Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2019, 00:03   #28471

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

While returning from Hyderabad to Bangalore today early morning, saw this truck with raw mangoes, toppled on side of the road and left lane completely blocked.

Looking at the traffic, it seems to have happened minutes ago.

Could not confirm but it seemd there were no serious injuries or casualties.
Old 8th May 2019, 17:53   #28472
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Feel sorry for the swift guy. But look how the panels flex

Although hopefully the body-shell stayed intact. For the TATA (Hexa), well business as usual.
When we are getting too close to the vehicle in the front at a higher speed than what we could control, we must gently tap the brake pedal so that it is barely enough to get the rear brake lamps light up while slowing down by taking our foot off the accelerator. This makes the vehicles coming from behind lose interest in tailing us closely.

In cities, it is easier said than done. But it pays to invest some time just to lose the tailgating vehicle by slowing down and giving way.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th May 2019 at 21:48. Reason: Typo
COMMUTER is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 18:06   #28473
Distinguished - BHPian

It is so tempting to frustrate tailgaters, but the bottom line is that it is safer to have them ahead than behind.

Good point about brake lights. Even when slowing by engine braking alone, it can be a very good idea to touch the brake, thus sending that signal to those behind. We should know how far the pedal needs to be pressed to turn on the brake lights; in my experience, usually not very far.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 21:15   #28474
Senior - BHPian

Happened yesterday at Agara flyover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Just saw that a big truck has climbed over the flyover on the other side. Police busy removing the trailer.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-59978449_1069424079924376_5738394328309432320_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-silk-board-accident.jpeg

Ref: https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...k-board-101345

Last edited by msdivy : 8th May 2019 at 21:17.
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 23:33   #28475
BHPian

I don’t have a video or picture to post but in the last 2 days I had encountered 2 close incidents of tyres bursting in heavy rocks laden trucks (BharatBenz ones on both instances if it matters).

One was just adjacent to me and I was shaken to the core and definitely a miracle my car windows survived that. Left my ears ringing for a while. I had seen so many videos of truck tyre bursts being deadly to people near them, I couldn’t shake it away from my mind.

Thankfully they both were on lower speeds of ~10-20kmph. Not sure what would have happened if they burst at high speed with the load of heavy rocks.
Yieldway17 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 12:22   #28476
BHPian

Got these images on WhatsApp. Someone managed to flip a Renault Duster on the Maa flyover last evening. No information on injuries / casualties.

This flyover is notorious for accidents. Speed cameras have to a certain extent made it safer, but accidents are still a regular occurrence on this stretch. I too have been rear-ended on this stretch while stationary for about 20 minutes (traffic was blocked due to a big accident ahead).
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo20190508212740-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo20190508212740.jpg  

fordfreak is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 12:37   #28477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Got these images on WhatsApp. Someone managed to flip a Renault Duster on the Maa flyover last evening. No information on injuries / casualties.

This flyover is notorious for accidents. Speed cameras have to a certain extent made it safer, but accidents are still a regular occurrence on this stretch. I too have been rear-ended on this stretch while stationary for about 20 minutes (traffic was blocked due to a big accident ahead).
Apparently he was trying to negotiate the evening traffic at a high speed, and flipped. It's a miracle he didn't hit any other car, since this could've easily turned into a very bad accident for others for no fault of theirs. There was one person in the car who's currently hospitalized with injuries. Apart from whatever penalty he receives, his DL should be cancelled immediately.

Last edited by boniver : 9th May 2019 at 12:41.
boniver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 12:53   #28478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Apparently he was trying to negotiate the evening traffic at a high speed, and flipped.
Details in today's newspapers

http://www.epaper.eisamay.com/Detail...23&boxid=36598

https://epaper.telegraphindia.com/im...11_i_1_sf.html
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 13:35   #28479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
My statements were based on the Telegraph article. However, the article from Ei Samay paints a completely different picture.

I cannot understand how two newspapers from what is essentially the same news company can provide such drastically different details:

1. The Telegraph article says the driver of the Duster rolled out of the car when the doors were flung open. The Ei Samay article says the doors got locked after the accident and the passengers were trapped inside.

2. In The Telegraph article, a policeman is quoted as saying that the Duster guy has been hospitalized with injuries. The Ei Samay article mentions that the driver was hospitalized with minor injuries, but till late at night the police couldn't find him. My brain is literally saying ?????? right now,

Also, I probably wasn't paying attention to the newspaper when I was reading it in the morning. I thought the Duster didn't hit anyone and managed to topple on its own. Apologies for the wrong facts in my first post about the incident.
Old 9th May 2019, 14:27   #28480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My statements were based on the Telegraph article. However, the article from Ei Samay paints a completely different picture.

I cannot understand how two newspapers from what is essentially the same news company can provide such drastically different details:

1. The Telegraph article says the driver of the Duster rolled out of the car when the doors were flung open. The Ei Samay article says the doors got locked after the accident and the passengers were trapped inside.

2. In The Telegraph article, a policeman is quoted as saying that the Duster guy has been hospitalized with injuries. The Ei Samay article mentions that the driver was hospitalized with minor injuries, but till late at night the police couldn't find him. My brain is literally saying ?????? right now,

Also, I probably wasn't paying attention to the newspaper when I was reading it in the morning. I thought the Duster didn't hit anyone and managed to topple on its own. Apologies for the wrong facts in my first post about the incident.
Newspapers mix equal parts of imagination with real incidents.

Also - Ei Samay is from the Times group, while The Telegraph is from the ABP group.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 14:35   #28481
BHPian

Quote:
Also - Ei Samay is from the Times group, while The Telegraph is from the ABP group.
My apologies, I always thought Ei Samay was a t2-esque tabloid handed out with Anandabazar Patrika No one in my family subscribes to vernacular newspapers :/
Old 9th May 2019, 14:39   #28482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My apologies, I always thought Ei Samay was a t2-esque tabloid handed out with Anandabazar Patrika No one in my family subscribes to vernacular newspapers :/
The tabloid you are referring to most probably is Ebela - easy to confuse between similar sounding names especially if you do not subscribe to either.

Last edited by blackasta : 9th May 2019 at 14:41.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 21:11   #28483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
The tabloid you are referring to most probably is Ebela - easy to confuse between similar sounding names especially if you do not subscribe to either.
It really baffles me how the Maa Flyover can turn into an accident hot-zone; especially when its considered to be a boon for the city considering the overall traffic situation.

Just last week, a brand new self driven Q7 driven at relatively low speeds (because of the speed cams) started flashing its beams as soon as it was out of the 'zone' and sped up overtaking me at crazy speeds just around the ITC/Science City corner (going towards Salt Lake). I had my heart in my mouth seeing the speed at which he took that corner. Probably because he was in a Q7 he came out safe. If only there were no speed cam zones and the entire flyover was monitored, maybe we could see a drastic drop in the accident rates.

Another thing that ticks me off is bikers stalling and chilling on the sides in relatively high speed (max-60 kmph) sections of this flyover. I wonder what these bikers do? Take a phone call? How important can a phone call be? Calling death may be.

Last edited by Pancham : 9th May 2019 at 21:14.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 22:19   #28484
BHPian

Met with a small accident today morning near Beawar on return to Delhi from Mumbai, our car hit a bunch of cows sprinting across NH-8.

The cows, passengers and the car all survived. S-Cross took the hit well, I managed to brake in time, had an Verna tailgating me so braked slowly!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20190509_071025.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20190509_071032.jpg

Last edited by sinharishi : 9th May 2019 at 22:48.
sinharishi is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 13:32   #28485
Distinguished - BHPian

Nagpur: Two cars collided at midnight (4th -5th May 2019 intervening night), killing two occupants of the Maruti Ritz, who according to the newsreport were seated on the left side of the car. The occupants were returning after attending a function. The other car involved was a Honda City that was being driven by a 21 year old man with his friends, who were moving towards the Futala Lake (frequented by youngsters) promenade for a joyride.The Honda City driver was not able to sight the Maruti Ritz at the Law College Square and dashed it from the left side ripping apart the smaller car.

https://www.thehitavada.com/Encyc/20...h-at-Law-.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks