Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2018, 14:08   #27331
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Came across 3 news articles on The Hindu about road accidents in Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh & Odisha, but one common theme: vehicles loaded beyond their capacity. When will we Indians learn to respect basic Physics and human life

1. 8 people in a WagonR: 3 dead on the spot as their car collided with a TNSTC bus near Ramanathapuram in TN.(link)

2. 21 people in a Tata ACE: Six dead and remaining 15 injured. Unknown truck/bus collided with their ACE which was stationary due to breakdown. Happened in Kurnool district of AP.(link)

3. 10 people in a Bolero. All dead when a truck rammed into their vehicle in Nuapada district of Odisha. (link)

The victims may not have been directly responsible for their fate in each of the above accidents. But, they sure invited trouble when they overloaded vehicles beyond its capacity.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 14:15   #27332
Distinguished - BHPian

The attempt to pass through a gap between two large vehicles was suicidal. It was also sadly typical. For those people, they are the only thing on the road, and all else must shift around them.

It is also plain that the driver does not think that the water on the road calls for any change at all in his driving. This ignorance is not at all limited to 2-wheelers.

In the face of such riders, brake lights are irrelevant. If the guy can't take notice of a truck big enough to pulverise him without even noticing, what notice will be take of brake lights? Along with turning indicators, they are just decorations to such riders.

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 14:55   #27333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Came across 3 news articles on The Hindu about road accidents in Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh & Odisha, but one common theme: vehicles loaded beyond their capacity.
Add to your list this one from today morning in Payyannur, Kerala:

https://english.mathrubhumi.com/news...nnur-1.3232189

8 people in what looks to me was a Duster.
Old 17th October 2018, 18:26   #27334
BHPian

This video shows the difference between a car crash with a truck with underrun protection bar Vs without.

With underrun protection bar (side and rear), the bar is the structure that hits the bonnet of the car and is just like a car to car crash where airbags will save lives.

Without underrun protection bars, the car's windshield, A pillar are the structures that come into contact with truck. Though airbags may be deployed due to sudden deceleration, it is not useful as the truck hits the head of the car occupants. Also A pillar is not a crumple zone unlike bonnet. (Experts please confirm or correct me if wrong).
Arwin07 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 18:47   #27335
BHPian

Name:  Helmet__10.png
Views: 7511
Size:  167.8 KB
Name:  Helmet__09.png
Views: 7465
Size:  166.5 KB
Name:  Helmet__08.png
Views: 7505
Size:  166.4 KB
Name:  Helmet__07.png
Views: 7471
Size:  167.4 KB
Name:  Helmet__06.png
Views: 7451
Size:  161.0 KB
Name:  Helmet__05.png
Views: 7449
Size:  164.9 KB
Name:  Helmet__04.png
Views: 7398
Size:  166.4 KB
Name:  Helmet__03.png
Views: 7419
Size:  166.6 KB
Name:  Helmet__02.png
Views: 7357
Size:  162.2 KB
Name:  Helmet_.png
Views: 7381
Size:  164.0 KB

Found this in Youtube. That is some crash test. Also highlights the importance of helmet.

Last edited by Sarvodaya : 17th October 2018 at 18:56.
Sarvodaya is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 18:57   #27336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Found this in Youtube. That is some crash test. Also highlights the importance of helmet.
I can't... I can't even begin to fathom what he was trying to do?!

Was he trying for platform 9 3/4, to catch the Hogwarts Express?

Cases like this need their head scanned - even before the impact.
arunphilip is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 10:17   #27337
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I can't... I can't even begin to fathom what he was trying to do?!

Was he trying for platform 9 3/4, to catch the Hogwarts Express?
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_4363.jpg

It worked for me but you need that magic touch!
ajmat is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 22:27   #27338
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this online, not sure how car ended up there. Initially I thought it was some kind of elaborate prank, however on seeing expression of car occupants, I don't think so.

http://ishare.rediff.com/video/other...anker/10991743

Last edited by mpksuhas : 18th October 2018 at 22:45. Reason: Editing car brand, oversight during initial post.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 22:37   #27339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Came across this online, not sure how Alto ended up there. Initially I thought it was some kind of elaborate prank, however on seeing expression of car occupants, I don't think so.
That's an Indica/Indigo. With such vehicles like the Stallion or 4×4 of Army where driver is perched high up with very limited to no visibility just in front of vehicle, such incidents have happened and are kind of common. I've seen a Maruti 800 getting dragged for quite some distance by a dumper, thankfully nothing happened like in this case.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 22:51   #27340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Came across this online, not sure how car ended up there. Initially I thought it was some kind of elaborate prank, however on seeing expression of car occupants, I don't think so.
Seems like the car driver tried to overtake the monster truck from wrong side, but got too close. The car got hit on rear right corner, resulting it to spin in front of the truck.

As for the truck driver, the car would have been in his blind spot before and even after coming in front. And given the muscle the truck had, the driver didn't realise he hit something and started to move again.

In my opinion, fault lies with the car driver. I am saying this with experience of living in a cantonment where such monster vehicles were common (Few had tire height more than 6 feet). No one dared to play chicken with any of those.

Common sense says that stay clear of even normal trucks and buses, let apart such behemoths. But then common sense is not that common.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 18th October 2018 at 22:58. Reason: quoted post edited for car brand
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 00:28   #27341
Senior - BHPian

A KTM banged into an i10. At my hometown Anand.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1539888893431.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1539888887516.jpg
SJM1214 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 06:02   #27342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Common sense says that stay clear of even normal trucks and buses, let apart such behemoths. But then common sense is not that common.
Driving is not common sense. It is more of driving sense. Hence there is RTO, who assess this sense before issuing the licence to drive.
Old 19th October 2018, 09:36   #27343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Driving is not common sense. It is more of driving sense. Hence there is RTO, who assess this sense before issuing the licence to drive.
Speaking of driving sense and the role of the RTO (or the lack thereof), here in Chennai, I saw a two wheeler throwing a fit of roadrage at a huge, multi-axled water tanker for taking a wide turn. The idiot on two wheels had tried to overtake on the left whilst the super tanker had long since indicated a left turn and he had gone over to the rightmost lane in order to execute a left turn. The idiot could've gotten crushed underneath axle #2...except that the cleaner of the lorry had warned the driver to stop just on time.

So here's the thing - every Tom, Dick and Harry in developed countries would know that heavy vehicles need extra room to turn. It's not something that's inborn. It is quite a struggle to first clear the computerised knowledge-test that DMVs make you take in the US for instance. I actually had to study every page of a 100 page PDF file for getting the state of Connecticut's DL. I only scored 21 out of 25 despite my best efforts; you need to score at least 20 to pass. That's how tough stage 1 of driving license tests should be. Stage 2 (the road test) is a way tougher thing to clear and meanwhile enough people fail stage 1 itself...

Our RTOs have let us down big time. They've abdicated their role in educating and weeding out potentially rotten road users.
locusjag is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 11:39   #27344
BHPian

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...lorry-tn-90208

Private sleeper bus catches fire in Ulundurpettai, Tamilnadu after it hits a tanker lorry taking U turn. 4 charred to death on spot.

It was due to a passenger, a Policeman, who enquired the location of emergency exit in bus during the start of the journey and opened the emergency exit door after to lead all but 1 passenger to safety, that more deaths were prevented. The other 3 who charred to death are drivers, cleaners of bus and lorry.

I can't forget the fire in Bangalore to Hyderabad bus where 45 passengers were killed in 2013.

This incident tells the importance of:
1. Identifying and memorising emergency exits while boarding a bus or train (and aeroplanes too).

2. Carrying a 'Glass breaker and seatbelt cutter' (which costs Rs.200-300) in car and while travelling in bus or train.

3. Carrying small fire extinguisher in car (and keep it handy but not exposed to direct sunlight- under armrest or glovebox).

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Speaking of driving sense and the role of the RTO (or the lack thereof), here in Chennai, I saw a two wheeler throwing a fit of roadrage at a huge, multi-axled water tanker for taking a wide turn. The idiot on two wheels had tried to overtake on the left whilst the super tanker had long since indicated a left turn and he had gone over to the rightmost lane in order to execute a left turn. The idiot could've gotten crushed underneath axle #2...except that the cleaner of the lorry had warned the driver to stop just on time.

So here's the thing - every Tom, Dick and Harry in developed countries would know that heavy vehicles need extra room to turn. It's not something that's inborn. It is quite a struggle to first clear the computerised knowledge-test that DMVs make you take in the US for instance. I actually had to study every page of a 100 page PDF file for getting the state of Connecticut's DL. I only scored 21 out of 25 despite my best efforts; you need to score at least 20 to pass. That's how tough stage 1 of driving license tests should be. Stage 2 (the road test) is a way tougher thing to clear and meanwhile enough people fail stage 1 itself...

Our RTOs have let us down big time. They've abdicated their role in educating and weeding out potentially rotten road users.
I had pitched my idea on another thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post4477766 (Crowdsourcing ideas to reduce accidents - I'm helping the District Administration)

Sharing the relevant point here regarding RTO and road safety education reforms needed desperately in India.

"10th standard (SSLC) is the minimum requirement for driving license. So, Central government should enact a law and encourage states to enact similar laws (as education is in concurrent list) that:
- 'Road safety' should be a compulsory separate subject from 6th standard upto SSLC (10th standard).
- It should cover the important features of Motor Vehicles Act, defensive driving, road safety.
- The subject should have weightage equal to Maths, Science, Social science etc. and can be taken in the medium of instruction of the school, either English or any official languages.
- So, by 10th standard, all students will know the basis of road rules and safety. Only those with 18 years of age PLUS 75% or more marks in 10th standard in 'Road safety' subject should be able to apply for Learners license."

And as Locusjag said, there should be a very strict RTO testing of both theory and detailed practical driving tests.

But this is a long term solution for road safety in India and needs a lot of political will. But all I see is everyone is looking for quick fixes, and they backfire.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th October 2018 at 08:29. Reason: Back to back posts
Arwin07 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 12:45   #27345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
What do they assess, apart from the ability to open the door on the driver's side and get in? Or get one leg each side of a 2-wheeler and hold on?

When I took my Chennai test, all rust was required was to drive 100 metres straight. I saw 2 wheelers who could barely even balance.

Anyone can take a proper driving test elsewhere in the world and drive like an idiot after passing, but at least they had some sort of grounding.

If a person can walk, they can ride a bike. Surely it is much the same thing just adding an engine, and the potential for youngsters to do silly stunts which are the only driving skills that interest then.

This is a deadly formula, a deadly attitude. But nobody seems to care. Building new roads may perhaps influence voters, but making them safer by training drivers does not.

We can be sure this thread will never lack material
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks