the worst thing is I don't see even small evidence of this improving.
Yes, the whole country is progressing at a similar pace in getting worse, it is same all over the country

Talking on the phone while driving was a frowned upon behaviour. Now it is accepted. The current trend is going against one-way, soon it will be a norm.
msdivy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 12:51   #28086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
A simple illustration: When the signal is green for vehicles, I see pedestrians trying to cross, getting in-between the vehicles and finally making it without breaking their bones due to hapless-benevolence of the vehicle drivers. Those pedestrian might have pHD in computer science but are uneducated in traffic sense.
Now that I am working from Bangalore for past few some months , I am one of them who HAS to take the chance to cross the road in between vehicles else , i will be forever waiting in the hot sun with no one even bothering to stop. Of course I dont try to cross when the signal is green or flowing, but even on red , crossing in between is a risk as majority of the educated drivers are either checking their phones, do not have the basic courtesy to stop for a pedestrian or just want to cover the last few meters of their daily commute and dont give a damn to us pedestrians. One way to ensure safety is cross in numbers like cattle, strength in numbers you see
mazda4life is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 15:07   #28087
Senior - BHPian

Two days back an accident happened on NH-37 at Khowang, Dibrugarh, Assam. Six people were travelling in the Maruti Omni, five killed and one seriously injured.

Enough is already written on this forum about safety standards of Maruti Omni
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-khowangaccident.jpg  

Last edited by airbus : 12th March 2019 at 15:28.
airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 19:58   #28088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Two days back an accident happened on NH-37 at Khowang, Dibrugarh, Assam. Six people were travelling in the Maruti Omni, five killed and one seriously injured.

Enough is already written on this forum about safety standards of Maruti Omni
From this accident and yesterday's thread about Creta's roof getting ripped off by a flying Honda City, my take away is this:
Even if we follow our lane and speed limits, we live in a place where anything can happen and any car can come flying at you from anywhere sometimes unavoidable through defensive and anticipatory driving.
As much as defensive driving is important, it is also very important to buy the safest car possible within our budget.
The minimum standards to buy a car is 4 star NCAP rating, 2 airbags, ABS+EBD. The more the airbags and NCAP rating, the merrier.
Always use front/rear facing child seat/ booster seat when children are onboard.
Even if it is not our fault, with the safe car, the probability to walk away from an accident increases and a good zero dep insurance will pay for the next car.

Last edited by theMAG : 12th March 2019 at 22:28. Reason: Grammatical error fixed. "without"="within"
Arwin07 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 23:12   #28089
BHPian

Got these images of Facebook.
Apparently took place somewhere on the NH4 not sure though. Nexon seems to have taken it quite well while looking at the Creta has got me thinking here.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1552412191313.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1552412189066.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1552412198486.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1552412194012.jpg

Image credits to the respective owners.

Last edited by OverKill : 12th March 2019 at 23:41.
OverKill is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 23:19   #28090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverKill View Post
Apparently took place somewhere on the NH4 not sure though. Nexon seems to have taken it quite well while looking at the Creta has got me thinking here.
That is exactly what happens when one doesn't maintain enough distance between one's car, and the car in front. It's a typical scene in this country, and judging by the fact that out traffic scene is becoming more chaotic by the day, I don't think it's going to change any time soon. Hopefully the Creta's driver has learnt his lesson.

As for the Nexon, much about its build quality has been discussed in detail in this thread (Tata Nexon: Global NCAP’s first 5-Star Indian car).

Last edited by boniver : 12th March 2019 at 23:48. Reason: Adding link to Nexon NCAP thread
Old 13th March 2019, 13:51   #28091
Senior - BHPian

A Video of a recent accident at my hometown Anand. A car drove over an unmarked divider. As per news, it was a CNG car. Just after this bang, the door got locked and the driver died on the spot. Notice from 00.12.

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th March 2019 at 15:53.
SJM1214 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 15:49   #28092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverKill View Post
There is almost a series of accidents involving Tata Nexon, set in different settings, with similar outcomes, Nexon doing fairly well and coming out as solidly built safe car.

I feel that recent increase in sale nos of Nexon is result of this indirect marketing.
BANDHAV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 18:04   #28093
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
A Video of a recent accident at my hometown Anand. A car drove over an unmarked divider. As per news, it was a CNG car. Just after this bang, the door got locked and the driver died on the spot. Notice from 00.12.

Damn. Speed indeed kills.

At a lower speed, he might have been able to spot this median and stop or swerve. And like numerous other spots across the country like this, it must be unmarked, no reflectors, nothing to warn motorists of the sudden outcrop.
Dry Ice is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 18:07   #28094
BHPian

The divider already looks damaged.
Perhaps a common site for accidents?

A similar accident happened near my home a couple of weeks back. We have a gap in the median. But after the gap, the divider is misaligned w.r.t. to the previous divider line. So, someone new to the area who's driving close to the divider will surely be taken by surprise after the gap in the median, and that's exactly what happened in the case I'm talking about. Thankfully, there were no casualties. Occupants sustained minor injuries.

Quote:
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 18:16   #28095
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A car drove over an unmarked divider
Unmarked dividers are killers and we have a thread dedicated to it.

In case of this accident, I would partly blame the Autorickshaw driver too for parking it so casually blocking nearly a lane and that car tried to maintain better distance while passing the same and in-turn ended up climbing that median.

You won't climb a median only under these 2 circumstances:

- You know the roads of your town/city like the back of your hand and anticipate where the median starts
- You get slower as soon as you spot a potential obstacle (in this case the Autorickshaw)

I have seen so many cars either collide or jump the median like this Figo who I call very very lucky and to anticipate this median even as a local to the city is extremely difficult under darkness and when it rains:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-figo_esteem_mall.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th March 2019 at 18:22.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks