Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2019, 15:19   #28231
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post

Another day, another accident where a car completely 'under-run' a trailer lorry. This time the victim is a Tamilnadu ex-MLA and his family on Chennai-Bengaluru highway near Ambur in Innova.
RIP.
I crossed this spot just a few minutes after the accident with people waiting for the ambulance. It was a horrible sight with no one in a position to help the victims as the car was completely stuck under the truck. The ambulances we're just arriving at the scene when we crossed.

We could see tyre marks on the road that suggests that the truck would've braked suddenly.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190406wa0016.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190406wa0015.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20190406wa0013.jpg  

arun_josie is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 15:42   #28232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post

Another day, another accident where a car completely 'under-run' a trailer lorry. This time the victim is a Tamilnadu ex-MLA and his family on Chennai-Bengaluru highway near Ambur in Innova.
It doesn't seem to be only the usual lack of under run bar in this case. The truck appear to be having an extra long load jutting well out of the truck bed. An under run bar under the bed might not have done anything better.

I don't know if the longer load was well marked or had additional tail lamps etc. We all know that these kind of extra heavier, wider and longer loads are so common in our roads without any additional precautions taken.

Don't know what we can do other than staying well behind these trucks and overtake them as safely and quickly as possible.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 6th April 2019 at 15:43.
Yieldway17 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 21:30   #28233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
It doesn't seem to be only the usual lack of under run bar in this case. The truck appear to be having an extra long load jutting well out of the truck bed. An under run bar under the bed might not have done anything better.
The load hasn't suffered any damage nor caused any. The car has entered from underneath the load, clean into the trailer. The bed of the trailer has ripped the roof out, and along with the frame of the car, like a peeled potato.

Again one wonders if one should leave one's life in the hands of rules and other people's ability to comprehend and follow them, especially when we acknowledge in the same breath that compliance to such rules is low.

This one was certainly an avoidable accident.
Old 6th April 2019, 22:18   #28234
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
We could see tyre marks on the road that suggests that the truck would've braked suddenly.
from the looks of it, very likely the accident happened in non-daylight hours. What seems to be most pathetic is "danger, khatra" scrawled in hindi with a chalk piece on the rear end of the jutting out load. I don't think an underrun bar would have helped much (maybe reduced the extent of penetration underneath from full length of the car to 3/4 length of the car perhaps) with absolutely no care given to clearly indicate the extent of the extra length of the load.

Last edited by venkyhere : 6th April 2019 at 22:20.
venkyhere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 22:56   #28235
Senior - BHPian

That is a sturdy mobile.

ecenandu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 23:39   #28236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
That is a sturdy mobile.
I think its the only thing that would've survived in this scenario, can't say the same for the insane driver & his scooter. Maybe I'm being a bit inappropriate here but I liked how the tyre fell on the phone - slowly & signifying an end.

Last edited by jailbird_fynix : 6th April 2019 at 23:43.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 10:47   #28237
BHPian

Quote:
From the photographs the truck bed looks like a modified Jugad to carry such a load. I have never seen 'I' Beams used for a truck bed.

It also looks like the Innova was following close behind and there are no signs that it made any attempt to avoid the disaster. Distracted maybe or drowsy. RIP.

Just thought I would mention a Honda, on Friday night that was following a truck without working tail lamps, doing 100+ on NICE road at a distance less that 2 meters. People really do such stunts and expect a favourable outcome from their airbags, in case anything goes wrong.

Quote:
That is a sturdy mobile.
He should have bought a GoPro instead of a Mobile. I am guessing the phone is either held in his hand or clipped inside his helmet. Either way he just ruined that trucker's day.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 11:03   #28238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
From the photographs the truck bed looks like a modified Jugad to carry such a load. I have never seen 'I' Beams used for a truck bed.

It also looks like the Innova was following close behind and there are no signs that it made any attempt to avoid the disaster. Distracted maybe or drowsy. RIP.

The extent of damage to the Innova suggests that the vehicle was at a high speed and the driver realised the truck's existence only at the last minute.

The truck is in the middle lane, so it is possible that the Innova was weaving between lanes and pulled out from behind another heavy vehicle to suddenly realise that it's path was blocked.
shaktisarangi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 12:14   #28239
BHPian

Quote:
That is a sturdy mobile.
There is a 'solid' reason why the white broken line became a white solid line at around 47th second before the start of the curve.

When driving license is given to people who don't know the difference between broken and solid lines, this is what happens.

Road rules and traffic manners should be introduced as a separate subject from 6th to 10th standards. Minimum qualification for applying for driving license should be 18 years of age with more than 85% marks in the 'Road rules & traffic manners' subject in 10th standard. RTO testing standards for driving/riding should be on par with Western countries, especially Germany. Failure rate in driving test should be more than 50%.

We live in a country where anyone above 18 years has a driving license as a birthright.

RIP.
Arwin07 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 18:57   #28240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Here is the mangled innova.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-innova.jpg

It looks like two tyres(from the middle axle, rear) of the truck burst/lost air instantly and due to which the truck would have slowed down drastically. The speeding innova either didn't notice or the dozed off and rear ended the truck.
arun_josie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 19:41   #28241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It looks like two tyres(from the middle axle, rear) of the truck burst/lost air instantly and due to which the truck would have slowed down drastically. The speeding innova either didn't notice or the dozed off and rear ended the truck.
I was wondering if the signage ahead acted as an overhead barrier for the truck to apply brakes abruptly?

Last edited by airbus : 7th April 2019 at 20:07.
airbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 23:34   #28242
Senior - BHPian

Saw this Ertiga burning today.
Time: Approx 8.30am.
Place: Mumbai Pune expressway just after Bhatan tunnel.

Don't know the status of the people in the car.

Please excuse the quality of the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20190407_233128.jpg  

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 7th April 2019 at 23:35.
Old 7th April 2019, 23:48   #28243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
I was wondering if the signage ahead acted as an overhead barrier for the truck to apply brakes abruptly?
That looks to be a probable reason. He must have spotted it suddenly and braked to pass through under it cautiously, and Innova driver coming behind in high speeds just froze mis-judging the speed of this extra long vehicle.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 00:49   #28244
BHPian

An overspeeding Maruti Ritz on the Pala Kottayam State highway in Kerala with 6 people in it has crashed into a tree killing 5 on spot and injuring one. Eye witnesses say 3 of them were thrown out of the car. I guess none of them would have worn seatbelts.

Attaching a link to the news

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le26764385.ece
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 12:12   #28245
Senior - BHPian

In Tamil Nadu, 2 teens take bus for joyride, crash vehicle, let off after warning | Chennai News - Times of India https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/68764518.cms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks