Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2018, 13:01   #27211
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Received this video as a Whatsapp forward. The kid is really lucky to survive this incident and seems none of the other kids has seen this. Also, the lady is oblivious to this and doesn't seem to feel anything under the car and drove away normally.

jpcoolguy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 13:15   #27212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Received this video as a Whatsapp forward.
Tweeted by Bangalore City Police.

Appears incident in Bangalore

Scary incident

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses...76705541754880

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th September 2018 at 13:56. Reason: Removing youtube URL for quoted post = repetition.
Old 27th September 2018, 13:44   #27213
BHPian

Apparently, this happened in Mumbai it seems.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65974025.cms
sami316 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 13:51   #27214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The kid is really lucky to survive this incident and seems none of the other kids has seen this. Also, the lady is oblivious to this and doesn't seem to feel anything under the car and drove away normally.
Very lucky for the kid that he was small enough to be driven over like that, and get up apparently unharmed.

This is one of the accidents that terrifies me as a driver - shared parking spaces/play areas. Not every builder demarcates separate play areas and parking areas/driveways, and not every buyer is willing/able to choose an apartment that has this demarcation. Our streets are unsafe to children/people, and now even our homes cannot offer them a save haven.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 14:04   #27215
BHPian

Quote:
Received this video as a Whatsapp forward. The kid is really lucky to survive this incident and seems none of the other kids has seen this. Also, the lady is oblivious to this and doesn't seem to feel anything under the car and drove away normally.
1. Glad that the kid was ok
2. The lady in question did not realise that she drove over a kid
3. The passenger side door of the car is open

All in all, someone in a hurry or really bad at driving! Basically she has the potential to create another accident just after leaving the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20180927-2.01.44-pm.jpg  

shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 14:08   #27216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
1. Glad that the kid was ok
2. The lady in question did not realise that she drove over a kid
3. The passenger side door of the car is open

All in all, someone in a hurry or really bad at driving! Basically she has the potential to create another accident just after leaving the frame.
Also we mustn't forget to mention that one headlight is fused.
I may be wrong but the functioning lamp seems to be on high beam, possibly to compensate for the fused bulb.
Being aware of fused/blown bulbs and not doing anything about it is also a mistake in my books.
Turrrb0 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 14:14   #27217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shocking video. How can she just continue driving like that?!!

What is surprising to me is that, she cared enough to step out and open her LHS ORVM, but left the front left door hanging open like that!

But yeah blind spots are dangerous and this could happen to anyone. But I would imagine one would hard brake immediately if you feel/hear the sound of hitting something/ someone, esp at parking speeds. Front parking sensors are really useful in such scenarios. In fact front and rear sensors have saved me multiple times from going over culverts and big stones hiding in blind spots. My instinctive reaction is to brake as soon as I hear an unexpected beep. And with those progressive beeps, it's literally like some shouting in anguish.

Edit : Looks like there was a kind of a protruding parting line on ground inside which was parked. She hit and went over the kid just as her front wheels went diagonally over it. You can see the car oscillating. Quite possible she did not realise she went over the kid because of this.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 27th September 2018 at 14:22. Reason: Added observation
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 14:35   #27218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Edit : Looks like there was a kind of a protruding parting line on ground inside which was parked. She hit and went over the kid just as her front wheels went diagonally over it. You can see the car oscillating. Quite possible she did not realise she went over the kid because of this.
You are right, seems to be a protruding cover on the right. The front right wheel does go over it and the car bobs around thereafter right before the kid goes under.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2018, 14:56   #27219
BHPian

Quote:
But yeah blind spots are dangerous and this could happen to anyone. But I would imagine one would hard brake immediately if you feel/hear the sound of hitting something/ someone, esp at parking speeds. Front parking sensors are really useful in such scenarios. In fact front and rear sensors have saved me multiple times from going over culverts and big stones hiding in blind spots.
I think, one of the reason why the government has chosen to make the rear parking sensors mandatory, is to avoid the incidents where the kids may be ran over while reversing the car. However, after seeing this incident I am inclined to think the front parking sensors should also be made mandatory. But, here in the video, the lady seems to be in such a hurry that she may not have been patient enough to listen to parking sensors as well.
Old 27th September 2018, 17:39   #27220
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
You are right, seems to be a protruding cover on the right. The front right wheel does go over it and the car bobs around thereafter right before the kid goes under.
Yes agreed, but even then the sound of skin and flesh hitting against the bumper is a very distinct sound despite the oscillation due to the cover, it should've been heard.

The most shocking thing though is her just driving away. Shouldn't she have stopped immediately to close the door at least?

Again another case of too many wrongs happening at the same time. This was a completely avoidable incident from so many angles.
Old 27th September 2018, 17:52   #27221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
Yes agreed, but even then the sound of skin and flesh hitting against the bumper is a very distinct sound despite the oscillation due to the cover, it should've been heard.

The most shocking thing though is her just driving away. Shouldn't she have stopped immediately to close the door at least?

Again another case of too many wrongs happening at the same time. This was a completely avoidable incident from so many angles.
Shouldn't this incident come under the thread of BAD DRIVERS. Without any second thoughts, I will give the tag of a bad driver to the lady.

1. Driving an One eyed monster
2. Side door partially open
3. Driving in a hurry not realizing that kids are playing around.
Old 27th September 2018, 23:13   #27222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think, one of the reason why the government has chosen to make the rear parking sensors mandatory, is to avoid the incidents where the kids may be ran over while reversing the car. ... ... ...
We have to believe them!

In a car park, I was reversing towards a wall. The reversing alarm became a continuous tone, but I looked at the wall and saw that it was a long way away. Kept going. Thump. Tree stump right in the centre of the bumper

Thankfully it did not cause any damage, and double-thankfully it was not a living thing!

I don't know how high an obstacle has to be. I don't think a speed hump triggers it, so: would, for instance, a sleeping human? We have to believe our gadgets, but not stopping using our eyes properly.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 08:52   #27223
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
We have to believe them!

In a car park, I was reversing towards a wall. The reversing alarm became a continuous tone, but I looked at the wall and saw that it was a long way away. Kept going. Thump. Tree stump right in the centre of the bumper

Thankfully it did not cause any damage, and double-thankfully it was not a living thing!

I don't know how high an obstacle has to be. I don't think a speed hump triggers it, so: would, for instance, a sleeping human? We have to believe our gadgets, but not stopping using our eyes properly.
Recently, few weeks back, similar incident happened to me. Was reversing into a parking lot made of simple iron rods. Made sure only horizontal rod was there at the back and started happily reversing thinking my sensors will bark when I go near. Thump Thump. I realised my foolishness that the rod was above the sensor height and nothing at the bottom for sensor to sense. Now living with a dent at the back.

Last edited by sud : 28th September 2018 at 08:55.
sud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 11:57   #27224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
We have to believe them!

By contrast, my car doesn't have parking sensors and I only have a rear view camera. This is a much better set up and it really does work. I still do a walk around the car before I start, and while I reverse I still use the mirrors and only glance at the screen. Where this actually shines is reversing into traffic. This just gives so much information that you simply cannot get by looking through a window. I can clearly see vehicles from far away and judge when to reverse.

And as for having something in the blind spots ahead of the car, if it's a living thing, a horn might work, and for a non living immovable object, the walk around works. In the particular case of the Wagon R, it's not rocket science to figure out she is a newbie driver and not a careful one. The interior lights are glowing and she doesn't even notice that. Even if there is no door ajar warning light on the dashboard, the interior light should have been a clue. Also, is it possible she was too low in the car that she couldn't see anything ahead? I have seen plenty of such cases.
esoticoreventon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 12:04   #27225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
By contrast, my car doesn't have parking sensors and I only have a rear view camera.
In my case, several years back I was driving a Ritz (similar tallboy stance as a Wagon R) with just a parking sensor. The road is at a slight downslope from my apartment's parking area so I had to reverse down it in a vehicle with restricted rear visibility due to its high stance.

A dog that usually lazed around our building (apartment pet so to speak) so if someone told her to move, she'd move was there, I told her to move and backed the car down. She was too small to register on the parking sensor, and not terribly visible in the mirrors. Massive blind spot at the back - and I had my eyes open and doors shut unlike this woman.

My wheel ran over that dog - which is something that I still regret. She lived in pain for several days despite treatment, and then died pretty young (hardly 4 years old).

I still have that on my conscience and only thank god that it was not a small baby for example.
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks